Home & Garden

Shoes, socks or bare feet in your house? Guests?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2017 8:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6060 posts
1041 upvotes

Shoes, socks or bare feet in your house? Guests?

Inspired by a thread in the Home & Garden forum about hardwood stairs. Posters said the stairs needed runners so people wouldn't slip on them. I was thinking, just wear a sturdy pair of shoes in the house, no runner needed, you are slipping because you're wearing socks.

getting-my-stairs-redone-red-oak-guess- ... #p28008413

bonterra wrote: ↑
That brings up the whole socks vs. shoes vs. bare feet in the house debate. ;-)

"Hey there's nothing wrong with wearing your shoes around the house. You know the same pair that you went to the washroom with at the mall/restaurant/porta potty :P"

Opinions about footwear in the home? Bringing in germs? Do guests at parties etc. have to remove outdoor footwear?
73 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10130 posts
593 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I don't wear outdoor footwear (shoes I've worn outside) inside.

At other people's houses, I usually take my shoes off, unless I know I'm going to be frequently going inside/outside.

I don't like wearing shoes inside. If I'm on a long car/plane/train ride, I take them off.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14256 posts
1014 upvotes
When I was in grade school my Caucasian friend wore shoes in his carpeted home and even jumped in bed with them on. It was such a culture shock for me. Thing is his home was clean as a whistle, smelled really nice and generally very pleasant. I think his mom was a house wife amd did constant chores to keep it that way.
Feb 7, 2017
572 posts
328 upvotes
No shoes here.

I read once that most Canadian homes people go without shoes. Thinking is we have horrible weather, and as such a lot of muck would get dragged in and ruin our flooring (especially so if you have rugs or carpets). Leaving shoes off makes for a cleaner house and longer lasting flooring.

Stateside, where the majority see less severe weather than us the norm is keep one's shoes on.

As much as this horrifies me (the porta potty discussion), US folks I've met think it rude to ask guests to take off their shoes... Icky bare feet - ripped pantyhose - smelly socks etc

Many have said things "but it's an outfit, the shoes are meant to be worn / seen with the dress". Eyes

Weak argument if you ask me.

BTW, the correct Cdn Custom is to assume that every home you enter is a no shoe zone. If the host is ok with you keeping your footwear on (e summertime) they will let you know
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10709 posts
1437 upvotes
City of Vancouver
If u have ever watched those shows about hoarders? Inside some of their houses, there is human waste, dog and cat waste, rat droppings, cockroaches, rotting food, diapers, etc on the floors. They are still alive.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Feb 13, 2015
172 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
No shoes. I wear socks when I visit guests and other houses. But I'm barefeet in my own house. Wearing shoes in the house is not only rude, but it makes no sense. You have to end up cleaning the house after you walk in it, it introduces more germs etc.. and why would someone jump on their bed with shoes on :/ this is a terrible idea. I mean it's up to you, but if you are wearing shoes in the house and carpet/bed you either have no respect for your home or you were brought up with a backward upbringing.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4500 posts
326 upvotes
Slippers in the kitchen and bath, socks everywhere else. Barefoot is worse than shoes with the sweat and oil?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1977 posts
96 upvotes
Socks pretty much every where.

I'd probably get myself pair of socks with very thin layer of rubber at the sole so I wouldn't slip.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3634 posts
410 upvotes
Aurora
No outside shoes in the house for us. I don't understand why anyone would. Outside has dirt, grass clippings, rain, dog turds, people hocking loogies, spilt gas at the station, not to mention piss covered floors at the restaurant.

Guests remove shoes without being asked, too.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3022 posts
508 upvotes
London
No shoes here. Slippers, socks mostly or barefoot occasionally. Guests have to take their shoes off too or I have a silent inside meltdown.

Absolutely gross with the shoes on. I hate hotel rooms also for this reason ugh ugh ugh.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
2872 posts
504 upvotes
No shoes. No socks. But if my guests tells me they has an odor problem, stay outside!!
Mar 24, 2015
520 posts
85 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Barefoot or slippers in the house. No outside shoes. When I visit people's place I remove my shoes and only wear socks or I'm barefoot. When guests visit us, they do the same.