Home & Garden

Shoes, socks or bare feet in your house? Guests?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 6:53 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4002 posts
1056 upvotes
Archanfel wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 8:46 am
Barefoot is worse than shoes with the sweat and oil?
I would think the floor wouldn't mind it, unless you eat off the floor.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4371 posts
509 upvotes
In home, only slippers/house shoes, socks, or bare feet.

In my own home, I loooove bare feet. I like them being "free", and being able to stretch out my toes. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

In other people's places...socks. In bathrooms not my own, flipflops. Had a bad experience with plantar warts as a kid, so I am very leery of bare feet unless I know no one has warts on feet.
Mar 31, 2017
526 posts
110 upvotes
In Canada it's shoes stay at the door. In the US, it's the reverse. I never understood why anyone would want to come back from a filthy washroom in a bar, or come back from a wet cemetery then walk with those same shoes inside the house. It's gross, and no amount of carpet and floor cleaning will ever remove the bacteria. I would be tempted to throw away the mop if I had to clean something like that.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1520 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
blackbirdman wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 8:25 am
No shoes. I wear socks when I visit guests and other houses. But I'm barefeet in my own house. Wearing shoes in the house is not only rude, but it makes no sense. You have to end up cleaning the house after you walk in it, it introduces more germs etc.. and why would someone jump on their bed with shoes on :/ this is a terrible idea. I mean it's up to you, but if you are wearing shoes in the house and carpet/bed you either have no respect for your home or you were brought up with a backward upbringing.
100%
Feb 7, 2017
524 posts
296 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 10:02 pm

Super comfy for around the house!
Lol, yes there is a 3rd option... Slippers or "House Shoes"
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10672 posts
1422 upvotes
City of Vancouver
U can offer visitors to your home some guest flip flops. I suppose u can stock up on those dollar Old Navy ones and let ur guests take them, if u want.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6052 posts
1038 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:

Too hot!! My feet would boil in those. Lol.

I must be the only Canadian who thinks shoes should be worn in the house. But then I haven't been in a Port-A-Potty for many years. Or a public bathroom.

I keep trying to encourage my housemate to wear his shoes in the house for the anti-slip properties, but he won't. I tell him I'll clean up the germs and mess. Nope. Shoes are parked very firmly at the front entrance.

I also tell my guests, keep your shoes on, they don't. Canadians seem to hold very firmly to their belief in no shoes in the house.
Last edited by bonterra on Jul 17th, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6052 posts
1038 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 3:02 am

Many have said things "but it's an outfit, the shoes are meant to be worn / seen with the dress". Eyes

So, you have a dressy Christmas season/Summer wedding party, do the shoes still have to come off?
Jul 12, 2017
7 posts
I never wear shoes when I am at home. However, I roam around bare feet or sometimes in socks.
May 31, 2006
993 posts
90 upvotes
Burlington
UrbanPoet wrote:

Comfy? Only if you kept the indoor temp at ~ -10C or below! Astonished Face
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3505 posts
394 upvotes
Richmond Hill
always slippers at home but socks/barefeet in the carpeted areas.
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Apr 18, 2013
938 posts
285 upvotes
Manitoba
My mom gets upset when we have bare feet in my parents condo
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23540 posts
2170 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Bare feet and socks. Usually find a pile of slippers at the entrance to the unfinished basement.

I thought this was an Oriental thing. Didn't realize almost all Canadians practiced this.
Last edited by Gee on Jul 17th, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 13, 2016
553 posts
240 upvotes
I am mostly barefoot inside home. However we do keep a bunch of flip flops and slippers for guests. I think it only makes sense to restrict outside shoes at either the door or at the foyer. It can be PIA to clean up if you were to take outside shoes everywhere in the house, on carpets and rugs.