Expired Hot Deals

[Shoppers Drug Mart] Super spend your points event

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2018 9:41 am
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2589 posts
534 upvotes
"If you go get a part time job and earn money, the amount of money in your pocket is more than if you don't work and spend your money on fun family events."

This argument "Don't spend your points because if you pay cash you earn more points" is a baffling attitude. When we're talking about redemption, maximizing your redemption is great advice, not redeeming and paying cash to earn more points is the opposite of redemption.

If you want to debate the value of never redeeming to maximize earning, then redeeming on stuff that's not a good value for redemption, well, go right ahead, but to those falling for it, shake your head, walk away, and redeem your points on what you want, and enjoy your purchase.

I know I've had a lot more fun collecting and redeeming points for game consoles than for eggs. And if you don't factor that into the whole equation, you're on the wrong website.

My advice: NEVER EVER purchase items that are not a good value JUST to earn points. If you can't get items on sale, that you need (or that you can store and will not go stale or be wasted) when you have a 20x points day, there will be another one in a week or so. Don't spend your money.

Me, on 20x points days I buy things like Sockeye Salmon in cans for $2.99 a can (about the same as Costco), frozen food, dry goods, soft drinks, anti-perspirant on sale, etc., to get to the 20x bonus points teir... but that's not "like saving 25%". That's just buying stuff in bulk that's already competitively priced. Earning the points is an incentive to 'stock up' but not to pay uncompetitive prices for goods.

Now, when I go to redeem, I don't fall into the trap of buying items that aren't competitively priced with my points either. The fact that you got a good deal when you EARNED your points is irrelevant to when you redeem them: they are like cash. If you wouldn't buy something that wasn't a good value with your actual cash, don't spend points that way either.

...but not spending to earn more is not how real life works. You earn, you spend, what is the point of earning if you don't spend, and what is the point of being on RFD if you spend on poor value purchases.

May you all find XBox One Xs and Switches and TVs and Computers in plentiful stock!
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Oct 14, 2017
2 posts
petrachen wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 3:48 pm
bought estee lauder from beautyboutique.ca
the price was exact 100 redeemed 80,000 points covering the price
then paid 13 for tax and earned 10,000 points.
ebates has 4% cashback
Can you clarify how you made purchases online through ebates and then went to SDM to redeem your points? Was it through a GC purchase?
Oct 14, 2017
758 posts
480 upvotes
GTA
lorax1284 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 11:13 pm
Me, on 20x points days I buy things like Sockeye Salmon in cans for $2.99 a can (about the same as Costco), frozen food, dry goods, soft drinks, anti-perspirant on sale, etc., to get to the 20x bonus points teir... but that's not "like saving 25%". That's just buying stuff in bulk that's already competitively priced. Earning the points is an incentive to 'stock up' but not to pay uncompetitive prices for goods.
for sockeye salmon, $1.99 is the price I look for. Stocked up twice in the past year or so.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1129 posts
441 upvotes
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 7:38 pm
I bought FC 5 at full price and got back 58k+ in pts and giftcard.
Wow. What were the promos behind that?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
3024 posts
1602 upvotes
Toronto and London
D168 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 1:21 am
Wow. What were the promos behind that?
$25 gift card for purchasing fc5.

25k pts on purchases of $75 or above.

8k pts via my app offer that I managed to stack.
Nov 22, 2016
99 posts
221 upvotes
Toronto
Woke up late and went around 1-2PM to 3 24hrs stores in toronto to get the Garmin ActiveHR for $199 was able to get it near downtown(125 Queens way) 24hr store last piece, they had still lot of electronics including one x and xbox 1, laptops other garmin activity trackers and lot of cameras and sounds systems!

Asked the manager there that they will only have few of the items mentioned in flyer each day and restock from back for everyday until the event so everyone gets a chance at them. Could be store specific ?
😱-Deals!
Temp. Banned
Jan 25, 2018
216 posts
134 upvotes
Chaselap wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 1:57 pm
Is there no difference if I redeem 50,000 points as opposed to 180,000? Or do I recieve more % of points if I redeem more?
I. Just... cant.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5993 posts
1015 upvotes
Mont-Royal
nice that works for employee! 30% + 20% woah!
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Nov 9, 2002
530 posts
185 upvotes
Wondering if the PS4 gold headset is a good option, it's the older one, but get to use points on something son wants for playing Fortnite... About 95k points and $15 ?? Don't know if good idea, I am not a gamer, lol
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
1414 posts
546 upvotes
Mississauga
arumba wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 6:53 pm
Tried to redeem points at Loblaws today but cashier and then customer service said the event is only for Shoppers. Is that true? I ended up not using the points.
jesus

lmao
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1183 posts
758 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RiftOfChaos wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 1:31 am
$25 gift card for purchasing fc5.

25k pts on purchases of $75 or above.

8k pts via my app offer that I managed to stack.
Where did you get the 25k on $75 offer?
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Mar 17, 2016
45 posts
10 upvotes
Originalmotto wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 11:29 pm
Can you clarify how you made purchases online through ebates and then went to SDM to redeem your points? Was it through a GC purchase?
You can redeem your points online when you check out.
I received $4 cashback.
So I actually paid 80000 points buying them.