Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Shipping a BIG package from Russia to Canada HELP!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2017 7:28 pm
[OP]
Apr 9, 2017
3 posts

Shipping a BIG package from Russia to Canada HELP!

I purchased a wholesale lot of items in Russia which weighs a total of 275KG and will be shipped to Canada - what would be the best courier in Russia to use to ship this to me seamlessly and what do you estimate the shipping cost (in rubles) to be?

Im currently being quoted 65,000 rubles by the seller (hes not an exporter so he had a hard time finding a courier so its likley inflated) and he states there may be a possibility "It will not pass customs". Which courier should he use and is 65,000 rubles a reasonable price?

Any advice will be appreciated.
10 replies
Nov 22, 2008
246 posts
39 upvotes
You want this to be shipped by courier/air? Is there no way to ship this by ocean?

If by air, although you have the total weight, most airlines or couriers will require the cubic meter's it's going to occupy in the plane.

I don't have much experience shipping by ocean or air myself.. our supplier in China always arranged it via a forwarder.

Unless anyone else has a suggestion, clearit.ca/Arrival may help as a Canadian broker.. sometimes they have good connections.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7041 posts
866 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
65000 rubles sounds reasonable for an air shipment. But not sure of courier options.

You will also pay duties and taxes. If the shipper doesn't have export experience you might have to help out and figure out the Canadian hs codes for all the contents and be sure you know the country of manufacture for each item.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2755 posts
301 upvotes
Seriously? You bought then -then- decided to figure out how to get it here?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18061 posts
4628 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 9:51 pm
Seriously? You bought then -then- decided to figure out how to get it here?
Standard RFD mantra: Buy now, think later.
Apr 2, 2017
10 posts
The suppliers in exporting countries generally have the best contracts for shipping, I would suggest getting it shipped via ocean container if you are not in a hurry as it will take more than a month for delivery via ocean. other than that 65k rubbles is not a bad price for air freight quote for shipment that is 275 kg.
good luck!
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1073 posts
53 upvotes
YUL
Use the Russian side to arrange LTC ocean freight.

In the future get a CNF quote if neither party is familiar with import/export.
FOR SALE:
Always looking to sell USD for CDN at XE.com's rates.
Jul 13, 2007
507 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
65000 rubles = CAD$1600.
For 275kg by air, that's $5.8/kg.

I'm not familiar with shipping, but that doesn't sound bad at all.
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel