Shopping Discussion

shipping to UPS(?) near the border in the US?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2012 12:28 pm
Nov 1, 2007
351 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

shipping to UPS(?) near the border in the US?

All,

I'd like to order couple bulky items and I'd like to ship them somewhere near the US-Canadian border near Buffalo so I can drive there and pick it up (from GTA).
I read that it's possible, but don't know the details.

Should I just call UPS stores in the area and ask them if they will provide the service?

A friend rents POB near the border, but the shop is small and closed weekends and evenings, so it's not very convenient. Also I am not sure how they will respond to handling large items.

thanks
29 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2806 posts
37 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
leonkaz wrote: All,

I'd like to order couple bulky items and I'd like to ship them somewhere near the US-Canadian border near Buffalo so I can drive there and pick it up (from GTA).
I read that it's possible, but don't know the details.

Should I just call UPS stores in the area and ask them if they will provide the service?

A friend rents POB near the border, but the shop is small and closed weekends and evenings, so it's not very convenient. Also I am not sure how they will respond to handling large items.
There is a UPS depot less than 10 minutes from Queenston/Lewiston border crossing. I have collecteed packages from there, but only during business hours (untill 5pm as I recall).

UPS store in Niagara will accept and hold package for a fee. OPen till 7pm as I recall and saturday mornings.

Post office will accept larger packages, but I have always collected those before 4 pm as they are held in the back. I think post office counter is also open to 7 pm weekdays on Niagara Falls Blvd. for shipping packages. Not sure about the pick up of large items. Have your friend check nex time he goes there.
Nov 5, 2007
24 posts
U S Address
3909 Witmer Rd
Niagara Falls, NY 14305
(716) 298-1822

These guys are awesome, they handle large or small packages, the drop site is visable from the border. I go across and pickup my large big ticket items to avoid heavy brokerage fee's and duties.

They charge $5 per box, and $1 per week per box for storing it there until you pickup.

Just email them or call them letting them know your sending packages there.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1296 posts
181 upvotes
Beamsville
Xtremery wrote: U S Address
3909 Witmer Rd
Niagara Falls, NY 14305
(716) 298-1822

These guys are awesome, they handle large or small packages, the drop site is visable from the border. I go across and pickup my large big ticket items to avoid heavy brokerage fee's and duties.

They charge $5 per box, and $1 per week per box for storing it there until you pickup.

Just email them or call them letting them know your sending packages there.
I use these guys too, they've saved me quite a bit of money over the last few years :) .
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
I have used the UPS Store down on Military (across from the outlet mall), but the daily rate for large packages was $15 / day!!
Dec 4, 2008
1 posts
Toronto
What is the Email Address for:

U S Address
3909 Witmer Rd
Niagara Falls, NY 14305
(716) 298-1822
Oct 16, 2008
576 posts
16 upvotes
yah, I do this all the time with my ebay purchases, especially when the only delivery service they offer is UPS or Fedex.

most times I don't pay any tax or duties when i come back and declare it at the border. Plus shipping to US is always cheaper than shipping to Canada on most if not all online purchases.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Tha_Doggg wrote: http://www.usaddressinc.com/

You can also try http://www.cbiusa.com/. They hold the package for free as opposed to charging you per week.
If I just won a bidding on ebay, with whom should I go with, two were provided? I can probably

Also, what do I tell the US ebay seller if I wanted him to ship to a non-paypal address? How do I reassure him that it's legit?

Thanks.
SeeYouNextTime wrote: yah, I do this all the time with my ebay purchases, especially when the only delivery service they offer is UPS or Fedex.

most times I don't pay any tax or duties when i come back and declare it at the border. Plus shipping to US is always cheaper than shipping to Canada on most if not all online purchases.
Is the Canadian Customs still lenient? Our government will be in a huge deficit soon.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5218 posts
1240 upvotes
Burlington
alanbrenton wrote: If I just won a bidding on ebay, with whom should I go with, two were provided? I can probably

Also, what do I tell the US ebay seller if I wanted him to ship to a non-paypal address? How do I reassure him that it's legit?

Thanks.
I would go with cbiusa. I have used them without any problems. Contact the seller and let them know about the situation before you place your bid. He might be willing to ship to them.
Oct 16, 2008
576 posts
16 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: If I just won a bidding on ebay, with whom should I go with, two were provided? I can probably

Thanks.

Is the Canadian Customs still lenient? Our government will be in a huge deficit soon.
I don't know if CC will be lenient now. My last purchase was back in the summer when it wasn't as bad as it is now.

HST, most purchases under $100 seem to fly by okay.

I've never had a seller question my US address for shipment, even though my PayPal address is my home address here in Canada.
I used to be me!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
2619 posts
273 upvotes
SeeYouNextTime wrote: I don't know if CC will be lenient now. My last purchase was back in the summer when it wasn't as bad as it is now.

HST, most purchases under $100 seem to fly by okay.

I've never had a seller question my US address for shipment, even though my PayPal address is my home address here in Canada.
Is that $100 US? Pretty sure it is. I notice that some of the guards are stressed to charge tax. The US nexus guards are a lot nicer than the non nexus guards.
Apr 15, 2007
281 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
i have used CBI, quick and easy. you just have to put your name and phone number in the CBI address and they will call you when the package arrives.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
hahn wrote: i have used CBI, quick and easy. you just have to put your name and phone number in the CBI address and they will call you when the package arrives.
Hi Hahn, what kind and types of fees will I be looking to pay? I will only be expecting a shipment from an ebay seller (once I make the payment). As to the actual receipt date at CBI, I'm not sure when this is going to happen.

Says on this thread that CBI doesn't charge warehousing fees.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5218 posts
1240 upvotes
Burlington
alanbrenton wrote: Hi Hahn, what kind and types of fees will I be looking to pay? I will only be expecting a shipment from an ebay seller (once I make the payment). As to the actual receipt date at CBI, I'm not sure when this is going to happen.

Says on this thread that CBI doesn't charge warehousing fees.
If it's a regular sized package expect to pay around $6. If it's an oversized pacakge it is about $11. CBI will call you when they get package in, or you can track it yourself if you have a tracking number of course.
Oct 20, 2007
822 posts
418 upvotes
will these places allow me to ship my item there and then they ship it to me in Canada via usps or canada post if they're close enough? I want to buy a pair of boots and shipping by ups grund is $7 but all the fees I'd have to pay will just not be worth it!
Jan 12, 2004
28 posts
4 upvotes
Cambridge
I'm also wondering if www.cbiusa.com will "forward" parcels and charge actual shipping rates via USPS etc? I emailed them but haven't received a response yet. Anyone have experience with "parcel forwarding" via CBI or another service (preferably in NY)?

FYI - I'm interested in purchasing an item from Amazon.com which cannot be shipped directly...
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1956 posts
368 upvotes
Kitchener
This is of great interest to me also. Costco.com is selling the 58" PZ800u for $2,262.77 Canadian...up here the same tv is going for $3999.99...sheesh. So I would ship this to www.cbiusa.com and then drive to buffalo and pick it up? How much would I be paying do you think for such a large item coming back across the border?
Jul 7, 2009
2 posts
hi, i just wanted to know, what is the nearest U.S border address to montreal? I wanted to buy a couple of movies off Amazon, and they charge cheaper on amazon.com than amazon.ca. But i am expecting a couple of things to come on different days, what is the best thing to do to save? thank you
Nov 12, 2008
338 posts
3 upvotes
Which company charges the cheapest for big items? I want to get a guitar
I know cbiusa.com charges $11.35 US flat rate when I asked them about my guitar.

And which one's closest to GTA?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)