Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Shipping small packages within Canada (Cheapest provider)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2018 10:15 am
Tags:
None
Apr 18, 2008
225 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
coangr wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 4:05 pm
I shipped a box 14"x14"x6" (7lbs) to Kansas City 64111.

My UPS Rate: $21.51 (UPS Standard)
Canada Post: $28.86 (Expedited Parcel via EST)
netParcel: $23.10 (UPS Standard)
Freightcom: $22.25 (UPS Standard)
eShipper: $23.31 (UPS Standard)
Rate2Ship: $31.88 (FedEx Ground - their UPS rates still don't work)
How do you get such cheap pricing from Freightcom? I tried to get an instant quote. My quote is $1xx from Vancouver BC to Illinois. Tried another one from Vancouver to Calgary, 4lbs, it's $99. Is shipping from east coast cheaper? Or do I need to sign up for an account to get cheaper quote? The quote seems to be for LTL, not for courier service.
Apr 18, 2008
225 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
scouzer wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 5:40 pm
For interest... my UPS price on this would be $16.13 (from Toronto)
How many packages do you ship per month to get such cheap pricing?
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
Smither wrote:
Feb 13th, 2016 5:05 am
How do you get such cheap pricing from Freightcom? I tried to get an instant quote. My quote is $1xx from Vancouver BC to Illinois. Tried another one from Vancouver to Calgary, 4lbs, it's $99. Is shipping from east coast cheaper? Or do I need to sign up for an account to get cheaper quote? The quote seems to be for LTL, not for courier service.
You need to call them or start an online chat with their customer service team and ask them to "turn on" the parcel service.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2834 posts
338 upvotes
Alberta
Smither wrote:
Feb 13th, 2016 5:07 am
How many packages do you ship per month to get such cheap pricing?
Not really that much, I haggled hard.

As a standard rule, UPS seems willing to negotiate once you hit $100/wk in spending. Discounts rise from there.
Apr 18, 2008
225 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
scouzer wrote:
Feb 13th, 2016 4:54 pm
Not really that much, I haggled hard.

As a standard rule, UPS seems willing to negotiate once you hit $100/wk in spending. Discounts rise from there.
How do you haggle? Do you call them or you will have to wait for them to call you?

When I opened an account a few months ago, they called me and ask if they can help me with anything. I asked them why the quotes are so expensive. They told me the discount needs to be earned. I need to start shipping for awhile and they will review my account quarterly to see what discount I can get. With such expensive rate though, I will not start using UPS. And it takes 3 months for them to review my history. Now I ship by Canada Post with Commercial rate. But I just found netparcel to be cheaper than my CP rate.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2834 posts
338 upvotes
Alberta
Smither wrote:
Feb 13th, 2016 6:43 pm
How do you haggle? Do you call them or you will have to wait for them to call you?

When I opened an account a few months ago, they called me and ask if they can help me with anything. I asked them why the quotes are so expensive. They told me the discount needs to be earned. I need to start shipping for awhile and they will review my account quarterly to see what discount I can get. With such expensive rate though, I will not start using UPS. And it takes 3 months for them to review my history. Now I ship by Canada Post with Commercial rate. But I just found netparcel to be cheaper than my CP rate.
I contacted them via email and asked to be assigned an account rep.

UPS was really responsive, got a great rep. I did the same for Fedex, total nightmare to deal with those guys.

Purolator is a joke so I didn't even try.
Apr 18, 2008
225 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
scouzer wrote:
Feb 13th, 2016 8:18 pm
I contacted them via email and asked to be assigned an account rep.

UPS was really responsive, got a great rep. I did the same for Fedex, total nightmare to deal with those guys.

Purolator is a joke so I didn't even try.
Thank you. Good to know.
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
That's interesting. When my account rep called me to convince me to join (I guess they saw the volume I was picking up via netParcel, otherwise I'm not sure why they called) she asked me to send her a quick rundown of the volume I said I was doing with FedEx (I never told them I was using netParcel).

She sent me back these.

Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2834 posts
338 upvotes
Alberta
What percentage discount are those tiers coangr?
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
Here - this is my actual tier breakdown. I'd love to compare it to your's scouzer!

Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
Also - Freightcom has added Canpar to their lineup of parcel shipping! Their rates seem to slightly beat netParcel's Loomis Express. I've been waiting to see if/when Canpar would be added. I'll choose them very soon to see how well they perform!
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2834 posts
338 upvotes
Alberta
We've got the exact same discount structure except you've got 5% better than me on US Express shipments.

Looks like the plan they use is pretty standard. :)
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 10:36 am
We've got the exact same discount structure except you've got 5% better than me on US Express shipments.

Looks like the plan they use is pretty standard. :)
I'm guessing that's because a lot of the shipments I did with Purolator for the GTA and Montreal area I sent with Express instead of Ground because it was only a ~0.25 difference most of the time. When I sent my rep the list of shipments I did, quite a few of them were marked as express. I guess that worked out in my favour (however I've never shipped anything Saver with UPS through my own account though).

I'd love to switch all my business to deal directly with UPS but sometimes the consolidated companies just still flat out beat them. I mean, here is an example of a small box I send out from time to time... all 3 of Canada Worldwide's company's have different prices (and all with different couriers!)

9x6x4 - 2lbs to L4G6H8

Freightcom: $8.35 (Canpar)
netParcel: $8.64 (Loomis Express)
eShipper: $7.79 (Purolator)
Rate2Ship: $8.53 (Purolator)
UPS - my acct: $10.98

I should also point out that this was the first time *ever* that eShipper had the better rates than everyone else. I wonder if they've lowered their Purolator rates....

Also - considering all of these consolidated company's accept Visa, it allows you to revolve balances if needed or have the grace period vs. UPS when they bill directly to your bank account on Sundays. Plus the Visa points! I think that's an excellent trade off, really.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2834 posts
338 upvotes
Alberta
coangr wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 11:16 am
I'm guessing that's because a lot of the shipments I did with Purolator for the GTA and Montreal area I sent with Express instead of Ground because it was only a ~0.25 difference most of the time. When I sent my rep the list of shipments I did, quite a few of them were marked as express. I guess that worked out in my favour (however I've never shipped anything Saver with UPS through my own account though).

I'd love to switch all my business to deal directly with UPS but sometimes the consolidated companies just still flat out beat them. I mean, here is an example of a small box I send out from time to time... all 3 of Canada Worldwide's company's have different prices (and all with different couriers!)

9x6x4 - 2lbs to L4G6H8

Freightcom: $8.35 (Canpar)
netParcel: $8.64 (Loomis Express)
eShipper: $7.79 (Purolator)
Rate2Ship: $8.53 (Purolator)
UPS - my acct: $10.98

I should also point out that this was the first time *ever* that eShipper had the better rates than everyone else. I wonder if they've lowered their Purolator rates....

Also - considering all of these consolidated company's accept Visa, it allows you to revolve balances if needed or have the grace period vs. UPS when they bill directly to your bank account on Sundays. Plus the Visa points! I think that's an excellent trade off, really.
UPS bills to my credit card on Sundays, so I can revolve balances. No need to use the bank account :)

I have never seen the Canada Worldwide guys come close on my UPS rates when I'm US-bound. I don't ship within Canada.

If you're shipping a lot domestically, you may consider getting software developed that will pull rates from everybody automatically. That could save you some money.
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 11:22 am
UPS bills to my credit card on Sundays, so I can revolve balances. No need to use the bank account :)

I have never seen the Canada Worldwide guys come close on my UPS rates when I'm US-bound. I don't ship within Canada.

If you're shipping a lot domestically, you may consider getting software developed that will pull rates from everybody automatically. That could save you some money.
Wait what? UPS allows you to bill to Visa? When I called them, they told me due to my discounts they only allowed to bill to our bank account. Also, what is this wizardry you are speaking of, software to compare? Do you know of such specifically?

I ship to both the US and Canada, but you're right... I'm finding my Ground rates directly with UPS is beating CW...