Expired Hot Deals

[Shoppers Drug Mart] IT'S BACK! Spend $200 or more on 2+ giftcards, get 8000 Optimum points

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 9:01 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4933 posts
2196 upvotes
Richmond Hill

[Shoppers Drug Mart] IT'S BACK! Spend $200 or more on 2+ giftcards, get 8000 Optimum points

Image removed by request

Hey folks!

Spend $200+ on 2 or more gift cards (combined value i.e. 2x100, 4x50 etc.) between Nov 4 and Nov 10, and get 8000 optimum points. You can use the offer up to 3 times per SDM account for 24000 points
This is the best way to maximize your points before the annual year-end redemption event.

This promo is valid on all giftcards - not just SDM ones.

Thank you trystee for the fineprint:
Points are issued on the purchase of eligible products using a valid Shoppers Optimum Card. Cannot be used with any other offer or promotion. Offer limited to three (3) eligible transaction per Optimum cardholder number. Offer valid until November 10, 2017, while quantities last. Points to be awarded to your account by Friday, November 17, 2017 for eligible transactions. Gift or financial cards may not be used to purchase additional gift or financial cards. Bonus points will not be issued for transactions in which a gift card or a financial card is used as tender to pay for additional gift or financial cards. We reserve the right to limit quantities. No rainchecks. Offer may be changed or terminated at any time without notice. See cashier for details. No refunds on any gift cards purchases.

Every time there is an optimum post, there are usually calculation related questions, so I'll insert the following example. Please let me know if there are any errors; it's been a while since I've done this.

Let's assume the following:
- I want to buy a Nintendo Switch for $399.99
- I live in Ontario, where tax is 13%
- There's no eco fee for the switch (I don't know, is there?)

What I will do:
- The switch costs $452 after taxes, so I will buy 4 gift cards over two transactions:
>> Transaction #1: 2x$100
>> Transaction #2: 1x$100 & 1x$152

- I will get 20520 Points from the above transaction
>> 2x8000pts from the promo
>> 4520 points for buying SDM GCs (Confirmed)

- I will buy a switch during a 20x the points event using my gift cards, which will get me 79800pts
>> 399x10x20 points (points are only earned on whole dollars, pre-tax)

- the total number of points I will have from the above two transactions will be 100320

- I will spend 95000 of those points at the year end redemption event (last week of Nov/ first week of December), which is usually 95k for $190 or $200. There is also (usually) an electronics super sale in mid November.

TLDR: Buy a switch, get enough points for 3 or 4 games.
Last edited by aeba7 on Oct 31st, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 14 times in total.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Thread Summary
Points to be awarded to your account by Friday, November 17, 2017 for eligible transactions. There will be no indication of the promo on the receipt.

Purchasing SDM gift cards earns Optimum points (10 pts per $1), and still earn points when using SDM gift card = double dip
No Optimum points for purchasing non-SDM gift cards unless a specific promo; they don't count for "Spend $ for bonus Optimum points" offers
SDM gift cards available for sale listed online, but not all stores carry all of them.
Prepaid mobile vouchers (e.g. Public Mobile) are not GCs, so not part of promo.
"Financial cards" are prepaid VIsas and Mastercards and are excluded from the promo.

Some cashiers may deter purchasing (non-SDM) GCs with credit card (e.g. check ID, refuse, limit), can fight, but better to try a different time/store.
YMMV using SDM gift cards to buy non-SDM gift cards.
Using SDM gift cards to buy other gift cards is not allowed but YMMV with limited success.

Some GCs that rarely/never go on sale: Best Buy, Amazon, Canadian Tire, LCBO (Ontario), Beer Store (Ontario), gas retailers.
Avoid GCs that usually go on sale for 10%+ off (including at other retailers), e.g. Cara Restaurants, Apple.
Keep Your Receipts. If your gift card balance is stolen, you will need your receipt as proof of purchase. Esso has historically had issues.

Shoppers Optimum points combining with the PC Plus Rewards program, February 2018.
784 replies
Nov 23, 2013
210 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Calculations are correct?
Jan 26, 2017
96 posts
71 upvotes
IN Before someone asks can you buy a SDM gift card then use this SDM GC to buy more gift cards, buy, reuse, repeat etc.....
Nov 9, 2013
540 posts
614 upvotes
Barrie
But when do they award the points? If I remember correctly from last year, I had to wait quite a while.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4933 posts
2196 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MrDisco wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 1:47 pm
is the promo only for SDM GCs? and is there a limit to the # of 8000 bonus points I can earn?
Historically, promo is for all GCs, and you can mix and match.
i.e. I can buy 1x$100 Amazon GC, 1x$50 Starbucks GC, 1x$50 Bestbuy GC and get the 8k points.
Last edited by aeba7 on Oct 31st, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1062 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto, ON
There will be a limit per Optimum account on how many transactions you can get bonus points (it will say in the flyer which I don't have yet)

You can't use SDM GCs to buy more SDM GCs

You will get the points later (it will say in the flyer which I don't have yet)
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."

and "Help your uncle Jack, off that horse."

Dump the downvote system: upvotes-downvotes-2070965/#p27573558
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14926 posts
833 upvotes
Scarborough
dang, can't stack with the 10% off CT Gift cards?
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Dec 29, 2014
24 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks but are you sure you get 1 point for every dollar spent on a shopper's drug mart gift card?
Mar 23, 2004
36399 posts
3303 upvotes
Markham
MrDisco wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 1:47 pm
is the promo only for SDM GCs?

and is there a limit to the # of 8000 bonus points I can earn?
Should be all GCs.

2-3 times per SDM account, last year was 24k pts total iirc
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1062 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Striker60 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 1:58 pm
Thanks but are you sure you get 1 point for every dollar spent on a shopper's drug mart gift card?
It's 10 points per dollar on most things in store including SDM GCs (but not other GCs)
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."

and "Help your uncle Jack, off that horse."

Dump the downvote system: upvotes-downvotes-2070965/#p27573558
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4933 posts
2196 upvotes
Richmond Hill
treasureseeker3 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 2:01 pm
It's 10 points per dollar on most things in store including SDM GCs (but not other GCs)
Thanks, and updated! That was the value that I was a little iffy about. Deal is hotter now :D
Oct 3, 2011
31 posts
10 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Trouble will be trying to find a SDM that sells the Switch lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7983 posts
2826 upvotes
Toronto
Aren't SDM Gift Cards not safe?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
May 1, 2011
376 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
bought $600 worth of SDM gift cards last year....will repeat this year. Thanks OP.