Off Topic

SHOPPERS DRUG MART now offering the FLU SHOT (starts Monday October 15th)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2012 12:04 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
1732 posts
742 upvotes

SHOPPERS DRUG MART now offering the FLU SHOT (starts Monday October 15th)

FLU SHOT Starts October 15, 2012....

NOTE: To see if your Shoppers Drug Mart is offering the Flu Shot....
-go to the Shoppers Drug Mart Home Page. Bottom left of page: Store Locator
-search your store by city/postal code
-Then click on: Store Details
-It will list it under: Health Services (Flu Clinic)
http://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/Home.aspx

Shoppers Drug Mart will offer flu vaccination clinics in more than 750 stores in Ontario and across Canada, making getting the flu shot even easier this year

Shoppers Drug Mart supports the Ontario government’s announcement today expanding the scope of pharmacist’s practice to include administering the flu shot. Under the new regulations, pharmacists in Ontario can now administer flu immunization by injection to a patient who is five years of age or older.

In anticipation of the new legislation, over 600 Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacists across the province have already completed their flu vaccination training and flu clinics are being offered in more than 460 stores to help Ontarians prepare for cold and flu season this year.

“Preparation is crucial to avoid getting the flu,” says Dr. Dorian Lo, Shoppers Drug Mart Executive Vice-President, Pharmacy & Healthcare. “The provincial government’s decision to expand the scope of practice for pharmacists and include them in the flu vaccination system is an important step in helping to make flu vaccinations more accessible for Ontarians.”

Starting October 15, 2012 Canadians wondering where to get the flu shot can simply go to www.shoppersdrugmart.ca to find their local Shoppers Drug Mart offering flu vaccinations. As front-line health care providers with convenient store locations and extended hours, Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacists have the ability to provide Ontarians with flu vaccinations at convenient times in a comfortable setting.

“Local pharmacists can play an active role in keeping Canadians healthy and are available to answer patients’ questions about the flu virus, and provide personal advice on how to protect against it,” says Victor Wong, Shoppers Drug Mart Associate-owner and pharmacist. “Being able to administer the flu shot means that pharmacists are in a better position to provide the best care to patients.”

Every year there are new strains of influenza and new flu vaccines are developed to protect against them, which is why it’s important to get your flu shot every year. According to Health Canada, anywhere from 10% to 25% of Canadians come down with the seasonal flu virus each year.
10 replies
May 16, 2008
198 posts
24 upvotes
Mikasa
most pharmacies offer flu shots already -_-
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3651 posts
129 upvotes
Barrie
helluvagood wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 1:19 am
I dont even know of that many independent pharmacies anymore, I just assumed that most went out of business after shoppers and walmart got into the business.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
7220 posts
316 upvotes
In my circle, the last time someone got a real flu was the exact year and time we had flu shots. Talking nearly 10 years ago.

No thanks salesman.
Jun 10, 2010
51 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
helluvagood wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 1:19 am
Yes, being done by nurses. Pharmacists this time around are licensed to inject so many more pharmacies are able to offer injection services.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
So do you need to book an appointment, or just show up whenever?

I'm assuming it's free?
Banned
Aug 8, 2012
1115 posts
83 upvotes
Dallas, Texas.
This is a bit disturbing, only because we are more and more like the US every year. They have been giving flu shots over there for years, when you go into a Wal-Mart you are basically assaulted by reps trying to get you to have a flu shot.
mlukers wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 1:32 am
Yes, being done by nurses. Pharmacists this time around are licensed to inject so many more pharmacies are able to offer injection services.
+1
Aug 12, 2012
605 posts
28 upvotes
Barrie
They also sell D-Drops. 5000-7000iu/day works for the adults in our home.
Live long & drop dead
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7548 posts
387 upvotes
Scarborough
Agafaba wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 1:24 am
I dont even know of that many independent pharmacies anymore, I just assumed that most went out of business after shoppers and walmart got into the business.
Shoppers, Big V, and IDA were "big three" in Ontario until Shoppers bought Big V in 1998, I think it was.
From there everything went Shoppers. :(
ronin1701 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 1:41 am
So do you need to book an appointment, or just show up whenever?

I'm assuming it's free?
Yes, free, no, no appointment necessary.
No, I do NOT have any Z10's or Z30's left for sale. Stop PM'ing me!
BST Reference: Heatware | RFD
Wins: 2010 - Asus G73Sw-AY1 / 2012 - $50 BB Card in "RFD OT Reboot" / 2013 - MobilSyrup.com Samsung Galaxy note 8.0 LTE from Bell
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3651 posts
129 upvotes
Barrie
240silvia wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 8:57 am
This is a bit disturbing, only because we are more and more like the US every year. They have been giving flu shots over there for years, when you go into a Wal-Mart you are basically assaulted by reps trying to get you to have a flu shot
I checked online and the cost of flu shots in walmart range from $20-$30 so hopefully the reduced income in Canada wont be worth their time.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
× < >