• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2019 8:25 am
[OP]
Aug 7, 2015
1 posts

Shipping With USPS From Canada

Does anyone know of a service that can ship packages with USPS postage from Canada?
20 replies
Sep 27, 2003
9522 posts
2259 upvotes
Newmarket
You'd have to ship Canada Post I think. It'll become USPS when it crosses the border.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2780 posts
1512 upvotes
Canadia
maluno wrote:
Aug 10th, 2015 7:44 am
Does anyone know of a service that can ship packages with USPS postage from Canada?
Yes, there are numerous small courier companies doing this across the country. It depends where you are. There's Chit Chat Express in Toronto, DYK Post in Calgary/Edmonton and several in the Vancouver area that I know of.

It is significantly faster and cheaper than Canada Post, with the caveat that your packages have to be valued at less than $200 US (the duty free import limit).
Sep 27, 2003
9522 posts
2259 upvotes
Newmarket
retrothing wrote:
Aug 10th, 2015 2:49 pm
Yes, there are numerous small courier companies doing this across the country. It depends where you are. There's Chit Chat Express in Toronto, DYK Post in Calgary/Edmonton and several in the Vancouver area that I know of.

It is significantly faster and cheaper than Canada Post, with the caveat that your packages have to be valued at less than $200 US (the duty free import limit).
How does it work, logistically?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2780 posts
1512 upvotes
Canadia
WorldIRC wrote:
Aug 10th, 2015 5:42 pm
How does it work, logistically?
We have an account with Endicia to generate USPS shipping labels. All of our US and international shipments go by USPS (the international ones require a customs label, but again this is generated automatically). To clear the border, we have to supply the courier with a simple manifest that lists a description, value and recipient name/address.

I'm in Calgary, so we drop packages at DYK Post on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and they're taken across the border to the nearest US Post office the next day. We pay a courier fee of $1 per package up to 4 lbs, $3 for up to 10 lbs.

The cost savings are considerable. Our most popular product weighs 13 oz and costs USD$3.48 to ship by 3-day first class mail with tracking plus the $1 courier fee. Shipping the same package by Canada Post is $15.10 and it takes about a week longer to reach the customer.

Our shipments are usually about 100 pieces, so we're saving about $1000 per courier run.
Sep 27, 2003
9522 posts
2259 upvotes
Newmarket
^Ah, so someone is taking the packages across the border before connecting them to USPS then. As opposed to going through Canada Post and the packaging switching to USPS at the border.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2447 posts
397 upvotes
Burlington
Yes, and Chitchats works the same way. Been very pleased with them.
Free Nortel tips and tricks blog, as well as second opinion on a move to VoIP (for my RFD friends).
Dec 22, 2014
241 posts
99 upvotes
Richmond, BC
retrothing wrote:
Aug 10th, 2015 2:49 pm

You wouldn't happen to have the names of the companies in the Vancouver area?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2780 posts
1512 upvotes
Canadia
yourwallet wrote:
Aug 14th, 2015 2:26 am
You wouldn't happen to have the names of the companies in the Vancouver area?
Books to the Border in Surrey has been around for years and provides daily cross-border service.
Dec 22, 2014
241 posts
99 upvotes
Richmond, BC
retrothing wrote:
Aug 14th, 2015 11:44 am
Books to the Border in Surrey has been around for years and provides daily cross-border service.
Yeah, that's the only one I know, I was hoping you knew some more.

They only take small shipments for eBay or single Amazon shipments, but no Amazon FBA.
Oct 22, 2015
4 posts
1 upvote
Carlisle, ON
Hi Everyone,
I can help the E-Sellers by driving your items to USPS for you. I can also pick up within the Hamilton/Halton regions. If anyone is driving their items to the border to drop them into USPS and would prefer to stay home to concentrate on their core business, private message me and we could work something out that is mutually beneficial!
Oct 22, 2015
4 posts
1 upvote
Carlisle, ON
joobilee wrote:
Nov 9th, 2015 6:16 pm
hi motivated, how often do you drive down south?
Hi Joobilee,
i am sorry i missed your reply/question. My goal would be to travel down south weekly.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4728 posts
1424 upvotes
Winnipeg
It is illegal. You can only use stamps issued by your country
May 10, 2016
1 posts
Hi Maluno - came across this posting from last year and wondered if you ever found a service to ship USPS from Canada? Let me know if you're still looking for a service as I know of a Vancouver company that could possibly help!

/ju
Apr 18, 2010
213 posts
236 upvotes
Beaverland
Any reliable companies that do the same in Montreal?