• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2015 12:20 am
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
1107 posts
225 upvotes
Kanata

Shoppers Drug Mart Seniors Day discount - YMMV

Just a warning to those looking to take advantage of the Seniors discount frequently offered on Thursdays at SDM - it was a good one today, with 20% and a bonus $10 card, but make sure they know the details of the promotion first:

I just had a brutal experience this evening at SDM over the Seniors day promotion. While the signage clearly stated "SDM discounts apply to regular prices on all merchandise purchased by seniors and their accompanying family members with a valid Shoppers optimum card", they gave me a REALLY hard time about it. I was shopping with my mother-in-law (a senior), and everything was fine until I mentioned that I was looking to redeem some of MY points from MY card. They told me that I couldn't do that, since it had to be HER card and they can only scan one card per transaction. I felt that it could be interpreted that I was a family member with a valid optimum card, but after contacting head office, their interpretation was that it had to be on HER card. Silly, since I could have simply transferred 95000 points from my card to hers, but whatever. Went back to try again, and then it got TRULY ridiculous. The cashiers wouldn't let me pay. That's right, apparently the purchase had to be made with HER money for some reason. At this point, I'm fairly sure they were trying to pull that just to spite me. I couldn't even hand her my debit card to pay. I'm pretty sure that if I'd handed her cash in front of them they would've denied it as well. Just a horrible experience. At various times, I was told that the discount ONLY applied to the seniors, and no one else. I brought them one of their own signs to try to convince them. Eventually, someone at head office spoke with them and I was told by the cashiers that they would make a "one time exception". Speaking with head office after the fact, I was told that they'd speak with the store manager tomorrow, and I insisted that it be made clear that they weren't doing me a favour with a "one time exception", but they were simply forced to honour their own policy. Other customers were delayed, my mother-in-law was held up and embarrassed and, to top it off, texted my wife that it sounded like I was committing fraud. What a great night...

Anyone else been hassled like this? Sorry for the rant, folks, but the adrenaline hasn't quite drained away yet, and I need to know that I'm not crazy. Tried to post in the Off Topic, but it didn't seem to acknowledge my checkmark in agreeing to the terms. Kind of fitting, when you think about the experience I've just had.
34 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
1107 posts
225 upvotes
Kanata
ManCaveGamer wrote: thanks OP, bought 12
I was expecting that, it's the RFD equivalent of "first!", but keep in mind that I DID try to post in the appropriate forum. There seems to be a bug there, as I'm not the first to have that issue. Powers-that-be, feel free to move this to OT where it belongs.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2005
2664 posts
220 upvotes
I got a seniors discount for some reason when I went into Shoppers today
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10889 posts
5430 upvotes
Toronto
Talula wrote: I was expecting that, it's the RFD equivalent of "first!", but keep in mind that I DID try to post in the appropriate forum. There seems to be a bug there, as I'm not the first to have that issue. Powers-that-be, feel free to move this to OT where it belongs.
Off-Topic is also the wrong forum. "Shopping Discussion" is the forum you're looking for.

BlazinTrini wrote: I got a seniors discount for some reason when I went into Shoppers today
also my mom successfully used the seniors discount today on milk.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2017 posts
245 upvotes
This deal is smoking. Especially the part about you getting owned by a cashier lol
"I've been tearing money since my first Holy Communion."
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1652 posts
262 upvotes
I think you learned a good lesson tonight, as well as sharing with others the same lesson.

Let the senior hand them YOUR optimum card, and pay with whatever payment YOU have chosen.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2005
2664 posts
220 upvotes
It was for milk here as well and I am not even a senior
Dec 6, 2013
960 posts
480 upvotes
lalaland
ManCaveGamer wrote: Off-Topic is also the wrong forum. "Shopping Discussion" is the forum you're looking for.
Wrong forum but at least appreciate the intention, no need to be mean about it with your first comment =/

Thanks OP, I agree with you completely what the store did was ridiculous!
:cool:
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
1107 posts
225 upvotes
Kanata
olp79 wrote: I think you learned a good lesson tonight, as well as sharing with others the same lesson.

Let the senior hand them YOUR optimum card, and pay with whatever payment YOU have chosen.
Agreed. If I'd just hung back and let her do it all, this all could have been avoided. Hindsight, right? But I'll admit that I'm weak enough to really want the satisfaction of having the store apologize to me and admit their mistake. It just became about the principle of honouring their written word.
Apr 11, 2009
103 posts
22 upvotes
Talula wrote: Just a warning to those looking to take advantage of the Seniors discount frequently offered on Thursdays at SDM - it was a good one today, with 20% and a bonus $10 card, but make sure they know the details of the promotion first:

I just had a brutal experience this evening at SDM over the Seniors day promotion. While the signage clearly stated "SDM discounts apply to regular prices on all merchandise purchased by seniors and their accompanying family members with a valid Shoppers optimum card", they gave me a REALLY hard time about it. I was shopping with my mother-in-law (a senior), and everything was fine until I mentioned that I was looking to redeem some of MY points from MY card. They told me that I couldn't do that, since it had to be HER card and they can only scan one card per transaction. I felt that it could be interpreted that I was a family member with a valid optimum card, but after contacting head office, their interpretation was that it had to be on HER card. Silly, since I could have simply transferred 95000 points from my card to hers, but whatever. Went back to try again, and then it got TRULY ridiculous. The cashiers wouldn't let me pay. That's right, apparently the purchase had to be made with HER money for some reason. At this point, I'm fairly sure they were trying to pull that just to spite me. I couldn't even hand her my debit card to pay. I'm pretty sure that if I'd handed her cash in front of them they would've denied it as well. Just a horrible experience. At various times, I was told that the discount ONLY applied to the seniors, and no one else. I brought them one of their own signs to try to convince them. Eventually, someone at head office spoke with them and I was told by the cashiers that they would make a "one time exception". Speaking with head office after the fact, I was told that they'd speak with the store manager tomorrow, and I insisted that it be made clear that they weren't doing me a favour with a "one time exception", but they were simply forced to honour their own policy. Other customers were delayed, my mother-in-law was held up and embarrassed and, to top it off, texted my wife that it sounded like I was committing fraud. What a great night...

Anyone else been hassled like this? Sorry for the rant, folks, but the adrenaline hasn't quite drained away yet, and I need to know that I'm not crazy. Tried to post in the Off Topic, but it didn't seem to acknowledge my checkmark in agreeing to the terms. Kind of fitting, when you think about the experience I've just had.
I had a similar experience with Shoppers on a senior day. Gave the same BS but I totally agree its not very clear as to who can use the optimum. The clerk did do it for us but it was a couple minutes of hassle and I think we were both more confused than anything. Each shoppers is independently run so they can get away with lots of Stuff. I had a printed discount coupon and was told they don't accept coupons.
Dec 6, 2013
960 posts
480 upvotes
lalaland
doobgear wrote: Each shoppers is independently run so they can get away with lots of Stuff.
Amend to that. I'm so used to being able to return stuff anywhere with the big chain stores, that I thought SDM would be the same. But NOPE, you gotta go back to where you bought it from to return it. Huge hassle. Electronic stuff btw.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2011
1329 posts
360 upvotes
xfftwf wrote: Amend to that. I'm so used to being able to return stuff anywhere with the big chain stores, that I thought SDM would be the same. But NOPE, you gotta go back to where you bought it from to return it. Huge hassle. Electronic stuff btw.
You definitely have to be wary when buying electronics from SDM. I've heard some bad stories of people not being able to return electronic items (unopened and defective). I personally ended up having to take my Xbox One back because it was defective and the manager didn't really want to take it back claiming that they don't get money back from Microsoft for returned Xbox Ones because that's their deal with them? Anyways, he was a very nervous manager but in the end quite nice and did the exchange. He practically begged me to just deal with Microsoft directly (offering Optimum points and such) but I wasn't going to wait a month to get a refurbished Xbox from MS when mine isn't even a month old and I was told when I bought it from SDM that I had a month to return it if I had any problems. I would've if there was a Microsoft store nearby that I could've taken it to but there isn't.
Mar 26, 2005
631 posts
397 upvotes
There is a high turnover of staff in cash sometimes. They don't always know the full details of every promo even though they should. I actually never knew the "seniors and their accompanying family members" thing until just now. Glad it worked out for you although kinda annoying.
Dec 6, 2013
960 posts
480 upvotes
lalaland
strippedaway wrote: You definitely have to be wary when buying electronics from SDM. I've heard some bad stories of people not being able to return electronic items (unopened and defective). I personally ended up having to take my Xbox One back because it was defective and the manager didn't really want to take it back claiming that they don't get money back from Microsoft for returned Xbox Ones because that's their deal with them? Anyways, he was a very nervous manager but in the end quite nice and did the exchange. He practically begged me to just deal with Microsoft directly (offering Optimum points and such) but I wasn't going to wait a month to get a refurbished Xbox from MS when mine isn't even a month old and I was told when I bought it from SDM that I had a month to return it if I had any problems. I would've if there was a Microsoft store nearby that I could've taken it to but there isn't.
Definitely. I've had to return unopened electronics to about 3 different stores, and each had their own different policy! Most of them would start with 'no we don't accept return for electronics'. Then I would say I was told 2 weeks when I bought it. Then they would reluctantly refund as if they were doing me a huge favour.

I only buy electronics that I know for sure I will keep.. but never considered the case of it being defective. Your story really made me rethink my strategy lol
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13456 posts
12205 upvotes
To avoid this problem, use your credit card to purchase SDM gift card first and give the GC to your senior to do the purchase. If you want to use points as part of the payment. Transfer points before go shopping.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6705 posts
2104 upvotes
Mississauga
ManCaveGamer wrote: Off-Topic is also the wrong forum. "Shopping Discussion" is the forum you're looking for.

also my mom successfully used the seniors discount today on milk.
Dam it ,you just reminded me that I forgot to buy eggs from SDM when I was there tonight.
Silence is the best answer to a fool
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2004
1107 posts
225 upvotes
Kanata
There's all kinds of ways, in hindsight, that I could have avoided this problem; that's not in question. Thing is, I didn't expect it to be necessary as it shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. The mere fact that there ARE so many ways to have your senior family member make your purchase for you, is likely why they state (in writing) that the promotion applies to accompanying family members.
Mar 20, 2012
699 posts
585 upvotes
Vaughan
Using your optimum points on senior discount is wrong, posting this thread on hot deal forum is wrong as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2153 posts
392 upvotes
where's the hot deal here?

next time publish your rant in "shopping discussion", please
:) Love is too beautiful to be hidden in the closet ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)