Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Shoppers Drug Mart

Google Home Mini - $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2017 6:58 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2996 posts
601 upvotes
Burnaby
some store might not have it. Orz
MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM; AMD Ryzen 5 3600; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB + 16GB; WD Black SN770 1TB;
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
najibs wrote: Picked up 2 today. Got them essentially for free, by using 50k points. Also went to Rona and got a $99 Google Home. I wasn't sure which one to get so I got both. The Minis I can give as gifts if I decide not to keep. It's more a matter of Is the regular google Home worth the price difference for the speaker?

We like listening to music during dinner time at home. Will the link be sufficient? Or is it worth keeping the home? I haven't heard any in person yet

at about 4:10 it show the sound difference between Google Home and Mini
I just received my minis today (haven't open them yet), so hasn't have personally experience between these two yet
if you use it for music during dinner, I assume you will also have conversation from time to time, so you probably won't need a loud music.

I got the GH first because there was no such a thing called Google Home Mini, lol
if I start over again now, I probably will just buy more minis, so you will have more voice control reception point at home
and you don't have to increase your voice every time when you say "hey Google"
Nov 9, 2006
475 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
CarsonKT wrote:

at about 4:10 it show the sound difference between Google Home and Mini
I just received my minis today (haven't open them yet), so hasn't have personally experience between these two yet
if you use it for music during dinner, I assume you will also have conversation from time to time, so you probably won't need a loud music.

I got the GH first because there was no such a thing called Google Home Mini, lol
if I start over again now, I probably will just buy more minis, so you will have more voice control reception point at home
and you don't have to increase your voice every time when you say "hey Google"

I have both and I have to completely agree, the GH is slightly better but definitely not 2.5 times better. I would rather buy 2-3 GHM for the same cost of the GH and have them all over the place.
Sep 30, 2015
641 posts
882 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I got my mini on Sunday and have to say it's louder than I expected based on all of the reviews I was reading.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2012
1175 posts
446 upvotes
Ottawa
The Home is much better if you have loud music/movie playing, the Mini can't pick out your voice if it's being drowned.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2004
2097 posts
943 upvotes
gta
Just got my mini last night. Must say, sound is quite good.
One thing though, there is no option for me to switch to male voice. It the male voice option only available on the Google home?
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
Isn’t this device redundant when phones and tablets already have the same features?
Apr 7, 2012
824 posts
847 upvotes
gta
DealDemon wrote: Just got my mini last night. Must say, sound is quite good.
One thing though, there is no option for me to switch to male voice. It the male voice option only available on the Google home?
its available on the mini, its just you have to play around with the language setting, change it to english (us) and then ask the mini "ok google change your voice"
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
KevinC268 wrote: Isn’t this device redundant when phones and tablets already have the same features?
no because that involves picking up your phone and opening different apps. Here you can just tell it what you want it to do. If you're busy doing something and your hands are full. Voice automation is quick and easy.
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
najibs wrote: no because that involves picking up your phone and opening different apps. Here you can just tell it what you want it to do. If you're busy doing something and your hands are full. Voice automation is quick and easy.
I can already do that on my iPhone by saying “hey Siri” surely android can do the same?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
KevinC268 wrote: I can already do that on my iPhone by saying “hey Siri” surely android can do the same?
Yes. And I agree to a point... if you are one person, and always have your phone around. For families, muttering hey google when you want to do something, look something up or whatever, whichever family member it might be especially kids without phones, is just easier.

Also, if you hands are full (or even just dirty) and your phone is in your pocket good luck getting the attention of the assistant.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2004
2097 posts
943 upvotes
gta
navyblue wrote: its available on the mini, its just you have to play around with the language setting, change it to english (us) and then ask the mini "ok google change your voice"
OK will try that.
Jun 23, 2003
587 posts
438 upvotes
Does or should it still scan at $39.99 at SDM?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
There are two impulse buys intriguing me this holiday shopping season, the google Home Mini and the instapot. And I’m worried both will end up at the back of my cupboard in a year due to never being used.

So I’m On the fence with this. For those that got it, do you actually find it useful on a day to day basis? Or is it a novelty that will wear off?

I have a few smart devices in my home. An ecobee, and a couple of smart switches and plugs. I have no chrome cast though.
Nov 9, 2006
475 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
fdl wrote: There are two impulse buys intriguing me this holiday shopping season, the google Home Mini and the instapot. And I’m worried both will end up at the back of my cupboard in a year due to never being used.

So I’m On the fence with this. For those that got it, do you actually find it useful on a day to day basis? Or is it a novelty that will wear off?

I have a few smart devices in my home. An ecobee, and a couple of smart switches and plugs. I have no chrome cast though.

I use mine every day and so does the family, one of the favourite features is "Okay Google, find my phone". I use it for timers, to ask questions and the kids use it to play games, I find it really shines when working with chromecast and would recommend getting that as well.
Apr 7, 2017
556 posts
543 upvotes
Brantford
I bought it couple of days ago and I am happy with it primarily due to
Connect to phone so you can call any number in Canada through google or you can use your number
Google is inovating interesting things so you cannot get board like has trivia that’s like some questions so you and your kids can enjoy playing together upto five people
Also play music like google music or sportify
Bluetooth capability
Alarms and reminders
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
I think for most, the $39 Mini is a better buy than Alexa.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
KevinC268 wrote: I can already do that on my iPhone by saying “hey Siri” surely android can do the same?
Siri's performance is below average when compared to Google. I use both on daily basis. From voice recognition to ability to have smart responses back. I would buy your argument if you were using Google Assisstant app on an android device. The response time on Mini is much faster too based on my experimentation so far.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4264 posts
5639 upvotes
Muskoka
weedb0y wrote: Siri's performance is below average when compared to Google. I use both on daily basis. From voice recognition to ability to have smart responses back. I would buy your argument if you were using Google Assisstant app on an android device. The response time on Mini is much faster too based on my experimentation so far.
Agree.
Ask Siri and Google this question
Hey ????? Where is Stranger Things filmed?
Public Mobile

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)