Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket

shopping for menonite furnitures

Does anyone know how and where to buy them at a good price, perhaps a store that sells at a decent price, direct source who sells them without a middle man or even a market or something where they sell their own products.

Preferably I am looking for someone within driving distance from GTA.

Any info regarding it would be appreciated.

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
60 upvotes
Mississauga
Go to St. Jacobs which is North of Waterloo.

Thats your best bet.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
Scott84 wrote: Go to St. Jacobs which is North of Waterloo.

Thats your best bet.
Yes, was thinking aboutit but before I go I hope to get some good leads, after all amish/mennonite is a bit of a buzz word in furnitures so I am sure the term may be streched a bit, and some shops produce better quality than others.

There is a store close to where we are, they are offering life time warranty on the furnintures they sell (for it's construction), so that's a good start, just want to see what else is out there and if any less expensive sources ara available.

Was hoping other members would have some info to share.
Sep 10, 2004
525 posts
91 upvotes
Richmond Hill
For what it's worth, a couple of my neighbours have bought furniture from Lloyd's Mennonite Furniture in Bradford and, as far as I know, they are happy with their purchases.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
We purchased our coffee table from a shop in Heidelberg, ontario. It's less than 10Km away from St Jacobs. Nice small shop. They have examples of many of the styles. I think they often sell the floor models at reduced cost but usually you go in and order a specific piece and they get the guy to build it. We were extremely happy with the service of the store and the construction of the table.

From my limited experience, the southenr ontario mennonite furniture building community is pretty consistent with it's prices. I'd be afraid of some place that seemed significantly cheaper.
Nov 23, 2011
10 posts
Cambridge
You want real mennonite funiture, used by mennonites? If you have nothing better to do head over to Wallenstein, small mainly mennonite village near Elmira and check out an auction. You never know whats in store, food is great, sometimes great deals, meet some real mennonites.
http://theauctionadvertiser.com/cgi-bin ... 1=52009473
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
Kevinck wrote: We purchased our coffee table from a shop in Heidelberg, ontario. It's less than 10Km away from St Jacobs. Nice small shop. They have examples of many of the styles. I think they often sell the floor models at reduced cost but usually you go in and order a specific piece and they get the guy to build it. We were extremely happy with the service of the store and the construction of the table.

From my limited experience, the southenr ontario mennonite furniture building community is pretty consistent with it's prices. I'd be afraid of some place that seemed significantly cheaper.
Would you recall the name of that store?

While I want to get the best possible price I do not want to buy furniture made in china assembled with a supervision of Amish employee ;- ), apparently at time such furnitures fall under Amish furnitures ;-)
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
atticus84 wrote: You want real mennonite funiture, used by mennonites?[/url]
Actually I don't want them to be used by mennonites, was thinking about new, but I gather used is not out of the question ;-)

To be honest the furniture doesn't actually have to be made by them, I am most concerned about the quality and not necessarily who makes them, however mennonites seem to have develped a huge name for themselves.

Taking a drive up is not a bad idea, something to do during a summer weekend, thanks for the suggestion.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Homerhomer wrote: Would you recall the name of that store?

While I want to get the best possible price I do not want to buy furniture made in china assembled with a supervision of Amish employee ;- ), apparently at time such furnitures fall under Amish furnitures ;-)

Found it. The building is hard to forget. They said that all their furniture is made by 'local capenters'. We didn't care if it was 'real mennonites' or anything so didn't question any further. But you can see from the stuff in the store that the quality was great. Price was in line with all other research we'd done. And we've been happy ever since.

http://g.co/maps/fyru6

D&D Solid Oak & Pine Furniture
3585 Lobsinger Lane, St Clements
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
JonJubeTube wrote: Brice's isn't bad and they are on Woodbine, not too far from Newmarket.
Yes, went there last week, very nice furnitures, but not knowing what the store mark up is I am trying to find if something comparable can be had from other sources.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
Update, we have purchased one small piece of furniture from Brice, it was a floor model on sale and I think the price was decent.
We are now shopping for dining room set and the "regular sale" price at Brice is out of my reach, we will be taking a drive west shortly to see some stores suggested here and others, and while I am on the topic does anyone have experience with
http://mobelhaus.ca/
Some of their online prices look decent, but I wasn't able to find any reviews or anything about this company.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
Kevinck wrote: Found it. The building is hard to forget. They said that all their furniture is made by 'local capenters'. We didn't care if it was 'real mennonites' or anything so didn't question any further. But you can see from the stuff in the store that the quality was great. Price was in line with all other research we'd done. And we've been happy ever since.

http://g.co/maps/fyru6

D&D Solid Oak & Pine Furniture
3585 Lobsinger Lane, St Clements
Thanks for your help ;-)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)