• Dec 16th, 2005 11:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2003
2882 posts
13 upvotes

Shop Work

I had a minor accident a while back, and there was some damage done to the other vehicle.

The guy took the car to the shop and said the quote was 'about a thousand dollars' and to speak to the guy at the shop.

So I speak to him, and again, he tells me, 'about a thousand dollars', and would call me back to talk about this as that was an extremely busy time of the year.

A few weeks later, the owner of the car calls me back and leaves a message saying that the work was done and the bill was $2600.

Needless to say... the $1600 increase was just a LITTLE suspicious, not to mention the fact that the 'work was done'.

Right now, I will obviously file an insurance claim, but I'm not exactly sure how to deal with this guy. What rights do I have at this point? Am I supposed to pay him first, or leave it until insurance settles this?

Anyone gone through something like this and can give me some ideas as how best to deal with this situation?
4 replies
Jun 23, 2005
719 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
kinda hard to decide now.

best thing to do if this happens again is to get whatever they say on paper ie: receipt/quote or else its just your words vs his words.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2939 posts
580 upvotes
um.. did he take his car to a vehicle collsion reporting centre? If damage is over $1000 (which is basically a broken headlight, or a long scrach & a small dent).

Insurance may not help you if you did not because nobody independent will have seen the damage. You will be on your own in that case..
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2003
2882 posts
13 upvotes
True. In the voicemail, he also indicates that the quote was originally $1000, and it's quite clear that this is the first time he's mentioned an increase.

Assuming it was on paper, what would the situation be? Am I legally only required to pay the quoted amount?
w4x wrote:kinda hard to decide now.

best thing to do if this happens again is to get whatever they say on paper ie: receipt/quote or else its just your words vs his words.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2003
2882 posts
13 upvotes
No I didn't, but I did take extensive photo's. I don't think they other guy knew that I got photos of all the damage though.
RenegadeX wrote:um.. did you take the car to a vehicle collsion reporting centre?

Insurance may not help you if you did not because nobody independent will have seen the damage. You will be on your own in that case..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)