• Nov 20th, 2017 1:47 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2700 posts
97 upvotes
Montreal
7-Endless wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:26 pm
I guess the point I was trying to get across is that just saying its 5.7% less may seem like it's not a big difference, but for me its much more important to look at the dollar value. I typically spend close to 3K a year at Shoppers so I'd be looking at $165 less in total...that's not an insignificant amount even though it's only 5.7% less...at that amount it starts to feel more like 57% lol.
Another point is that the regular prices at SDM may already be more than 5.7% higher, which means that being able to make redemptions at Maxi (in QC) compensates for this "loss." I regularly price match for discounts greater than 6%.
mikka2017 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:50 am
If SDM still has mega bonus redemption days after merger then it's good... Course they won't imo.. No more 95k for 170$ to 230$ tier.... I can see them giving 100k for 150 maybe?
The old tier system is gone, and the new regular redemption rate is 90k for $90, 100k for $100. The points have different values, and your existing points will be converted at a fair rate. You're right, clearly they won't offer 95k for $170, because that would be an insane 80% bonus. 95k is now worth $95 (though you can only redeem for $90 or $100). 100k for $150 would be a 50% bonus, which also seems pretty crazy. It's going to take a while to get used to the new numbers.
Voted RFD Most Helpful/Knowledgeable User in 2008

SDM mini-FAQ
*GCs don't count as a purchase for SDM promotions.
*You can't buy GC's with Optimum points.
*You can only make one redemption on a single purchase.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7324 posts
483 upvotes
I assume two people cannot combine accounts into one card after this lol.

Was hoping me and my husband can just combine all of our PC and Optimum accounts into one.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
3014 posts
80 upvotes
Markham
Cyanne wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:36 am
Another point is that the regular prices at SDM may already be more than 5.7% higher, which means that being able to make redemptions at Maxi (in QC) compensates for this "loss."
Yeah for those who shop at other places besides Shoppers this will not be so bad. But for those of us who do - we will be impacted more (even if we strategically shop at SDM) unfortunately.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2645 posts
135 upvotes
Mississauga
Rfdluv wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 5:46 pm
WOW. If you have 95,000 optimum points ($170 value) they will now be 95,000 pc points ($95 value). CRAZY CHICKENS GUYS
Looks like it might wind up as no more shopping at Shoppers for a lot of people IMHO !

Just might be the kiss of death for Shoppers if their "loyal Optimum points fans " bail on them ~
Just no way a lot of people will continue shopping there where 100K in points yields $100.00 of grossly overpriced merchandise

When Loblaws took over Shoppers, I am sure everyone knew that they would "raid" the Optimum points program
and essentially ruin it.
I can't see how the franchise owners are too thrilled with this bold strategy- sic "The Emperor 's new clothes "
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13630 posts
1197 upvotes
Toronto
7-Endless wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:54 am
Yeah for those who shop at other places besides Shoppers this will not be so bad. But for those of us who do - we will be impacted more (even if we strategically shop at SDM) unfortunately.
It's not THAT bad lol
The prices are not changing, the redemptions are, which at the end of the day are a bonus for shopping with SDM. You have to shop there comparing them to other stores with a points bonus, not the other way around - like many do - as the go-to because you get points.

For me, I lose a little in terms of redemptions but I don't redeem several times a year but as a trade off, I can have access to more stuff, including groceries which I can get at a competitive price. That's the huge plus to me, in this merge.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Feb 7, 2014
125 posts
34 upvotes
Kitchener
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 8:33 am
Ya we strategy shop. Do the bulk of our Shoppers buys on 20x the points days only (or with a 20x coupon). Plus when we do buy something it has to fit into one of two categories... We ABSOLUTELY NEED IT... or it is ON SALE and can be stockpiled. And then we always ONLY cash in on Redemption Bonus Events.

Loblaws is just one of my favourite grocery stores (tops the list). We maintain both a Pantry & Freezer (lol stuff I learned from my Depression Era Parents). And we shop with the same strategy... buy what is on SALE or we ABSOLUTELY NEED. We cash in on Redemption Bonus Events... or if we need to outlay a large amount on Groceries (ie Family Gathering) or in December or January when our budget is tighter.

The best of both these worlds are when there are Bonus Points on stuff on Sale. Then I stock up.

Since joining RFD and following the PC Plus Points thread, I've done much better than I did in the past. There are several of us there now tracking our Offers, and understanding how / when they occur. If you can find a pattern, then you can actually sort of plan for your next stock up.

We use our freezer & pantry to our advantage. If onions are on sale, and I have PC Points on them too, I'll buy several, chop them up and freeze them. They are ready to go into whatever hot dish I am preparing when I need them.

Every Summer we make a point of clearing out the Pantry & Freezer... eating pretty much everything we have on hand and then starting the whole process over. We find summer best, because we are lazy, and would prefer to spend our free time doing other things than being in the Grocery Store. Come September we start the stock up again with whatever we've grown in our own Garden and buying stuff on sale to freeze or make other things (like Spaghetti Sauce, Chili, Soup, etc) to put into the Freezer as well.

It sounds complicated perhaps, but it isn't really. Just takes a bit of organization. We don't even have a real garden per se, we just have a bunch of things in containers... but it works. Nicest thing (and easiest too) are the assortment of herbs. At the end of the Summer I bring them indoors, harvest them and either dry or freeze. Herbs & Spices are expensive to buy, they are dirt cheap this way. And occasionally I get lucky, and some make it thru most of the Winter on a windowsill. But starting over from seed isn't that hard either.

Plus the best thing is a sense of accomplishment that this whole process brings. Feels good to save money, knowing that we would have spent it anyhow... that money saved gets to go towards something else that we want (lol, and can hopefully also find a deal or points on... like Travel).
this is an amazing post :). thank you for that
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4166 posts
1168 upvotes
Kingston, ON
speedyforme wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:30 am

Was hoping me and my husband can just combine all of our PC and Optimum accounts into one.
From what's been released, it sounds like the points are designed to all roll up into one "household" account, so you and your husband will have one combined bucket of points. More details to follow, I guess, but there was something about there being one big household bucket, but you can still see who earned what, and when there's a redemption, the points are deducted proportionally.

auto-m8 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:16 am
Looks like it might wind up as no more shopping at Shoppers for a lot of people IMHO !

Just might be the kiss of death for Shoppers if their "loyal Optimum points fans " bail on them ~
Just no way a lot of people will continue shopping there where 100K in points yields $100.00 of grossly overpriced merchandise

When Loblaws took over Shoppers, I am sure everyone knew that they would "raid" the Optimum points program
and essentially ruin it.
I can't see how the franchise owners are too thrilled with this bold strategy- sic "The Emperor 's new clothes "
I find Canadian consumers have a "we're getting screwed" complex. "Ohh, XYZ is so much cheaper in the States!" ...sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes people look at a lower price in USD and can't do the mental math to see that the "higher" price in Canada is exactly the same as the US price, or even better. These are also the people who think they "lose 30%" when they exchange CAD for USD.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is seeing the Facebook / Twitter responses to this points program announcement is everyone is preemptively, apprehensively presuming that this change is going to screw them, when frankly if they were going to eventually merge the two programs, I can't think of a better way to do it than the details I've seen so far. People are automatically presuming their prophecies of the demise of the 'only good points program in Canada' have come true, without bothering to read the details first.

"Emperor's new clothes," indeed.

Losing the tiers changes the max reward gaming, going down from a 35.7% reward for 20X the points, excluding Spend your points events, down to 30%. This is a cut, but being able to earn one bucket of points from all Loblaw stores, redeem them at all Loblaw stores, up to $500 in a single transaction, and the minimum redemption lowering from $20 to $10 (non-SDM banners) are all pluses for us as customers. At the same time, the mechanics of the SDM Optimum program are preserved: base pts per dollar and 20X and Spend your points. It's a slight haircut in return for a huge increase in flexibility. You'll now be able to earn 20X points at Shoppers on 'overpriced' items, but redeem the points at No Frills for your price-matched bags of milk. I'm pretty sure smart RFDers may actually get a better return out of this than before for that reason.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2700 posts
97 upvotes
Montreal
speedyforme wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:30 am

Hmmm... you can combine all of your SDM points NOW, which you should absolutely do before February to maximize their value, although I'm unsure about the PC cards. Combining the PC cards before the conversion is less important, though, because its redemption rate isn't tiered. It remains to be seen whether points will be able to be transferred with the new system.
7-Endless wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:54 am
tor
Have you considered shopping/redeeming at stores other than SDM? You can strategically use both types of stores to get maximum value.
auto-m8 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:16 am

it's 100k of the new points, which accumulate 15/$1 at SDM, and it's important to remember that 95 k of the old SDM optimum points are going to convert into 170 k of the new PC Optimum points. I expect SDM to continue to have coupons and promotions which grant extra points, to entice those loyal SDM customers to keep coming back. I also wouldn't be surprised if they keep having bonus redemptions at SDM. I think I'll get more value out of redeeming for products I was going to get anyway at a grocery store, though, than for using up extra points on things I never would have bought if I wasn't looking to use up the points. However, if they have enticing enough bonus redemption offers, they may lure me back.

When I got the emails from SDM/Pharmaprix and PC yesterday, I was fully prepared to be upset and outraged. However... after analyzing the situation, I think we may actually be better off. The details of implementation will matter, but this has the potential to be good, IMHO.

SDM mini-FAQ
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7324 posts
483 upvotes
Mike15 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:33 am
From what's been released, it sounds like the points are designed to all roll up into one "household" account, so you and your husband will have one combined bucket of points. More details to follow, I guess, but there was something about there being one big household bucket, but you can still see who earned what, and when there's a redemption, the points are deducted proportionally.

I find Canadian consumers have a "we're getting screwed" complex. "Ohh, XYZ is so much cheaper in the States!" ...sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes people look at a lower price in USD and can't do the mental math to see that the "higher" price in Canada is exactly the same as the US price, or even better. These are also the people who think they "lose 30%" when they exchange CAD for USD.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is seeing the Facebook / Twitter responses to this points program announcement is everyone is preemptively, apprehensively presuming that this change is going to screw them, when frankly if they were going to eventually merge the two programs, I can't think of a better way to do it than the details I've seen so far. People are automatically presuming their prophecies of the demise of the 'only good points program in Canada' have come true, without bothering to read the details first.

"Emperor's new clothes," indeed.

Losing the tiers changes the max reward gaming, going down from a 35.7% reward for 20X the points, excluding Spend your points events, down to 30%. This is a cut, but being able to earn one bucket of points from all Loblaw stores, redeem them at all Loblaw stores, up to $500 in a single transaction, and the minimum redemption lowering from $20 to $10 (non-SDM banners) are all pluses for us as customers. At the same time, the mechanics of the SDM Optimum program are preserved: base pts per dollar and 20X and Spend your points. It's a slight haircut in return for a huge increase in flexibility. You'll now be able to earn 20X points at Shoppers on 'overpriced' items, but redeem the points at No Frills for your price-matched bags of milk. I'm pretty sure smart RFDers may actually get a better return out of this than before for that reason.
Oh this would be fabulous. Much easier for us. I hope it becomes more clear before this rolls out.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
3014 posts
80 upvotes
Markham
Cyanne wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:34 am

Have you considered shopping/redeeming at stores other than SDM? You can strategically use both types of stores to get maximum value.
Nope although I may have to start shopping at the other stores. I redeem strictly at SDM since I use my points to buy video games/consoles for myself and my son since the price is generally the same everywhere. Unfortunately, Superstore no longer sells that stuff...otherwise I would not have minded this merge as much.
Jan 13, 2008
848 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
I hear ya.. I dont usually know what to redeem them for. I end up with either protein powder or the latest console. The true losers in all this are the gaming consoles. We wont be upgrading as often. lol That said, I am happy to be using my points for groceries instead for sure.
Cyanne wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:43 pm
Phew. Just finished reading this thread.

Yes, it should be a goal to get 95,000 points in your account by February to maximize the value of your existing points. If you don't already have a significant about of points, it might not be worth worrying about, because you aren't losing that much. I don't *think* they'll remove the transfer option, because they've already set their terms, but I don't know that they won't, so you're right, it's probably best to play it safe and transfer your points asap.

The optimum points aren't expiring, they're being converted to PC optimum points. For that matter, Airmiles reversed their policy after customer complaints, so airmiles don't expire anymore (which people who had redeemed their airmiles, thinking they would expire, also complained about). So far, I'm thinking PC/SDM have learned from that...

I will agree that if you were in the habit of saving up your points to maximum levels and waiting for bonus redemption days, you do potentially get less with the new system. That's always what I did, too, and yet... I think this new system is a win, overall. I think my strategy will be to buy sale items and fairly priced products at SDM using point coupons and on bonus days, but REDEEM points mostly on groceries at Loblaws-owned stores. And yes, I think there will continue to be special events at SDM because there have to be. Otherwise, as archvenus says, we wouldn't shop there. That hasn't changed. But I like not worrying about the tiers, or buying that extra thing I don't need just to get to get to the maximum redemption level. The profit margin on groceries is much lower than most products at SDM, so while yes, I will be earning slightly less than what I used to be able to get at the highest redemption levels, that's kind of compensated for by the extra value in the things for which I can redeem my points. Yes, there were some fairly priced items I could redeem for before, too, but it was hard to assemble $200 worth of them at once. And likewise, if I do want a higher-priced item, I like the ability to price match and redeem points for closer to its full cost.

I speculate SDM may still even have bonus redemption days if you redeem at SDM, because their profits are higher if you redeem there instead of at the grocery stores. but we'll see. I really do like the idea of spending my points on what I need for dinner on any old day, without feeling like I'm wasting them. How many consoles do I need, anyway?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
7295 posts
8160 upvotes
GT-EH
Rfdluv wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 5:46 pm
WOW. If you have 95,000 optimum points ($170 value) they will now be 95,000 pc points ($95 value). CRAZY CHICKENS GUYS
Doesn't work that way.

Optimum points conversion rates:

• Less than 8,000 pts ---> 1.250000
  • 8,000 pts ---> 1.250000
  • 22,000 pts ---> 1.363637
  • 38,000 pts ---> 1.578948
  • 50,000 pts ---> 1.700000
  • 95,000 pts ---> 1.789474
  • More than 95,000 pts ---> 1.789474

You get better value if your balance is above 95000 points.
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
3014 posts
80 upvotes
Markham
archvenus14 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:49 am
I hear ya.. I dont usually know what to redeem them for. I end up with either protein powder or the latest console. The true losers in all this are the gaming consoles. We wont be upgrading as often. lol That said, I am happy to be using my points for groceries instead for sure.
Yeah I think my other half is more happy about this change then I am...more reasons for her to go to No Frills/Superstore/Loblaws lol...
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2700 posts
97 upvotes
Montreal
archvenus14 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:49 am
The gamers do gain something from this, though. Consoles usually cost more than $200. Now they can use up to $500 of points to get them!

SDM mini-FAQ