• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2017 2:30 pm
[OP]
Feb 9, 2015
28 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Shopping in the States

I will be visiting the US soon, is there anything that I should buy which is cheaper or only available in the States instead of Canada? Crying Face
27 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1036 posts
51 upvotes
Beamsville
Taking a day trip? flying driving?
Dec 6, 2012
123 posts
31 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Obviously alcohol in the duty free area/store (if you stay 48+ hours). Last week I bought a 1L Malibu for US$15 no tax, compared to CA$24 for a 750mL here.

Else you can check stores that we do not have in Canada like TJMaxx, Macys, Kohls, or even some kmart, big lots, family dollar, dollar tree, etc maybe you can find something :)
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
1712 posts
640 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Itsasony wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 4:39 pm
I will be visiting the US soon, is there anything that I should buy which is cheaper or only available in the States instead of Canada? Crying Face
Thank goodness there's yet another thread started asking the exact same question as the many other threads that are began every week.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17284 posts
4166 upvotes
Magister wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 8:47 am
Obviously alcohol in the duty free area/store (if you stay 48+ hours). Last week I bought a 1L Malibu for US$15 no tax, compared to CA$24 for a 750mL here.
That's only if you limit it to one bottle.
Once you cross the duty free limit, it gets REALLY expensive.
ALLCAPS wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:54 am
Thank goodness there's yet another thread started asking the exact same question as the many other threads that are began every week.
What? You don't want to compile a list of absolutely everything that's cheaper in the US?
There's only like a billion things for sale. Shouldn't take any time at all.
Dec 6, 2012
123 posts
31 upvotes
Montréal, QC
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 12:42 pm
That's only if you limit it to one bottle.
Once you cross the duty free limit, it gets REALLY expensive.
Of course, but know your limit, something like $20 dairy product, 24 eggs(no more?), no strawberries, 2 wine bottles, etc. You can find this info everywhere on the net, canada custom site, and I'm sure on RFD as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17284 posts
4166 upvotes
Do they actually care that much about everything but liquor and tobacco though?
Assuming nothing is prohibited (strawberries?) I don't think I've ever been billed for any grocery items that are of a reasonable retail (but over limit) quantity.

Then again... I saw someone in the office tossing their citrus because they were busted for it so maybe they do care about groceries.
Jul 23, 2015
203 posts
70 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Trader Joe's. Wegmans.

There are tons of vegan products they have in the US that we can't get here.

Just Mayo, Wegmans meat substitute, lightly fe products. Mmmmm
Jan 9, 2011
352 posts
126 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 12:14 am
Do they actually care that much about everything but liquor and tobacco though?
Assuming nothing is prohibited (strawberries?) I don't think I've ever been billed for any grocery items that are of a reasonable retail (but over limit) quantity.

Then again... I saw someone in the office tossing their citrus because they were busted for it so maybe they do care about groceries.
They definitely care about fruit. Never buy fruit with the intention of bringing it back.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5043 posts
943 upvotes
I was in Sams Club in Niagara Falls NY yesterday - fresh not frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts were $1.59 USD per pound if you buy a case.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10089 posts
1261 upvotes
Toronto
If visiting Western New York, stock up on Loganberry Juice! YUM!
Dec 6, 2012
123 posts
31 upvotes
Montréal, QC
JIF peanut butter is good too, you can find it in any grocery store or WM there.
Mar 11, 2017
40 posts
15 upvotes
go to 5 and below... they have a little bit of everything. graphic shirts are $5, they have a ton of cell phone cases, chargers, cables, headphones and mounts. sports and games, toys, books and junk food. also hit ollie's it's a sort of liquidation store and has lots... if you are into physical media like dvd/blu ray and video games hit the family video as they clear out stuff about a month or two old for $9-$12 each.

those are some good places to hit and they are all close to each other and near the intersection of military rd and niagara falls blvd.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel