• Dec 4th, 2017 9:36 am
Sep 23, 2003
241 posts
78 upvotes
aeba7 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 9:27 am
So let me get this straight:
- Buy the kit for $49 + filler item on 20x to get 10k points
- There is a coupon inside the kit that allows me to get one full sized product for free
- Redeem the coupon for a full sized Lancome genific hd ($65 value) on a 20x day and get 13k points**

**The basis of this is that the coupon is interpreted by the system as gift card or equivalent.

If true: Spend $50, get a sample kit, full-sized product and 23k points
If YMMV: Spend $50, get a sample kit, full-sized product and 10k points
i guess to follow up with a question..
does this Lancome product worth the $40ish ($50-10k pts)?
Sep 28, 2016
2 posts
Has anyone seen this in Toronto? I can't find it in my large shoppers nearby (and they said they'd never got it in) or on beautyboutique.ca.

Thanks
[OP]
May 3, 2015
41 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
antzz wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:51 pm
i guess to follow up with a question..
does this Lancome product worth the $40ish ($50-10k pts)?
I'll let you know! I paid $49 plus tax for five samples and the lancome is the most expensive one at $65. So far I've notice visible results (I'm 39 with little to none skin maintenance previously) and already have some of the other stuff in the sampler package.
Oct 26, 2010
845 posts
1067 upvotes
Is the coupon in the kit a "free" coupon?

If so, I think you got lucky op. Any "free" coupon at sdm should be input at the cash as "free coupon" (you don't even need to pay tax for it), and it has no value in the system. Unlike $ off coupons, it will be input as manufacture $ off coupon, which is treated like cash in the system (you get points for it). Your cashier might have done it incorrectly which resulted in additional points for you.

In short, depending on how your cashier handle the coupon, you may or may not get the bonus points.
Dec 8, 2011
329 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
^ FPC or $ off coupon, you will get points. I have done it so many times.
[OP]
May 3, 2015
41 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
mikemike192 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 2:52 pm
Is the coupon in the kit a "free" coupon?

If so, I think you got lucky op. Any "free" coupon at sdm should be input at the cash as "free coupon" (you don't even need to pay tax for it), and it has no value in the system. Unlike $ off coupons, it will be input as manufacture $ off coupon, which is treated like cash in the system (you get points for it). Your cashier might have done it incorrectly which resulted in additional points for you.

In short, depending on how your cashier handle the coupon, you may or may not get the bonus points.
The actual quote is "try 5 of our most popular products. Choose the one you like best. Trade your gift certificate for the full-sized version of your choice. "
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2042 posts
1047 upvotes
goosekim wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 3:16 pm
The actual quote is "try 5 of our most popular products. Choose the one you like best. Trade your gift certificate for the full-sized version of your choice. "

These “Sampler Kits”have been a mainstay for the Holidays at SDM for years. They started with Women’s Fragrances for Mother’s Day around 15 years ago (tiny sample bottles / vials)... you bought the sample kit and then after the lady made her choice from the samples she could redeem the Certificate inside for the full value of the kit against one of the featured perfumes / colognes. They were such a hit with the ladies... that SDM expanded them to men with a Fragrance Sampler Kit for Fathers Day.

The following grew.

So they then offered a second set of Sampler Kits for the Christmas Season... and expanded into both Fragrances & Cosmetics / Skincare (and consequently the samples got bigger for those... and that means the Sample Kits got more attention on the shelves)

The OP is correct... these purchases typically double-dip Points, as the Certificate inside is most often processed exactly like a GC at the cash in my experience (SDM actually markets them in their advertising as Gift Certificates)

You buy the Sampler Kit... you get points on the total purchase
You redeem the Kit’s Certificate for a full sized item for one of the featured products, and you get points again on the entire purchase

IIRC part of the original marketing for these Sampler Kits was that it was a gift for the buyer, as well as a gift for the reciever

Links to this year’s Men’s & Women’s Fragrance Samplers
https://www.beautyboutique.ca/Categorie ... 7800957669
https://www.beautyboutique.ca/Categorie ... 7800927716
Oct 26, 2003
529 posts
99 upvotes
Markham
I checked a few locations in downtown Toronto, and they don't carry the one OP posted. An associate mentioned the kit was from last year.
[OP]
May 3, 2015
41 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 3:17 pm
These “Sampler Kits”have been a mainstay for the Holidays at SDM for years. They started with Women’s Fragrances for Mother’s Day around 15 years ago (tiny sample bottles / vials)... you bought the sample kit and then after the lady made her choice from the samples she could redeem the Certificate inside for the full value of the kit against one of the featured perfumes / colognes. They were such a hit with the ladies... that SDM expanded them to men with a Fragrance Sampler Kit for Fathers Day.

The following grew.

So they then offered a second set of Sampler Kits for the Christmas Season... and expanded into both Fragrances & Cosmetics / Skincare (and consequently the samples got bigger for those... and that means the Sample Kits got more attention on the shelves)

The OP is correct... these purchases typically double-dip Points, as the Certificate inside is most often processed exactly like a GC at the cash in my experience (SDM actually markets them in their advertising as Gift Certificates)

You buy the Sampler Kit... you get points on the total purchase
You redeem the Kit’s Certificate for a full sized item for one of the featured products, and you get points again on the entire purchase

IIRC part of the original marketing for these Sampler Kits was that it was a gift for the buyer, as well as a gift for the reciever

Links to this year’s Men’s & Women’s Fragrance Samplers
https://www.beautyboutique.ca/Categorie ... 7800957669
https://www.beautyboutique.ca/Categorie ... 7800927716
Thanks for the history lesson!! Very interesting and it totally settles any questions from before. Cheers!
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2042 posts
1047 upvotes
goosekim wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 4:13 pm
Thanks for the history lesson!! Very interesting and it totally settles any questions from before. Cheers!
Lol, ya old fart syndrome Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Only know cause these were a hit with the SO & teenaged Dughters
Made gift shopping easy there for a nice long stretch
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4972 posts
2250 upvotes
Richmond Hill
All things considered, it's pretty good deal regardless of whether you get 10k or 23k points. It's good for folks who don't have a skincare routine but want to start one.

I can't really tell what is in the bundle, but if you've got a cleanser, toner, serum, and moisturizer then you're set.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Oct 8, 2015
91 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm a bit confused. For the full-size coupon you are not spending money on it, how could you get points for that?

OP can you please pose your receipt with point details?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2042 posts
1047 upvotes
danying wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 4:34 pm
I'm a bit confused. For the full-size coupon you are not spending money on it, how could you get points for that?

It is processed like a GC, not a coupon.

When you buy a normal GC normally only one person in the transaction gets the gain, usually the one who redeems cause the Retailer looks at the purchase as buying cash, not a thing.

In this instance, both do.

In this case the Original Purchaser (the Gifter) gets the points and the Receiver (the Giftee) does too.

Probably because the Buyer is getting more than just the GC (there are also the samples)

Lol, figure part of the reason SDM does this is because of the HUGE mark up in the Cosmetics & Fragrance market . They can afford to. Plus it gets Customers in the habit of buying Designer Fragrances from them vs the standard Dept Store Route

These Sampler Kits are not available anywhere else... it is something that SDM packages / puts together with their suppliers.

And we also cannot forget the fact that some folks may forget or never redeem that GC for the set list of items that it can used for. So right there SDM has pocketed all the money from the sale, without really selling anything out of their regular inventory.

IMPORTANT NOTES

The OPs title is a bit misleading... these Bonus Points are ONLY available when you buy this Sampler Kit, and then again ONLY when the Giftee redeems the enclosed Certificate for one of the full sized items of the “featured products”...so the Purchaser best know upfront if there is one included in this year’s featured line up that the Receiver already likes, or are interested in trying / buying
[OP]
May 3, 2015
41 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
danying wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 4:34 pm

Images
  • IMG_20171130_0558506.jpg
[OP]
May 3, 2015
41 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
d60 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 6:20 am
Does the Genific HD smell good?
Just checked this morning and no smell whatsoever!