Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Shoppers Drug Mart

Shoppers Drug Mart Nov 18-24 Super Sale

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2017 12:48 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1091 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
There's a few switches at Mavis and Burnhamthrope sdm if anyone is looking
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25727 upvotes
Montreal
Patreck wrote: I bought the Technicolor TCU5563 from Shoppers Drugmart during their super sale earlier this week and WOW am I DISAPPOINTED. I used some of my shoppers points and received $70.00 off the asking price of $439.00 in Abbotsford, BC. I currently have a 43" Samsung which is fine but I wanted something larger. It advertises on the box that the resolution is 2160p but output is 720p. Resolution was lousy and the picture has a slow refresh rate. Anytime you get an action shot sequence it seems like stop motion animation.

I had both TV's hooked up to my Telus PVR. Samsung was fine. The jerkiness of the Technicolor seemed to want to trigger an epilieptic episode. I have high speed fibre optic service with good bandwidth. The Technicolor TCU5563 was unwatchable. Seemed like an old (CRT) Cathode ray tube TV. It had a VGA port for old computers on the back and no optical port for sound. A whole lot of really old technology for anyone wanting old school TV's. Seems Techicolour TV's are affiliated with RCA which consistently underwhelm in Consumer Reports.

Instruction manual was incomplete with no links to any website, no manufacturer information anywhere. There were no contact numbers.

This piece of junk is going back to Shoppers Drug Mart today. I am totally disappointed with this offering. It is not a deal. I am not impressed. I will be in line at Best Buy by 5:00 am on December 26th for boxing day I guess.
Thank you for taking the time to post that thoughtful post. Welcome to RFD.

I'm sorry for your situation and I hope that it will be a lesson for others:

Dont't buy a TV at a Drug Store where there are none on display and don't buy your cold medicine at Canadian Tire where you can't get advice.

When buying something that will be used daily for years, DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFOREHAND i.e. read reviews on the Internet.

Don't buy bastard brands.
Banned
Apr 27, 2014
1327 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Temporel wrote: Thank you for taking the time to post that thoughtful post. Welcome to RFD.

Dont't buy a TV at a Drug Store where there are none on display and don't buy your cold medicine at Canadian Tire where you can't get advice.

When buying something that will be used daily for years, DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFOREHAND i.e. read reviews on the Internet.

Don't buy bastard brands.
Or buy a TV where there is a lenient return policy, this person might be SOL since some shoppers don't take returns on opened electronics.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5116 posts
984 upvotes
T.
Patreck wrote: I bought the Technicolor TCU5563 from Shoppers Drugmart during their super sale earlier this week and WOW am I DISAPPOINTED. I used some of my shoppers points and received $70.00 off the asking price of $439.00 in Abbotsford, BC. I currently have a 43" Samsung which is fine but I wanted something larger. It advertises on the box that the resolution is 2160p but output is 720p. Resolution was lousy and the picture has a slow refresh rate. Anytime you get an action shot sequence it seems like stop motion animation.

I had both TV's hooked up to my Telus PVR. Samsung was fine. The jerkiness of the Technicolor seemed to want to trigger an epilieptic episode. I have high speed fibre optic service with good bandwidth. The Technicolor TCU5563 was unwatchable. Seemed like an old (CRT) Cathode ray tube TV. It had a VGA port for old computers on the back and no optical port for sound. A whole lot of really old technology for anyone wanting old school TV's. Seems Techicolour TV's are affiliated with RCA which consistently underwhelm in Consumer Reports.

Instruction manual was incomplete with no links to any website, no manufacturer information anywhere. There were no contact numbers.

This piece of junk is going back to Shoppers Drug Mart today. I am totally disappointed with this offering. It is not a deal. I am not impressed. I will be in line at Best Buy by 5:00 am on December 26th for boxing day I guess.
Good luck with the return. SDM is notoriously bad for them.
Mar 17, 2014
69 posts
64 upvotes
WATERDOWN
Temporel wrote: Thank you for taking the time to post that thoughtful post. Welcome to RFD.

Don't buy bastard brand
Hmmmm... That Technicolor 55" 4K works fine for me at 4K on an Xbox one X going through a Pioneer VSX-831 4K receiver. Did I have to fiddle a bit to get it to work... Yes... but for around 209 with my $170 in points , it was a deal. Remember even the big name 4K TV's have their problems working with other equipment (try a google search.. pick ur brand) , not to mention that you will pay at least an extra $400 for something that might give you reduced issues. The 4K screen on this Technicolor is good without any bleeding or dead pixels, and the build quality is good. The biggest factor will be the longevity of the unit, but if you have the points to offset the price, it's worth the risk.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)