• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2018 5:06 pm
Oct 14, 2017
413 posts
204 upvotes
GTA
Paigne wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 4:21 pm
It depends a lot on what you buy because $300 at RCSS might get you more than $330 at SDM. Of course for some items, they will be priced the same so in those cases it might make more sense to spend points now. Also the last few years, rcss (or loblaw/city market) has done spend 150k get 30k back, which basically makes that $300 value jump to $360 if you wait till a redemption event. Again everything depends on your spending habits and what you plan on buying. Most of the electronics from the flyer are regular priced meaning odds are you might find a better deal with just regular redemption (and the item on sale).

Basically you are right in the fact you should do some math before writing off the deal but also do a lot of math before buying in. The other thing to remember is rcss does price match (sdm doesnt) so that again could alter the calculations of how far your points go toward products.
It also matters how much you want whatever you're looking to buy, and how much / many you want. I see people who buy over a year's worth of things like paper towels and toilet paper during bonus redemption events. Fine for them, but I'd need to get a better deal than that to buy so much at once. Or with electronics, what if the deal at bonus redemption time is for something close to what you want but not exactly? Do you go for it anyway because you've never seen as good a deal on the thing you want more? There's no answer that's universally best for everyone since value is subjective.
Oct 14, 2017
413 posts
204 upvotes
GTA
ipse wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 4:08 pm
Yikes....hard to find what to spend 210$ on... :(
WTH is with SDM and electronics, every time I WANT to spend points I find myself struggling to find anything to indulge on.
You're not alone. The overlap between their product mix and the things I'm in the market for usually isn't conducive to redeeming at the 95k or even the 50k level.
Oct 7, 2017
72 posts
39 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 3:20 pm
hmm go shopping at shoppers for 75$ worth of stuff or wait till end of month and 60$ worth of stuff at superstore.
Huh? The PC Optimum points are worth the same as Shoppers Optimum. Just did a conversion at 50,000 Shoppers points right now is worth $85, and it will be worth 85,000 points when it goes to PC Optimum which is also worth $85.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6161 posts
1931 upvotes
Canada
tarushin wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 2:51 pm
Dear Loblaws after the points fusion I hope they add better electronics lol
Not likely considering my SDMs all have tons of electronics, while all our RCSS do not.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
5094 posts
1707 upvotes
Canada
ClarkZuckerberg wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 5:18 pm
Huh? The PC Optimum points are worth the same as Shoppers Optimum. Just did a conversion at 50,000 Shoppers points right now is worth $85, and it will be worth 85,000 points when it goes to PC Optimum which is also worth $85.
You get $105 during the event, which this thread is all about... !!
Koodo customer
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
1047 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lunear wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 2:20 pm
Damn! I just redeemed my 95K points for $170 last weekend because they are going to switch to new point system in February.
Bring back all items you purchased and re-buy all
It’s an extra $40 that you can use to buy others
Dec 4, 2014
12 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I am wondering...,

if I don't really need anything now, can I buy some durable items during this weekend, and return them after 1 Feb?

Will that mean I can convert 95K ($210) to 210K PC Optimum pts instead of 170K auto converted by the system, because I returned $210 value of goods, and the system should credit my new PC optimum card 210K points?

Also, can I redeem 95K towards gift card purchase or TTC tokens?
Last edited by turndd on Jan 9th, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 29, 2015
98 posts
4 upvotes
Any skin care product worth buying for $75+? It'd be a gift for my niece who is in her mid-late 20's.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
1801 posts
1394 upvotes
Calgary
turndd wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 5:38 pm
I am wondering...,

if I don't really need anything now, can I buy some durable items during this weekend, and return them after 1 Feb?

Will that mean I can convert 95K ($210) to 210K PC Optimum pts instead of 170K auto converted by the system, because I returned $210 value of goods, and the system should credit my new PC optimum card 210K points?

No gift cards or transit tickets/tokens. If you return it usually goes on to a gift card which might limit you to shoppers drug Mart still.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1489 posts
721 upvotes
turndd wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 5:38 pm
I am wondering...,

Anything bought with points are returned onto a gift card as they cannot return points. But I had one return where the lady refunded the full amount onto my CC cause she only looked for the CC payment type for the tax portion Face With Tears Of Joy
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
3285 posts
1052 upvotes
rolomonster wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 5:54 pm
Anything bought with points are returned onto a gift card as they cannot return points. But I had one return where the lady refunded the full amount onto my CC cause she only looked for the CC payment type for the tax portion Face With Tears Of Joy
Gift card would be ok. It would lock in your redemption rate until you need it. And you don't have to spend it all in one shot.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1489 posts
721 upvotes
yeahwhat wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:55 pm
Electronics
Any chance you can post a better image of the promo pic? Cannot read it. Is it redeem 95000 and get back $40 worth of points on a certain date? If so, what is the date and how many points exactly? $40 of points after Feb 1st may mean less than $40 of points before the change over as some people are sitting at higher conversion levels.
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1369 posts
652 upvotes
Vancouver
mech9t5 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 5:59 pm
Gift card would be ok. It would lock in your redemption rate until you need it. And you don't have to spend it all in one shot.
Just remember all transaction are tracked by your SDM/PC card so if you return for no real reason/planned return often, you might have some issues in the future (ie card gets flagged). Buying something with plan to return at SDM is far from ideal considering their return policy is YMMV to start with. Also some stores will say all points sale are final sale (no returns only exchange) so dont assume the returns will always be easy.

I think the 24 hrs location at richmond/cambie actually stamps “final sale” on all electronic or point sales (or they did the last time i redeemed points there... same with ps4 pro over a year ago).
[OP]
Mar 6, 2015
239 posts
177 upvotes
Quebec, QC
rolomonster wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 6:07 pm
Any chance you can post a better image of the promo pic? Cannot read it. Is it redeem 95000 and get back $40 worth of points on a certain date? If so, what is the date and how many points exactly? $40 of points after Feb 1st may mean less than $40 of points before the change over as some people are sitting at higher conversion levels.
That's about the best I can do considering the quality of both my camera phone and the crappy printing. It reads, "Il s'agit là de 40$ de plus/that's an extra $40." You get $210 off your purchase for spending 95k points. No points back at a later date.