Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Shoppers Drug Mart

[SDM] 10% Off Canadian tire gift cards

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2016 3:26 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
can2000 wrote:
johnsmithy wrote:
Ottomaddox wrote: Well, I just got a nasty surprise. One of the cards I bought the other day was used 2 days after I bought it in another city. Customer support is "doing an investigation" but it will take two weeks or so. The other cards I purchased still have balances, but for how long? I was going to buy some more, but this sort of crap just ain't worth the hassle, if a card can be compromised so easily.

The extra kick in the nuts was that I burned for the crappy tire money 14x multiple because of the empty card and had to use another CC.
I was afraid of this since the cards that I've seen do not have a hidden PIN. The numbers are all exposed making it easy for someone to record these then waiting for them to be activated. I'd better check my card balances....
How can they use the GC if they don't have physical card on hand? Thanks
I'm assuming they can just type the card number in, if the mag stripe is invalid... so they need a 'friendly' cashier to help.
Nov 21, 2012
456 posts
277 upvotes
GVRD
Wow. I didn't realize the card has no pin until reading this post and think it's quite a loophole that scammers can easily take advantage of. It seems we are in a race with those people.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1576 posts
697 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote:
can2000 wrote:
johnsmithy wrote:

I was afraid of this since the cards that I've seen do not have a hidden PIN. The numbers are all exposed making it easy for someone to record these then waiting for them to be activated. I'd better check my card balances....
I'm assuming they can just type the card number in, if the mag stripe is invalid... so they need a 'friendly' cashier to help.
I'm pretty certain that GC's need to be swiped...similar to CC purchases. Even if the cashier was able to manually key in the numbers, the fraudster would still need to manufacture a card with your number printed on it. However, it could be possible that it was used online for a purchase. I believe that CT now has pay online and pickup in store?
Nov 21, 2012
456 posts
277 upvotes
GVRD
jshebib wrote:
krypton wrote: Can you easily check the card balance or do you need to go to the store ?
WHAT'S ON YOUR CARD?
Need to check your balance? Call 1-800-387-8803, option #3
The number on the back has 30 digits rather than 19. So which 16 digits shall I put in?
Oct 8, 2009
165 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
Can we use a credit card to buy these giftcards? Or does it have to be cash
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
Omega89 wrote: Can we use a credit card to buy these giftcards? Or does it have to be cash
You can use cc to buy gc at sdm.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Aug 4, 2010
239 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
alfred2003 wrote:
jshebib wrote:
krypton wrote: Can you easily check the card balance or do you need to go to the store ?
WHAT'S ON YOUR CARD?
The number on the back has 30 digits rather than 19. So which 16 digits shall I put in?
There are two sets of numbers. Use the shorter one at the middle of the back.
Nov 21, 2012
456 posts
277 upvotes
GVRD
yu203964 wrote:
alfred2003 wrote:
jshebib wrote:

WHAT'S ON YOUR CARD?
There are two sets of numbers. Use the shorter one at the middle of the back.
Worked. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
3155 posts
1869 upvotes
killer_chan wrote:
Ottomaddox wrote: Well, I just got a nasty surprise. One of the cards I bought the other day was used 2 days after I bought it in another city. Customer support is "doing an investigation" but it will take two weeks or so. The other cards I purchased still have balances, but for how long? I was going to buy some more, but this sort of crap just ain't worth the hassle, if a card can be compromised so easily.

The extra kick in the nuts was that I burned for the crappy tire money 14x multiple because of the empty card and had to use another CC.
This is what I was afraid of... got burned last time when I bought the Esso giftcards, same thing, card was used.
That happened to me with Esso as well. I now staple the receipt from each card's activation to the cardboard that the GCs are sold with so I have it handy in case this happens again.
Omega89 wrote: Can we use a credit card to buy these giftcards? Or does it have to be cash
Depends on the store. My local store requires cash or debit, though the store near my work allows credit cards.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes

Your SDM store has bad guy with reader to read the empty card details and wait for people like you to buy the card - then use it to buy stuff at CT.
Do you mind to disclose the SDM store location so that RFDer will avoid that store for GC purchase? TIA
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Oct 16, 2014
272 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote:

Your SDM store has bad guy with reader to read the empty card details and wait for people like you to buy the card - then use it to buy stuff at CT.
Do you mind to disclose the SDM store location so that RFDer will avoid that store for GC purchase? TIA
Wow.... I bought 5 cards... Should check my balances
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
3155 posts
1869 upvotes
embguy wrote:

That has happened to me at the Sherway store in etobicoke. Probably happens everywhere on cards that don't have security features to prevent it.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
4193 posts
11678 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Got CT GC's at 10% off, bought winter tires for 10% off, sending in MIR for tires, got My CT "Money".

BTW, I went straight from SDM to CT to redeem the GC's after seeing the comments about missing balances. Cards were activated immediately, numbers on the back matched the confirmation number on the receipt and cards were redeemed without issue.

Thanks OP and thanked.
frankmp wrote: Edmonton 52st and 167ave....... guessing that's a little far for you as you're likely in the east somewhere
Thanks for providing the location. I was in the area and tried to pay for a CT GC with an SDM GC but was refused. It sounds like the store owner has now advised their staff that paying for a GC with an SDM GC is not allowed. FYI for any future promos.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
embguy wrote:

I will disclose that information when the "investigation" has been resolved.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1541 posts
790 upvotes
Toronto
majikstic wrote:
Ottomaddox wrote:
can2000 wrote:

I'm pretty certain that GC's need to be swiped...similar to CC purchases. Even if the cashier was able to manually key in the numbers, the fraudster would still need to manufacture a card with your number printed on it. However, it could be possible that it was used online for a purchase. I believe that CT now has pay online and pickup in store?
Can't these GCs be used on their website to pay? No need for physical cards then.
=============
Heatware
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
3447 posts
894 upvotes
No, it's now officially over.
Commemorative loonie rolls, quarter rolls, 50 cent rolls all different kinds of rolls contact for details. Venetian glass bee $250 plus shipping. 20for20 canoe $30 shipped 20for20 polar bear $30 shipped. Lots of 5 packs loons, toons and quaters
Dec 27, 2007
725 posts
573 upvotes
Chi-tel wrote:
I paid 155 for 200, too bad , there are only $ 200 gc left
How did they arrive at that result?
Jun 15, 2012
166 posts
76 upvotes
grantz wrote:
choiclark wrote:
Rockdaddy22 wrote:

That's how it always is, I don't know why you'd think it'd be different this time.
Well, I am sorry this is the first time I actually got to know about this deal, so I did not know I was supposed to know how it's supposed to work.
You could always try reading the whole thread, lots of good info!
I do read the whole thread... but not the entire history of a specific type of deal... Sorry I have a life to live. Deals are good, but I am not a full time deal seeker.