Expired Hot Deals

[Shoppers Drug Mart] Lenovo LEGION Y520 1 To 15.6" 8GB/1TB Gaming Notebook $900.89

Jun 11, 2017
1 posts
I bought one yesterday for 999.99 with 20x coupon. Any chance that SDM do price adjustment?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1852 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FooNdaR wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:20 am
....but it is in the Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum app....... so?

I bought this last time around. No regrets. Thanks OP.
No new flyer yet in the optimum app but already in their website.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1852 posts
486 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FooNdaR wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:04 am
hmmm...it's in mine....
Might be the location, I changed my location and the new flyer is already in the app.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9374 posts
3335 upvotes
Brampton
StefanP902654 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:42 am
The Problems with cloning teh drive are stemming 99.999% from the enabled safeboot, this is a feature to prevent malicious code to be able to be executed at boot time before and/or during OS start. The Drive boot drive identifier is written in the BIOS. To switch that enter the BIOS (F1 or F2 for Lenovo) and turn off Safe Boot. After cloning the Drive and booting with the new one enter the BIOS again and enable safe boot for the new boot drive.

I also suggest to use Free Minitool Partition Wizard to clone drives. Easy usage interface and pretty much automatic resizing of partitions to different destination drive sizes. resizing partitions can be a real PITA when using Acronis IME.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-pa ... nager.html
The alternative to cloning would be to boot the stock system up let it do it's thing. This takes about 10 mins. Tell Windows to create a recovery drive on a USB. You need about 8 gigs. Process takes about 10-30 mins (depending on your USB drive speed. I used a EXT-SSD to USB3.1 and took 5min).
Shut down the system, take out the stock harddrive.
Install your RAM and your M.2 SSD
Boot from your recovery USB and wait for it to setup recovery to your M.2
On the second boot windows will actually start the setup from your M.2 (takes about 5 mins)

You won't have to fiddle with any BIOS settings or have any issues as the recovery will have all the "signatures" that the BIOS is looking for. IIRC you also shouldn't have any alignment issues vs a clone.

Note: This is for an SSD upgrade not for a clean install.
Last edited by tebore on Nov 8th, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 28, 2007
234 posts
40 upvotes
Kamloops
Wolive wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 8:19 am
I bought one yesterday for 999.99 with 20x coupon. Any chance that SDM do price adjustment?
So 899 is actually a sale price from 999?

I thought is the regular price for this laptop.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2008
1306 posts
190 upvotes
Thornhill
Squallmao wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:25 am
So 899 is actually a sale price from 999?

I thought is the regular price for this laptop.
From what I understand from flyer, it is 899.99 default price with 20x point.
The fine print isn't clear as it said valid for the whole week - give misleading info as in if you will get the 20x point the whole week.

Also... why is this in the automotive category - for sure the thing can't drive XD....

Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9374 posts
3335 upvotes
Brampton
bpopman67 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:37 am
Anyone who has one willing to share how long battery lasts for under normal use?
3-5 Hours, depending on task and brightness.

I was reading RFD on 50% brightness and it was just under 5 hours. This was after letting the machine sit for a day to update and do what it needed to do.
It was with an M.2 SSD and 16GB of RAM.
Apr 30, 2018
44 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
loopholez wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:46 am
From what I understand from flyer, it is 899.99 default price with 20x point.
The fine print isn't clear as it said valid for the whole week - give misleading info as in if you will get the 20x point the whole week.

Also... why is this in the automotive category - for sure the thing can't drive XD....

It's very clear, at least on flyer, that 20x applies only Saturday.
Oct 23, 2018
40 posts
20 upvotes
oh so much better when i got it this time with an extra 5000 points!

really happy with this purchase, so far it is working great and im just using the stock hardware with it, no upgrades done yet.
Surprisingly quiet and cool as i expected the worst having this 5400 RPM rated drive only.
Dec 6, 2008
410 posts
117 upvotes
Vancouver
was in the market for a gigabyte aero ($2399) decided to go with this machine last time it was on sale because 1/3 of the price. threw in some extra ram and a nvme and haven't looked back. it was and still is a great value. only con for me is the display doesn't get that bright so it's literally night and day from my desktop 4k hdr monitor.

here's a thorough review. exact same laptop but the review model comes with a stock nvme drive

i'd venture to say black friday sales will match but won't be much crazier than this price for the specs but who knows. oh yeah i'm also super ripped now from carrying this around everywhere, so there's that.
i got 99 problems but PM'ing ain't one ;)
Jul 11, 2008
907 posts
301 upvotes
MisterMister wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:27 am
Incoming longish post - for those interested in putting in more ram , an NVME SSD, and removing the Hard Drive. I couldn't figure out how to clone, so I did a fresh Install (no Lenovo Bloatware at least)

Intro:
I got this Laptop October 20th with the 20x points. After much debate whether to open it or return it, because with Shoppers AS SOON as you open the box, you can't return it (they even wrote it on my receipt). I decided to keep it after it sat in box for a week Even with the Lenovo 40% sale - i thought this was great value, 1050ti. Bought some used ram, 16gb on Kijiji. No issues running 24gb of ram, lol. Selling the 8gb if anyone is interested (shameless plug) in the Toronto area.
Great review and feedback on the laptop. Upvoted.

Anyone know what this laptop was selling for with the 40% lenovo sale for comparisons sake?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9374 posts
3335 upvotes
Brampton
adilh53 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:17 pm
Great review and feedback on the laptop. Upvoted.

Anyone know what this laptop was selling for with the 40% lenovo sale for comparisons sake?
It wasn't part of it. That was a Thinkpad's sale. This isn't a Thinkpad.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

hxw1302