Shopping Discussion

shop.ca wants me to request warranty service for item that was defective on arrival?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2015 9:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2886 posts
209 upvotes

shop.ca wants me to request warranty service for item that was defective on arrival?

Hi all,

I just purchased two identical IP cameras from shop.ca. I set it them up and one of them is defective, showing strange colours in the image. I contacted shop.ca support and they tell me the merchant will not accept a return because I've opened it and have asked me to contact the manufacturer for a warranty replacement. Is this how shop.ca normally operates? I find it ridiculous that I need to go through a warranty procedure for an item I have purchased new and is defective when received. If they are not willing to help me I am thinking of requesting a charge back from my CC. What do you think?
25 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13636 posts
3909 upvotes
Montreal
yeah, shop.ca is the devil when it comes to returning defective, which is why I never shop there. saving a few bucks here and there is totally shot out the window when their restrictive non-return policies are enacted.

now, according to canadian law, a store cannot sell a defective item upon receipt and not at least offer an exchange or refund, but you'll probably have to fight with them to get any action on that end.

again, they are the devil when you receive a defective item, and wash their hands of it so fast, there is still soap on them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2886 posts
209 upvotes
I was lured into buying from them because of GCR 25% cashback :(
Aug 4, 2014
491 posts
53 upvotes
North of GTA
Because of the numerous posts on RFD from people who have had bad experiences with Shop.ca, I would never even think of ordering anything from them.

Shop.ca has a rep on RFD. I have not seen any posts from this person in a while.

Shop at online retailers who have a good reputation.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13636 posts
3909 upvotes
Montreal
crimsondr wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 12:21 pm
I was lured into buying from them because of GCR 25% cashback :(
exactly, and as always, you got what you paid for.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15566 posts
5806 upvotes
My bet is the manufacturer would also want you to pay shipping one way too. I would just see what the credit card route yields, probably a lot less hassle.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2886 posts
209 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 1:22 pm
My bet is the manufacturer would also want you to pay shipping one way too. I would just see what the credit card route yields, probably a lot less hassle.
Yes, I am leaning towards requesting a charge back as I also think it will be easier.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16389 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto
Only things I would buy from Shop.ca is video games with the coupon codes. I wouldn't touch anything else.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4295 upvotes
What a pita.

They are feeding you lies. Don't give in to their demands.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11982 posts
2854 upvotes
Ottawa
Chargebacks are your friend. For sure, I'd go that route. I've never had to actually use a chargeback but in this case I think it's justified.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2886 posts
209 upvotes
The rep I was emailing with said that they actually take returns for defective items but they must be new and unopened. Explain to me how that works.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3604 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto
crimsondr wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 3:04 pm
The rep I was emailing with said that they actually take returns for defective items but they must be new and unopened. Explain to me how that works.
Obviously, you didn't ask them to open, verify/test functionality and then factory seal the item before shipping it to you.... you snooze you lose.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3156 posts
301 upvotes
Mississauga
crimsondr wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 3:04 pm
post this email here....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2886 posts
209 upvotes
[Quote]Hi edit,

Thanks for reaching back out!

SHOP.CA does have a policy for defective items, that is the order can be processed for an exchange/refund. However, the item cannot be used for personal use for a duration of time and then be deemed as Defective. It will only be considered defective if it was received defective, not if there is an issue with you at after use.

Once used, the item would have to be repaired by the manufacturer with the warranty coverage provided.

As stated on the policy page (http://www.shop.ca/c/shop-returns):

" Warranties

All products sold by SHOP.CA Merchant Partners are expected to be covered by the normal Manufacturer Warranty. Warranty coverage also includes the manufacturer's re-certified product warranty. To process a claim against a Manufacturer Warranty, please contact the Manufacturer directly, using your SHOP.CA order confirmation as your proof of purchase"

Please feel free to contact me should you have any further questions.

Thank you!

edit| partner, customer loyalty representative[/Quote]

I emailed them that I received two IP cameras, set them up, one is defective and displays a bad image. She asked me to send them an example. Then her next reply was that since I opened and used the camera I cannot have it exchanged or refunded.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3156 posts
301 upvotes
Mississauga
just reply back nicely and state that 'the unit was defective upon opening, NOT after personal use for a duration of time'.

be polite for now.