Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Shipping small packages within Canada (Cheapest provider)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2018 10:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2834 posts
338 upvotes
Alberta
coangr wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 11:30 am
Wait what? UPS allows you to bill to Visa? When I called them, they told me due to my discounts they only allowed to bill to our bank account. Also, what is this wizardry you are speaking of, software to compare? Do you know of such specifically?

I ship to both the US and Canada, but you're right... I'm finding my Ground rates directly with UPS is beating CW...
I dunno, I just went into my UPS Billing page and entered my pre-authorized credit card info. I don't think I asked anyone, maybe I'm not supposed to on this plan LOL
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
Lucky you. We had the option prior .. we have a secondary account that is used when we import items from overseas for duty/taxes, but as soon as I went to throw in the Visa I only had the option for the banking info. I called em up about it and they advised me due to the discount plan, they only accept bank. You're a lucky bastard lol
Nov 22, 2008
281 posts
40 upvotes
Scouzer - do you ever send oversize packages? Get this - I need to send a package to Zip 63376. Box info: 60x42x3 weight 45 lbs.

eshipper rates: Purolator $78.14 and UPS $149.66...... even though UPS picks up all Purolator US shipments, they offer over 62% savings! I just spoke with eShipper and they confirm this is correct... WTF!? It seems it pays to ship with Puro for oversized to the US!
Oct 4, 2011
142 posts
21 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Is there a company like chitchatexpress in the westcoast?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2834 posts
338 upvotes
Alberta
coangr wrote:
Feb 24th, 2016 6:19 pm
Scouzer - do you ever send oversize packages? Get this - I need to send a package to Zip 63376. Box info: 60x42x3 weight 45 lbs.

eshipper rates: Purolator $78.14 and UPS $149.66...... even though UPS picks up all Purolator US shipments, they offer over 62% savings! I just spoke with eShipper and they confirm this is correct... WTF!? It seems it pays to ship with Puro for oversized to the US!
Generally, I never ship anything less than multi piece shipments exceeding 250lbs at a time. So I'm not super familiar with the one-package rates really.
Apr 18, 2008
225 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
I just tried freightcom. Has any one have any success scheduling a pick up on freightcom? They only ask for building number, but no where to put my street address. After I click done, it still shows no pick up is scheduled.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12395 posts
3013 upvotes
Here 'n There
dontplaywithfire wrote:
Jul 11th, 2012 2:11 pm
Living in Canada is a rip off for anyone in this situation, and many consider moving to Border towns so that they can drive to a US post office to send packages.

This is a wide open business opportunity: some smart guy is fed up with Canadian Communism so he opens up a business that ships small parcels for $3-$6 a package, competing with canadapost and putting the pathetic canadapost out of business once and for all.
And then he gets unionized like Canada Post and all goes to hell.
Jun 26, 2012
456 posts
79 upvotes
canada
eonibm wrote:
Feb 27th, 2016 7:40 am
And then he gets unionized like Canada Post and all goes to hell.
Canadapost reinvents itself as a Drone production company, fires all its human workers and delivers parcels using flying robots.

The robots and drones run off nano energy and sunlight. Then we focus on important sh*t like art, computing, science; say good bye to drop dead boring jobs.

regards, amazon founder, jk
Banned
Apr 22, 2015
884 posts
106 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
dontplaywithfire wrote:
Jul 11th, 2012 2:11 pm
Living in Canada is a rip off for anyone in this situation, and many consider moving to Border towns so that they can drive to a US post office to send packages.

This is a wide open business opportunity: some smart guy is fed up with Canadian Communism so he opens up a business that ships small parcels for $3-$6 a package, competing with canadapost and putting the pathetic canadapost out of business once and for all.
USPS increased rates plus high exchange made ship from USA not an option any more.
English is not my first language, please bear with me
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2834 posts
338 upvotes
Alberta
ModemOutlet wrote:
Feb 28th, 2016 3:36 pm
USPS increased rates plus high exchange made ship from USA not an option any more.
Still cheaper than Canada, sometimes massively.
Dec 31, 2013
968 posts
467 upvotes
condo
Bringing back an old-ish thread, but I thought it might be useful for people looking for cheap shipping options.

After completing my due diligence, it seems the following (in numerical order from best value to worst) are the better options:
1) Freightcom.com - best and lowest price
2) Netparcel.com - comparable to freightcom but slightly more expensive
3) eShipper.com
4) Canada Post
5) Shipgooder.com - highest rates / worst value

A quick question for all those who regularly ship products. But does UPS Standard or Expedited include tracking # without an additional fee? How about Canada Post's Regular and Expedited Parcel service, do either include tracking # for free as well, or is it an add-on service?

Thanks in advance!
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2834 posts
338 upvotes
Alberta
tmonies wrote:
Apr 11th, 2016 2:45 pm
Bringing back an old-ish thread, but I thought it might be useful for people looking for cheap shipping options.

After completing my due diligence, it seems the following (in numerical order from best value to worst) are the better options:
1) Freightcom.com - best and lowest price
2) Netparcel.com - comparable to freightcom but slightly more expensive
3) eShipper.com
4) Canada Post
5) Shipgooder.com - highest rates / worst value

A quick question for all those who regularly ship products. But does UPS Standard or Expedited include tracking # without an additional fee? How about Canada Post's Regular and Expedited Parcel service, do either include tracking # for free as well, or is it an add-on service?

Thanks in advance!
All UPS products include tracking.

Canada Post Expedited Parcel includes tracking, but I'm not sure about regular. But no businesses use regular parcel, so it's moot.
Dec 31, 2013
968 posts
467 upvotes
condo
scouzer wrote:
Apr 11th, 2016 4:34 pm
All UPS products include tracking.

Canada Post Expedited Parcel includes tracking, but I'm not sure about regular. But no businesses use regular parcel, so it's moot.
Thanks so much for the quick reply Scouzer! Great info and thanked your post. Cheers

Tmonies
Oct 21, 2016
1 posts
1 upvote
Bringing this forum to life again - now that there's a new Chit Chats Express in BC. They offer flat rate shipping rates within Canada. I have to ship packages 6x4x4 that are only about 7oz in weight within Canada. Anyone know if Chit Chats is the way to go?

Thanks