Shipping across border duty?

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2013 11:38 am
[OP]
May 7, 2013
1 posts
ABBOTSFORD

Shipping across border duty?

I have ordered online before from the US and had it shipped to me in canada before.

Plus, a couple of my friends have also ordered things online that are over the $100 per person limit and simply had it shipped to
ShipHappens right across Sumas border.

I want to buy a TV online from an American retailer and have it shipped to that location. Since it is a parcel delivery will I be charged duty on when I try to bring it across or not?
Any GST or PST?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
3822 posts
1081 upvotes
High River, AB
For something as large and expensive as a TV, you are almost certain to be charged tax AND duty. Expect it and factor that into your price.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
184 upvotes
Surrey
bobbylii wrote:
May 8th, 2013 11:40 pm
I want to buy a TV online from an American retailer and have it shipped to that location. Since it is a parcel delivery will I be charged duty on when I try to bring it across or not?
Any GST or PST?
Maybe you will, maybe you won't. Ultimately it's at the whim of the border guard. Just declare honestly and be polite but go with the expectation you will be sent inside to pay taxes. That way if you get waived through, you've just come out ahead. I'd say if it's a TV, good chances you'll pay taxes, but still it's cheaper than buying from Canada, right?

Oh...and buy some groceries. And when they ask if you have anything to declare, declare the groceries first. :-)
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4884 posts
821 upvotes
BC
bobbylii wrote:
May 8th, 2013 11:40 pm
......... Plus, a couple of my friends have also ordered things online that are over the $100 per person limit and simply had it shipped to
ShipHappens right across Sumas border.

Any GST or PST?
There is no such thing as a $100 per person limit.

Your personal exemptions when you bring goods across the border yourself are either $200 (after 24 hrs. absence) or $800 (after 48 hrs. or more absence).

For online purchases that are delivered to you in Canada, tax and duty is never collected if the item is under $20 CDN in value.

Above that, there is no documented threshold at which point tax is collected. It varies, so I certainly would not assume a number like $100 as a threshold.

For a TV picked up from a package receiver like Ship Happens you will almost certainly be required to pay 12% tax (5% GST + 7 % PST).

Depending on the CBSA officer, they could add something like a 5% tariff/duty if made outside NAFTA, and even include the cost of shipping to Sumas, Wa. in the item value, if they want to go by the book. Unlikely though.

Ensure that it makes economic sense after accounting for risk of shipping damage, wrong model shipped, and any warranty considerations. Savings need to be well in excess of a few hundred dollars IMO.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1486 posts
189 upvotes
If I understand correctly, the PST GST is in top of any duties.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9208 posts
416 upvotes
Markham
doberman_baby wrote:
May 9th, 2013 11:04 am
If I understand correctly, the PST GST is in top of any duties.
Indeed it is.
:lol:
× < >