Shopping Discussion

shop.ca wants me to request warranty service for item that was defective on arrival?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2015 9:45 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
2878 posts
544 upvotes
I guess we should get x-ray glasses to check unopened defective products
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2886 posts
209 upvotes
mbk.2k3 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 3:25 pm
just reply back nicely and state that 'the unit was defective upon opening, NOT after personal use for a duration of time'.

be polite for now.
The rep was replying very promptly to my emails until I told her this, at which point I stopped receiving any replies. I will wait until tomorrow before I request a charge back.
Mar 23, 2013
706 posts
119 upvotes
Kitchener
Repooc wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 3:20 pm
Obviously, you didn't ask them to open, verify/test functionality and then factory seal the item before shipping it to you.... you snooze you lose.
Is this sarcasm? You are suggesting it is reasonable practice for a merchant to open packages and test new items before a shipment and if you don't ask them to do this the buyer is somehow at fault if the item is defective? Even if the seller claimed it worked before shipment the buyer would be in the same predicament as currently in
Aug 8, 2004
295 posts
96 upvotes
Ottawa
In my experience doing a chargeback, the credit card company required that I try to work it out with the merchant first, before initiating a dispute.

So definitely try to work it out via email and keep all emails! It'll make it simple for the credit card company to be on your side when it comes time to settle the dispute and receive a refund
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
27kingston wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 7:58 pm
Is this sarcasm? You are suggesting it is reasonable practice for a merchant to open packages and test new items before a shipment and if you don't ask them to do this the buyer is somehow at fault if the item is defective? Even if the seller claimed it worked before shipment the buyer would be in the same predicament as currently in
I'm pretty sure/hoping he's being sarcastic against stores that have policies like this.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2886 posts
209 upvotes
Well shop.ca rep replied today that she contacted the merchant and requested a replacement. She said she will follow up again with steps on how to proceed forward.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2012
1991 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto, ON
crimsondr wrote:
Feb 13th, 2015 3:09 pm
Well shop.ca rep replied today that she contacted the merchant and requested a replacement. She said she will follow up again with steps on how to proceed forward.
How did it end up going?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2886 posts
209 upvotes
They sent me a shipping label so I could send it back and have it exchanged. So in the end they came through.
Aug 8, 2004
295 posts
96 upvotes
Ottawa
crimsondr wrote:
Feb 28th, 2015 7:44 am
They sent me a shipping label so I could send it back and have it exchanged. So in the end they came through.
Glad to hear it worked out. If not, you would have been within your rights to dispute the charge and the credit card company would have sided with you.

I just had a seller on Aliexpress send me a defective external battery / power bank and they wanted me to pay to ship it back (would have cost $27 for a $40 item). I made a video of the defect and said that should sufficient and if they want to pay for shipping, I'll send it back. They then said because it was opened, it was used so no refunds. I sent a final message asking them to comply with refunding the defective item or else the credit card company will decide if it should be refunded and I'll leave a review appropriate to my experience. Instant refund.

Long story short: buy from a retailer who has good customer service (Amazon, Costco..). Life is too short to deal with these BS business tactics to maximize profit at the consumers expense
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16510 posts
2183 upvotes
crimsondr wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 12:06 pm
I contacted shop.ca support and they tell me the merchant will not accept a return because I've opened it and have asked me to contact the manufacturer for a warranty replacement. Is this how shop.ca normally operates? I find it ridiculous that I need to go through a warranty procedure for an item I have purchased new and is defective when received. If they are not willing to help me I am thinking of requesting a charge back from my CC. What do you think?
Legally the merchant must sell you a non-defective item. You're also protected via your credit card as well. Demand a replacement or file a chargeback.