Hot Deals

[Shoppers Drug Mart] Lenovo LEGION Y520 1 To 15.6" 8GB/1TB Gaming Notebook $900.89

May 19, 2017
192 posts
81 upvotes
loopholez wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:39 pm
…..
I bought it up to my cousin as I am looking for a laptop too.
He then counter me with this.
Dell G5 - 15

He said with newer CPU and SSD ready.
Just need the higher Ebate, it might be worthwhile than the Lenovo.

Thoughts?
I bought G5 15 couple months ago with ebates and uniday. On paper, G15 is no doubt more powerful laptop than Y520 (better CPU, better video card etc). I ended up returning G15 in few days (thanks goodness for Dell's refund policy). It's a very loud laptop even for simple task like opening browser. It's probably I got a bad batch. There's probably way to power down to make lesser noise. Do your research discussing on the loud fan and people are returning them. Bought Y520 and didn't regret it at all.
Dec 26, 2005
652 posts
164 upvotes
Ottawa
Possible stupid question...
If I buy the laptop, and use $120 in points to buy it, I assume we don't get the 20x points on that $120... is that right?
So, essentially you'll lose out by using some of your points?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2010
4588 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
jay_w wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 8:31 pm
Possible stupid question...
If I buy the laptop, and use $120 in points to buy it, I assume we don't get the 20x points on that $120... is that right?
So, essentially you'll lose out by using some of your points?
Correct. You dont get points on the redemption amount.
---> Buy With Confidence! Over 80+ Feedback <---
Dec 26, 2005
652 posts
164 upvotes
Ottawa
Balanar08 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 8:36 pm
Correct. You dont get points on the redemption amount.
Figured as much. thanks for the confirmation!!
Apr 17, 2014
689 posts
215 upvotes
Corunna, ON
So how would say Fortnite play if you connected a 32 inch tv to the laptop and played. Would it still run with high quality?
Dec 24, 2017
153 posts
186 upvotes
lel
proplayer44 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:19 pm
So how would say Fortnite play if you connected a 32 inch tv to the laptop and played. Would it still run with high quality?
Ye. * does t pose*
Koodo $60 10gb/unlimited plan
Samsung S8 for $504 + tax - $100 GC
Good toilet paper deals
Apr 30, 2018
44 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
s7evin wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 5:32 pm
Not low stock but for advertising products without clearly indicating where they can be purchased, I know of many shoppers that sell electronics and ironically each time there is a sale, they don't even receive stock from the Shoppers Ontario warehouse.. And if you contact Shoppers CS, they will blame the stores instead. 2018 and you can't simply order your rewards online like Aeroplan, Air Miles..
Flyers are store specific. Stores that doesn't carry electronics doesn't have them on their flyers. Simple as that. Check your PC Optimum app to confirm which stores near you will carry it
Jan 18, 2017
25 posts
9 upvotes
benji82 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:09 pm
was in the market for a gigabyte aero ($2399) decided to go with this machine last time it was on sale because 1/3 of the price. threw in some extra ram and a nvme and haven't looked back. it was and still is a great value. only con for me is the display doesn't get that bright so it's literally night and day from my desktop 4k hdr monitor.

here's a thorough review. exact same laptop but the review model comes with a stock nvme drive

i'd venture to say black friday sales will match but won't be much crazier than this price for the specs but who knows. oh yeah i'm also super ripped now from carrying this around everywhere, so there's that.

Great review link..thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5026 posts
1421 upvotes
Montreal
Whats the exact model on this anyone know? 520 usually is the model but then there is a sub model which will tell you the differences. For example lenovo site list the graphics card as a 1060 or rx560 but it was mentioned here this is a 1050ti?
Dec 26, 2012
389 posts
166 upvotes
CHARLESBOURG
MrEmoji wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 7:00 am
Whats the exact model on this anyone know? 520 usually is the model but then there is a sub model which will tell you the differences. For example lenovo site list the graphics card as a 1060 or rx560 but it was mentioned here this is a 1050ti?
Someone bought one 3 weeks ago and posted the product label.
https://dam-img.rfdcontent.com/camo/37d ... 6a2e6a7067
Model was Y520-15IKBN - 80WK001LUS

As a bonus, the manufacturing date was May 2018 so it's not like it had been collecting dust on a shelf for 2 years.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1051 posts
945 upvotes
Halifax
s7evin wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 5:32 pm
Not low stock but for advertising products without clearly indicating where they can be purchased, I know of many shoppers that sell electronics and ironically each time there is a sale, they don't even receive stock from the Shoppers Ontario warehouse.. And if you contact Shoppers CS, they will blame the stores instead. 2018 and you can't simply order your rewards online like Aeroplan, Air Miles..
I think you are confused. These are not rewards, like Aeroplan or Air miles, they are product that are sold in the store. In fact, you can use your points you earned for almost anything in the store. There is no 'rewards catalogue'.

As for a class action lawsuit, what exactly is the law that they are breaking? Right at the top of the ad it says " Product and Pricing are not available at all stores". Are you going to sue them for having a bad inventory management system?
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2010
1779 posts
483 upvotes
burlington, on
kowell wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 7:38 am
Someone bought one 3 weeks ago and posted the product label.
https://dam-img.rfdcontent.com/camo/37d ... 6a2e6a7067
Model was Y520-15IKBN - 80WK001LUS

As a bonus, the manufacturing date was May 2018 so it's not like it had been collecting dust on a shelf for 2 years.
Yes that picture was mine and actually was taken the day before the sale.
I highly suggest, if you have few shoppers around your place, go hunt the day before the sale and where you find availability, go the next day at opening time.
This is what I did.
I also read last time that someone was able to buy it the day before, go the day after to return and rebuy immediately.
But knowing how bad is the return policy at shoppers I wouldn't risk!
Oct 20, 2016
45 posts
25 upvotes
Ottawa
Oh man... this is perfect timing! I wanted to buy a Dell G5, but was concerned about the noise... This is still powerful enough for me and apparently much more quiet. Finding one in Ottawa however...

Edit: Eh, I just noticed the post from @GBUalways about the noise. Thanks for the confirmation!
May 15, 2007
393 posts
187 upvotes
GBUalways wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 5:20 pm
I bought G5 15 couple months ago with ebates and uniday. On paper, G15 is no doubt more powerful laptop than Y520 (better CPU, better video card etc). I ended up returning G15 in few days (thanks goodness for Dell's refund policy). It's a very loud laptop even for simple task like opening browser. It's probably I got a bad batch. There's probably way to power down to make lesser noise. Do your research discussing on the loud fan and people are returning them. Bought Y520 and didn't regret it at all.
This is the exactly the reason I am still sticking on Lenovo. Even with Alienware, I got bad experience on noise level with Dell "gaming" laptops. Running same gaming, Lenovo laptop is about 20db less noisy than Dell.
Apr 16, 2004
805 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Soooo tempted.

I let it pass during the last sale but kept thinking about it. Why? Because I also have a targeted PC Optimum coupon for 1,000 points for every $5 on electronics. In fact, I've had it for months and I keep saving it for the next week.

That coupon works out to an additional $180 in PC Optimum points. Add it to the 20x points and this comes down to about 1/2 price.

Sooooo tempted. Unless anyone also had same coupon offer and was denied the stacking of the 20x with the coupon?????

Did I mention that I was Soooo tempted? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)