Expired Hot Deals

[Shoppers Drug Mart] Lenovo LEGION Y520 1 To 15.6" 8GB/1TB Gaming Notebook $900.89

Deal Addict
May 27, 2008
1306 posts
190 upvotes
Thornhill
EvandroJ27819 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 11:31 am
It's very clear, at least on flyer, that 20x applies only Saturday.
Thanks, wasn't paying attention to this.
benji82 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:09 pm
was in the market for a gigabyte aero ($2399) decided to go with this machine last time it was on sale because 1/3 of the price. threw in some extra ram and a nvme and haven't looked back. it was and still is a great value. only con for me is the display doesn't get that bright so it's literally night and day from my desktop 4k hdr monitor.

here's a thorough review. exact same laptop but the review model comes with a stock nvme drive

i'd venture to say black friday sales will match but won't be much crazier than this price for the specs but who knows. oh yeah i'm also super ripped now from carrying this around everywhere, so there's that.
Actually the screen was one thing that was mention online.

I bought it up to my cousin as I am looking for a laptop too.
He then counter me with this.
Dell G5 - 15

He said with newer CPU and SSD ready.
Just need the higher Ebate, it might be worthwhile than the Lenovo.

Thoughts?
Dec 26, 2012
390 posts
166 upvotes
CHARLESBOURG
loopholez wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:39 pm

Thoughts?
Better CPU for sure, the i5-8300H is pretty much on par with the older i7-7700HQ but if your only interest is gaming it won't make that big a difference. GPU will always remain the bottleneck to a gaming laptop. If however you're planing on using CPU hungry applications than the i5-8000H will be superior.

At similar price I'd go with the Dell but the idea is that people are stacking up points for the lenovo and getting it for 600-700$ which is a good price difference.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2008
1306 posts
190 upvotes
Thornhill
kowell wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:09 pm
Better CPU for sure, the i5-8300H is pretty much on par with the older i7-7700HQ but if your only interest is gaming it won't make that big a difference. GPU will always remain the bottleneck to a gaming laptop. If however you're planing on using CPU hungry applications than the i5-8000H will be superior.

At similar price I'd go with the Dell but the idea is that people are stacking up points for the lenovo and getting it for 600-700$ which is a good price difference.
Can you actually redeem it on the day or you mean to save up the points as saving for later?
Dec 6, 2008
410 posts
117 upvotes
Vancouver
loopholez wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:39 pm
Thanks, wasn't paying attention to this.

Actually the screen was one thing that was mention online.

I bought it up to my cousin as I am looking for a laptop too.
He then counter me with this.
Dell G5 - 15

Thoughts?
if you need the slightly faster processor and 256 ssd pre-installed for 200 more before tax then go for it, otherwise everything else including build and dim screen is on par with every other budget laptop in the 1k range. also ebates is what, 10% back? whereas the optimum points is equivalent to 200+ back.
i got 99 problems but PM'ing ain't one ;)
Feb 6, 2017
752 posts
330 upvotes
How many SDMs actually carry this laptop in stock? Asking because the 2 that I visited in Barrhaven during the previous deal, I didn't see any laptops of any sort in their glass case. Only Xboxes and PS4s.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3605 posts
213 upvotes
Georgetown
Can this laptop hold 2 2.5" drives (the included hdd and a SATA SSD drive (not m.2)? Or does the second drive need to be m.2?
Dec 6, 2008
410 posts
117 upvotes
Vancouver
Tiberius wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:38 pm
Can this laptop hold 2 2.5" drives (the included hdd and a SATA SSD drive (not m.2)? Or does the second drive need to be m.2?
one m2 and one 2.5
Dec 26, 2012
390 posts
166 upvotes
CHARLESBOURG
Tiberius wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:38 pm
1 x 2.5" HDD (middle right) and 1 x m.2 SSD (lower left)
https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin ... bfc412.jpg

Full review with pictures
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Le ... 682.0.html
Last edited by kowell on Nov 8th, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 6, 2008
410 posts
117 upvotes
Vancouver
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:33 pm
How many SDMs actually carry this laptop in stock? Asking because the 2 that I visited in Barrhaven during the previous deal, I didn't see any laptops of any sort in their glass case. Only Xboxes and PS4s.
gotta call each store you'd be okay with driving to and ask for their inventory clerk/manager then ask them if they have any in stock. they'll usually let you "hold" it for 20 min while you drive there.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1120 posts
431 upvotes
dvdvideo wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:09 am
It literally was not on the first post before it was edited. No need to be rude about it.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. You were asking a question that had an answer posted twice in the thread already though. It was edited into the OP (Last edited on Nov 7th, 2018 7:01 pm) by the time you asked (Nov 7th, 2018 10:41 pm), and it was in the fifth post by OP. I did try to be helpful and give you your answer as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
1250 posts
153 upvotes
Ajax
MisterMister wrote: Incoming longish post - for those interested in putting in more ram , an NVME SSD, and removing the Hard Drive. I couldn't figure out how to clone, so I did a fresh Install (no Lenovo Bloatware at least)

Intro:
I got this Laptop October 20th with the 20x points. After much debate whether to open it or return it, because with Shoppers AS SOON as you open the box, you can't return it (they even wrote it on my receipt). I decided to keep it after it sat in box for a week Even with the Lenovo 40% sale - i thought this was great value, 1050ti. Bought some used ram, 16gb on Kijiji. No issues running 24gb of ram, lol. Selling the 8gb if anyone is interested (shameless plug) in the Toronto area.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered an NVME Adata SX8200 yesterday (prime delivered same day) from amazon, 960gb for $279.00 . (I couldn't wait any longer - even with BF around the corner). The HD took almost 2 minutes to boot from pressing the power button to opening Chrome. I wanted to remove the HDD completely so I opted for the bigger drive.

So today, I spent the entire day today trying to clone the drive with the Acronis tool that gets included with Adata products when you register the item. And what a pain in the arse. Each time I tried to clone, the computer would require a restart, and it wouldn't clone, and just freeze. So after a lot of googling and trying to figure out the best way to install the NVME and get rid of the HD I finally solved it.

I'm using the device as we speak, and it's snappy and speedy now. 15 seconds from pressing the power button to opening Chrome.

*It was too difficult for me to clone from the HD to the SSD, so I went with a fresh install of Windows 10 since I read the validation key is linked to the Bios and Hardware of the laptop. It was also recommended NOT to clone as random errors could happen later on.

How to Remove Back Plate and Deal with Physical Components

1. Remove 13 black screws
2. Gently open the case. I found opening it from the back where the speakers / hinges are was the easiest to start., and then use a credit card to slide along the edge, until the tray pops out.
3. Ram goes under the metal plate in the middle. There's two slots, maximum is 32 gb according to the manual. Mine came with 1 slot of 8gb 2400 ram.
4. Hard drive can be removed with 4 black screws - on the right side.
5. HD has another 4 silver screws connected to a plate that holds the HD down.
6. NVME goes on bottom left. Use one of the black screws from Part 4. to screw NVME down.

Installing Windows 10:

1. Get a USB with at least 8gb to create a boot drive
2. Google Download Windows 10 and download Win10 from Microsoft and follow the guide for creating Windows 10 installation media
3. It will erase everything on the USB and then create a boot drive from the USB
4. Back up a copy of the Drivers from the D:\Lenovo if you want
5. If you plan to remove the HD completely, you MUST remove the HD before you install Windows 10. Otherwise the bios will not detect the NVME, when you remove the HD after the installation. Online said because during installation, there are two copies of Win 10 and windows gets confused.
6. Restart Computer and press F2 to enter the Bios
7. Go into the bios and change the setting to AHCI
8. Plug in the Boot USB
9. Press F12 and select the boot drive if it doesn't do it automatically.
10. Windows 10 should install easy and seemless.
11. *Note that if you want to Partition 25gb like the HD does for the Lenovo driver, just save some space when you create the C: drive

I hope this advice help can someone save several hours of googling.

Going from a 2 minute cold boot to 15 second boot feels so satisfying. You can always opt for a smaller NVME Boot Drive and keep the HD for storage.

I have it connected to 2 external displays. 23 inch monitor connected through HDMI cable and the 2nd display is connected through USB C -> Display port adapter Philips 40inch 4k. And the laptop display is turned off. Using a soundbar for sound but the speakers are decent. And using a wireless mouse + keyboard .

CPU temperature runs between 35 - 55 degrees during browsing.

I'm pretty happy with the purchase (wife wasn't) and it perfectly suits my needs as a secondary device. Browsing. Youtube / Netflix. Haven't gamed on it, yet, but it has to versatility to. Portable.
PM sent.
Jul 5, 2017
80 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
MisterMister wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:27 am
Incoming longish post - for those interested in putting in more ram , an NVME SSD, and removing the Hard Drive. I couldn't figure out how to clone, so I did a fresh Install (no Lenovo Bloatware at least)

Intro:
I got this Laptop October 20th with the 20x points. After much debate whether to open it or return it, because with Shoppers AS SOON as you open the box, you can't return it (they even wrote it on my receipt). I decided to keep it after it sat in box for a week Even with the Lenovo 40% sale - i thought this was great value, 1050ti. Bought some used ram, 16gb on Kijiji. No issues running 24gb of ram, lol. Selling the 8gb if anyone is interested (shameless plug) in the Toronto area.
Thanks for this post! Some very good info in here and definitely interested in the 8gb. PM'd
Nov 7, 2018
1 posts
Anyone know any shopper's in Ottawa that have the laptop in stock?

I can't for the life of me find it here.
A couple of them had it in their flyers, but the inventory guys tell me they don't have it in stock.
Nov 7, 2018
1 posts
Thanks for the info MisterMister. Your purchase experience echoes mine, including mulling over whether to open the box or not and the wife not being impressed.
I bought and installed the 256GB WD Black NVMe and will keep the HD. Next step will be doing a clean install. I also read about the risks of cloning.
Might add another stick of RAM later, but is 8GB pretty sufficient for today's games? I read somewhere that there was basically no improvement in frame rate going from 8 to 16.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2009
1375 posts
265 upvotes
Renous
s7evin wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 3:37 pm
Shoppers drug mart is probably the most scammy company in the whole country "we gonna give you a lot of points and deals but good luck finding a single product in stock". If this company was operating in the States, you will get richer with massive class action lawsuits than with their useless deals. Especially on electronics!
Class action for low stock? ouch! Every company in the world would be bankrupt for running out of high demand products.
Reserved for future time travellers

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

MrBigNose