Shopping Discussion

Shoppers Optimum Points Offers keep getting worse ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2016 11:23 am
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2749 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga

Shoppers Optimum Points Offers keep getting worse ?

Just received this - "We like you too much to let you miss out on great offers"

"8,000 Optimum Bonus Points when you spend $75 or more on ALMOST ANYTHING IN THE STORE.*

Typical special offer is 18,500 WUB 75.00

I guess they really haven't been missing me that much ! LOL
I don't even bother with the overpriced items in the flyer anymore, not worth the extra cost when crappy offers
are taken into consideration.
Once they were taken over by their new masters, I expected the offers to keep getting devalued !

Anyone else seeing this on their end ?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
Yes I agree with you. I used to frequently take advantage of their "offers" but lately they have been craptacular.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
no changes here...usually 30-40$ for 8000 points
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2749 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
It wasn't that long ago that Shoppers was offering up to 8,000 points when you spend 30.00 !

It moved up to the $40 level and you know the rest !!

I really believe that the "new owners" are testing the amount of customer's loyalty to the program
and gauging just "how low the water can be lowered before the rocks become a problem "

For me , it is already a problem as far as the program is concerned. MY patronage has dropped more than
80 % easily . I have recently switched over to Rexall and regularly use their 5 off 25 survey coupon
and combine it with the frequent bonus Air MIles events.

5 off of 25 is 20% at Rexall. Add in the bonus A/M events and up it goes !
SDM's recent 8k when you spend 75.00 is about 20 % as well

Which would you prefer $5.00 or 8k to spend on overpriced items ?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2749 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
Rules to follow with SDM

Rule 1- Buy only when on sale
Rule 2- Buy only with a coupon
Rule 3- Buy only when the WUB points is at the highest level
Rule 4- NEVER forget Rules 1, 2 and 3
Nov 22, 2010
759 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
I still get the 8K/$30 offers, just as recent as a couple weeks ago. But this (or previous) week's was 15X for $75, I think. Just need to wait for a good offer before I shop.

I don't shop at Rexall because I refuse to collect Air Miles.
Last edited by travelgeek on Dec 4th, 2016 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Last month I had 4000 points for $20 in snacks, which was pretty good. This week is 4000 points for $30 purchase...my offers are quite consistent. I do appreciate the bonus point offers on milk (I get this almost weekly) because we buy milk exclusively from SDM. Some weeks I'll get more than one bonus offer. Other than for milk, I rarely use their other product offers (some of it is tailored to my shopping but most are not).
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: This week is 4000 points for $30 purchase...
You have proved my point on the "offers" being mostly steaming pile of crap now. 20x used to be a routine thing.
Aug 12, 2008
25 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
I'm getting 6000 points WUB $30 coupon from the SDM app. It is possible that they are giving better incentives to less frequent customers. (From my experience with Starbucks)
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
ilove wrote: You have proved my point on the "offers" being mostly steaming pile of crap now. 20x used to be a routine thing.
Well, looking back at my offer redemption history, I used a 20x for spending $25 on anything in the store on Nov 4th. I shop frequently and don't tend to buy large amounts, so it's not like I could really capitalize on those 20x points offers anyway.

To be honest, I'm getting decent value out of my offers, at least I'm consistently getting offers for buying $X amounts, PC Plus has been very random at giving me those type offers.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
travelgeek wrote: I don't shop at Rexall because I refuse to collect Air Miles.
You know that they don't make you collect Air Miles, right?

I've been into a Rexall in downtown Vancouver maybe twice and just walked out with my purchases. Air Miles didn't enter my life.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Jul 4, 2015
382 posts
221 upvotes
auto-m8 wrote: ...

For me , it is already a problem as far as the program is concerned. MY patronage has dropped more than
80 % easily . I have recently switched over to Rexall and regularly use their 5 off 25 survey coupon
and combine it with the frequent bonus Air MIles events.

What's the 5 off 25 survey coupon?
May 16, 2015
945 posts
333 upvotes
York, ON
Haven't had 8k when spending $30 in a while, those were the best coupons. I like 1k for $10 too as I can buy basic needs (pop,chips,eggs,milk etc)
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
410 upvotes
We used to be regular shoppers at SDM, but noticed that prices started to go up. We were still shopping, but not so much. Then Loblaws bought it and when it flooded the stores with PC products, we rarely shop there now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
CedricT wrote: What's the 5 off 25 survey coupon?
It's the line item that shows up as GWP (Gift with Purchase) on your receipt. After your bill's total, there is a survey contact number or website to use to discuss your shopping experience and you get a code to put that $5 coupon to use. That coupon usually has a date range corresponding with the following week if you just shopped on the weekend, for example.
Have new cookbooks but am not cooking anything new yet.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2749 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
If anyone has any doubts that the Optimum program is getting devalued , have a look at this weeks flyer !!

"Get 18,500 Shoppers Optimum Bonus points When You spend $100.00 or more ............."

WTF, the typical bonus offer not too long ago was 18,500 WUS $75.00 !

I guess they still don't realize that their overpriced merchandise only makes sense when the really good
Optimum offers are taken into consideration !

Personally , I haven't spent a dime in any Shoppers store for over 2 months, coincidental with the introduction
of these crappy Optimum offers !
Jun 14, 2012
412 posts
36 upvotes
Offers are usually bad in fall anyway. esp in december. I only shop for some things at SDM they are very expensive and gouge the consumer to much(ie $10 item being 18 bucks) it's more of a last resort or if they have a good sale/clearance.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2749 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
Let this be my official notice that I have tentatively resigned my position as a Shoppers shopper !

"After several years of almost voluntary service, I feel that need to explore other worthwhile
and rewarding opportunities "

Last thing the new owners should have done is screw around with a very successful loyalty rewards program.
I am tossing them into the same if and when bucket as Air Miles !

IF the right offer comes along !
WHEN it is absolutely necessary