Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Shipping small packages within Canada (Cheapest provider)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2018 10:15 am
Tags:
None
May 21, 2007
218 posts
20 upvotes
Bump.

will be shipping about 10-20 small packages a month. approx 6"x6"x2".

Curious if there is anything cheaper than Canada Post with the low volume I need.

Thanks!
OakvilleNewHomes.ca - Your one stop resource for new home and condo developments in Oakville.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2380 posts
580 upvotes
I'm surprised no-one mentioned netparcel.

I used Flagship for about a year until I discovered netparcel.
Overall I think netparcel is cheaper.
Apr 21, 2015
3 posts
Toronto
Have you considered rate2ship!
For small parcels they have much better service and rates vs eshipper or net parcel.

We save an extra 20% - 30% easy compared to eshipper or netparcel.

Look around buddy.

Oh plus they constantly have promos going on. So more saving.

We've been shipping with them for a few months now and haven't had any adjustment charges.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7163 posts
1054 upvotes
SomeOtherDude wrote:
Aug 19th, 2015 6:41 pm
I'm surprised no-one mentioned netparcel.

I used Flagship for about a year until I discovered netparcel.
Overall I think netparcel is cheaper.
netparcel is the same company as eshipper, though I don't know why the rates are slightly different.
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
EPcjay wrote:
Oct 27th, 2015 1:02 am
netparcel is the same company as eshipper, though I don't know why the rates are slightly different.
Just because I was searching, I'd mention that netParcel and eShipper also have another company under the same umbrella; Freightcom.

I typically compare prices between these three (although it can be a bit of a pain in the ass as Freightcom doesn't work in Chrome and they seem to have certificate issues on their website and you also need to input the entire address in for the quote vs. netParcel).

We ship all random sizes/weights in packages and we also occasionally ship via LTL for larger boxes or skids. In my experience, Freightcom most of the time has the better rates among the three but none of the have the web experience that netParcel has.

I've also used Rate2Ship for a couple months now. They can be a couple bucks cheaper than the other three (or Canada Worldwide - what they call their parent company). Their customer service is pretty decent, quick to reply to emails and call you back if no one is avail by phone. I would caution using Swift Couriers with them though.. I think it's just a referral service (one of the drivers was from A to B). I've used them twice (via Rate2Ship) and both times they dispatched a vehicle that wasn't big enough for the shipment we had. The first time I needed something 120" in length and 60" in height and they sent a minivan, had to refuse the pickup and they sent out a Sprinter van instead.. second time was a 60x60 and they sent a GMC Safari (when I specifically email to ensure a Sprinter-like vehicle was sent). I had to actually use empty boxes to support the package underneath while it was put in sideways. It may be cheaper to use them, but it's not worth the headache or possibility of dispatching wrong vehicles etc or damaging your shipment. I'd suggest using Four Points Express or All Ontario Express. Freightcom by far has the cheapest LTL rates for larger boxes or skids. Often time they beat netParcel's rate by $20-50.
Dec 30, 2012
16 posts
thanks for the post. just check netParcel, for same shipment i did this morning with Canada Post, the quote is about 20% less. haven't check rest carriers yet. have you guys used the scheduled pickup option? it's free? if so, it's big saver of time and energy.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2834 posts
338 upvotes
Alberta
coangr wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2016 4:50 pm
Just because I was searching, I'd mention that netParcel and eShipper also have another company under the same umbrella; Freightcom.

I typically compare prices between these three (although it can be a bit of a pain in the ass as Freightcom doesn't work in Chrome and they seem to have certificate issues on their website and you also need to input the entire address in for the quote vs. netParcel).

We ship all random sizes/weights in packages and we also occasionally ship via LTL for larger boxes or skids. In my experience, Freightcom most of the time has the better rates among the three but none of the have the web experience that netParcel has.

I've also used Rate2Ship for a couple months now. They can be a couple bucks cheaper than the other three (or Canada Worldwide - what they call their parent company). Their customer service is pretty decent, quick to reply to emails and call you back if no one is avail by phone. I would caution using Swift Couriers with them though.. I think it's just a referral service (one of the drivers was from A to B). I've used them twice (via Rate2Ship) and both times they dispatched a vehicle that wasn't big enough for the shipment we had. The first time I needed something 120" in length and 60" in height and they sent a minivan, had to refuse the pickup and they sent out a Sprinter van instead.. second time was a 60x60 and they sent a GMC Safari (when I specifically email to ensure a Sprinter-like vehicle was sent). I had to actually use empty boxes to support the package underneath while it was put in sideways. It may be cheaper to use them, but it's not worth the headache or possibility of dispatching wrong vehicles etc or damaging your shipment. I'd suggest using Four Points Express or All Ontario Express. Freightcom by far has the cheapest LTL rates for larger boxes or skids. Often time they beat netParcel's rate by $20-50.
Tried Freightcom based on your experience, you're right, they've got the best rates amongst the third party labellers

Still can't get to the same level as my UPS account, though
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Feb 11th, 2016 4:46 pm
Tried Freightcom based on your experience, you're right, they've got the best rates amongst the third party labellers

Still can't get to the same level as my UPS account, though
They fixed their certificate issues which is awesome! Now I can use them on Chrome again :D

I also noticed that if you click "Quote" you can find quotes based on postal/zip codes only like netParcel offers.

UPS' rates are variable and depend on the previous weeks amounts. If you're doing high volume, you'll definitely hit the higher quotas for better rates. I just can't be bothered to take the higher hit to receive better rates "down the road."

UPS called me a couple months ago to negotiate and I lied and said was still using FedEx as our main shipper. I didn't want to tell them I was using a consolidated service. Recently I tried emailing my account rep and she never replied, so I doubt they will offer anything better to me.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2834 posts
338 upvotes
Alberta
coangr wrote:
Feb 11th, 2016 4:58 pm
They fixed their certificate issues which is awesome! Now I can use them on Chrome again :D

I also noticed that if you click "Quote" you can find quotes based on postal/zip codes only like netParcel offers.

UPS' rates are variable and depend on the previous weeks amounts. If you're doing high volume, you'll definitely hit the higher quotas for better rates. I just can't be bothered to take the higher hit to receive better rates "down the road."

UPS called me a couple months ago to negotiate and I lied and said was still using FedEx as our main shipper. I didn't want to tell them I was using a consolidated service. Recently I tried emailing my account rep and she never replied, so I doubt they will offer anything better to me.
At least for my UPS account, my rates are based on a 52 week rolling average. So if I don't ship for a few weeks, I am unlikely to fall down into a lower discount tier. No big deal.

What's too bad is my volume has increased significantly and it's taking forever to climb to the next discount tier. Beats renegotiating, though.

I just finished negotiating with Fedex actually - burned through 3 reps who were trying to figure out how to match my UPS account. Ultimately they said there's just no way they can match my UPS rates, so that made me happy. Means my rates must be good.

Why not tell them you were using an aggregator? No shame in that.
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Feb 11th, 2016 5:21 pm
At least for my UPS account, my rates are based on a 52 week rolling average. So if I don't ship for a few weeks, I am unlikely to fall down into a lower discount tier. No big deal.

What's too bad is my volume has increased significantly and it's taking forever to climb to the next discount tier. Beats renegotiating, though.

I just finished negotiating with Fedex actually - burned through 3 reps who were trying to figure out how to match my UPS account. Ultimately they said there's just no way they can match my UPS rates, so that made me happy. Means my rates must be good.

I suppose I could, but for heavier or oversize packages, Purolator always beats their rates. Even Loomis Express beats their rates.

I did in my last email to my rep ask her about waiving signature required fees (based on a scenario that is another thread all together.) No reply... perhaps I'll follow up. I have a feeling now that she has my business they probably couldn't care less.

Funny thing with FedEx.. we used them primarily. Were just raped on fees (we only had discounts for Express and not Ground and our primary shipments were ground).. this was all before I started at my company. Then I came across netParcel via RFD and literally saved thousands of $$. When we literally went from hundreds of shipments to 0 they called me (when we were up for renewal) and said what's up? I told them was using a consolidated shipping and they said they wouldn't even try and match... hahaha
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Feb 11th, 2016 5:21 pm

I just shipped something this morning and my rates beat both Freightcom and netParcel. Looks like I must have been bumped into the next tier! :D
Dec 30, 2012
16 posts
coangr wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 10:59 am
I just shipped something this morning and my rates beat both Freightcom and netParcel. Looks like I must have been bumped into the next tier! :D
which one you are using? i checked ups, it's two/three times more than canada post.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2834 posts
338 upvotes
Alberta
jsyangyu wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 12:34 pm
which one you are using? i checked ups, it's two/three times more than canada post.
Through Freightcom or netParcel???
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
jsyangyu wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 12:34 pm
I shipped a box 14"x14"x6" (7lbs) to Kansas City 64111.

My UPS Rate: $21.51 (UPS Standard)
Canada Post: $28.86 (Expedited Parcel via EST)
netParcel: $23.10 (UPS Standard)
Freightcom: $22.25 (UPS Standard)
eShipper: $23.31 (UPS Standard)
Rate2Ship: $31.88 (FedEx Ground - their UPS rates still don't work)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2834 posts
338 upvotes
Alberta
coangr wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 4:05 pm
I shipped a box 14"x14"x6" (7lbs) to Kansas City 64111.

My UPS Rate: $21.51 (UPS Standard)
Canada Post: $28.86 (Expedited Parcel via EST)
netParcel: $23.10 (UPS Standard)
Freightcom: $22.25 (UPS Standard)
eShipper: $23.31 (UPS Standard)
Rate2Ship: $31.88 (FedEx Ground - their UPS rates still don't work)
And UPS is likely 2-4 business days faster than CP.

For interest... my UPS price on this would be $16.13 (from Toronto)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)