Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1277 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…

Short-dated dairy stories

To those of you who dump dairy when t gets to the BB date, think again.

Went to SDM a few weeks ago and found they were selling 4 l of skim milk (my wife drinks the stuff, I don't) for $0.99 with ~3 days to go. We fully expected it to go off so I was dreaming of cheese and bread recipes. Come 1 week after the BB date, she finished it. She has a much more sensitive nose than I do and the milk definitely was not off (must have been rich in lactose so the sugars still had not been consumer by enzymes).

A local grocery was blowing out a lot of short-dated cream: Pint cartons (473ml?) for $0.99. Was inspired by something I read about not buying mascarpone cheese but making it with cream. Never mind the BB date, just heat it up to a gentle boil, add some acid (lemon juice of vinegar), strain it through cheese cloth and you have a lot more mascarpone for a lot less than what you'd normally pay. A delicious rum-soaked raisin dessert lightened by folding in whipped cream is what I did with it.

You can make paneer with milk that's not low fat (my next project when I see milk cheap - did that with milk that went sour a coupe of years ago).

Have to make bread with the whey now.

I still have Liberté yogurt dated to early December. Like fine wine, it gets better with time.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5264 posts
539 upvotes
Who throws out perfectly good daily products just because the BB date comes and goes? Isn't it common knowledge that BB date isn't the same as expiry date? Most people don't have sophisticated enough palates to detect that a BB date has come.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1277 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
amz155 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 5:58 pm
Who throws out perfectly good daily products just because the BB date comes and goes? Isn't it common knowledge that BB date isn't the same as expiry date? Most people don't have sophisticated enough palates to detect that a BB date has come.
A lot of people do apparently. Think there was a thread here about this a few weeks ago.

It's not so bad here but I think seem to remember that in some places in the past, the stuff would actually go bad (sour) right after the expiration date. I think it was in the U.S.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4769 posts
1710 upvotes
I bought some Western cream cheese that was short dated and it as literally sour 4 days past the expiry date, which surprised me. What do you do with sour cream cheese? I threw it out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1277 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
lecale wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:27 pm
I bought some Western cream cheese that was short dated and it as literally sour 4 days past the expiry date, which surprised me. What do you do with sour cream cheese? I threw it out.
Pleasantly sour or unpleasantly? If the latter, I'd wonder if it had been left unrefrigerated for any length of time. Personally, Id use it for cooking or some savoury filling unless it was unpleasantly sour.

I've certainly bought close-dated cream cheese (Kraft in the last round, on sale and further marked down to 99¢ at SDM) to store and didn't use it until 1-2 months past the best-by.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4769 posts
1710 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 2:52 pm
Pleasantly sour or unpleasantly? If the latter, I'd wonder if it had been left unrefrigerated for any length of time. Personally, Id use it for cooking or some savoury filling unless it was unpleasantly sour.

I've certainly bought close-dated cream cheese (Kraft in the last round, on sale and further marked down to 99¢ at SDM) to store and didn't use it until 1-2 months past the best-by.
Pleasantly, but a bit sharper than sour cream. It was the "light" product, 15% milk fat which i am sure had something to do with it. (Philly is 31% M.F.) With milk, it probably could have approximated sour cream in something, but I could only think stroganoff and I was so not into it at the time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1277 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
lecale wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:25 pm
Pleasantly, but a bit sharper than sour cream. It was the "light" product, 15% milk fat which i am sure had something to do with it. (Philly is 31% M.F.) With milk, it probably could have approximated sour cream in something, but I could only think stroganoff and I was so not into it at the time.
I've never bought the "lite" stuff so don't know what it tastest like normally, or the texture. I guess the non-fat part soured and no fat to absorb it. I don't know. I think you could have used it for baked potato topping or make twice-baked potatoes.

I'm making stroganoff tonight from the tenderloin I bought before the new year (RCSS deal with 15k PCO pts and 20% back personal offer). Already made 2 Chinese stir-frys, pepper steak and steak & eggs from it. Calls for sour cream (have some left, opened and close to 3 weeks old) but I use heavy yogurt as a substitute.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4769 posts
1710 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:37 pm
I've never bought the "lite" stuff so don't know what it tastest like normally, or the texture. I guess the non-fat part soured and no fat to absorb it. I don't know. I think you could have used it for baked potato topping or make twice-baked potatoes.

I'm making stroganoff tonight from the tenderloin I bought before the new year (RCSS deal with 15k PCO pts and 20% back personal offer). Already made 2 Chinese stir-frys, pepper steak and steak & eggs from it. Calls for sour cream (have some left, opened and close to 3 weeks old) but I use heavy yogurt as a substitute.
I only bought "lite" because it was 50% off so it was a burn that is went sour so quickly, but I totally could have done the twice-baked potatoes thing, sob.

I once grabbed a 5L pail of expired-that-day sour cream for a buck and just by wiping down the exposed part of the pail with 10% cleaning vinegar to prevent anything evil from uprising I was able to keep it for 3 months. I made a quite a few sour cream custard pies because it calls for the most sour cream out of anything I could think of. A bit of almond extract and rose water, or some sauteed rhubarb, and they are very exotic.

Because of my buddy we have sour cream more often than yogurt, but by my estimation as long as you've got at least 4% M.F., yogurt is sweet enough to sub for sour cream.

Love those PCO deals. How did you break down/freeze the tenderloin? I was considering 2lb chunks done first as roasts and then re-purposed as necessary.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1277 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
The 6% M.F. Astro Balkan yogurt is the lowest I'll go ($1.67/650-750ml container at the lowest price). The 3% doesn't do it.

What does sour cream pie even taste like? I'll have to try it if I find some cheap.
lecale wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:16 pm
How did you break down/freeze the tenderloin? I was considering 2lb chunks done first as roasts and then re-purposed as necessary.
It was a whole tenderloin in bag with a BB of after mid January. I only opened it last week and it'll last a week easy w/o freezing.

Currently have pork, beef, lamb PCO offers on the go - wife has poultry and something else. Had to let the veal offer go because there hasn't been any at the RCSS in weeks. I got some marked-down scallopini pieces and chunks which made very good schnitzel and goulash respectively (my wife is Austrian).
Sep 21, 2017
89 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
At least the product got used. When I used to work at Whole foods we would throw out any diary products like 2-3 days before the best before date regardless if they were spoiled. They also had a policy to not discount things even if people would buy it at 50% off, something about not wanting to seem like a poor people store or something.

I also remember having a lot of problems with air circulation in the cooler and once a bunch of milk froze. So I got the fun job of dumping 16 crates of frozen grass fed milk in glass bottles in the dumpster along with all the other returns and half eaten yogurts that people would leave on the shelf. There is so much waste in grocery stores. So it's good to use what you can.

Personally I have a weak stomach and if milk is even slightly expired I just can't even look at it. But many people do believe the date is like a timer and after that day it's rotten, which is obviously dumb.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6653 posts
1334 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:16 pm

I once grabbed a 5L pail of expired-that-day sour cream for a buck and just by wiping down the exposed part of the pail with 10% cleaning vinegar to prevent anything evil from uprising I was able to keep it for 3 months. I made a quite a few sour cream custard pies because it calls for the most sour cream out of anything I could think of. A bit of almond extract and rose water, or some sauteed rhubarb, and they are very exotic.
Sour cream custard rhubarb pir and sour cream raisin pie. 2 favourites. Also sour cream custard with whole sour cherries. Sour cream raspberry, topped with toasted bread crumbs.
Nov 22, 2014
61 posts
75 upvotes
Halifax, NS
I've used up past-its-date garlic and herb flavoured cream cheese in mashed potatoes, as well as in savoury biscuits. You could do the same with sour cream. There are a few bean soup recipes that are improved with sour cream stirred in.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18163 posts
4744 upvotes
I regularly use month old cream and milk.

Hell if it's still sealed (I don't use much milk) I regularly use weeks past milk to make cheese.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5852 posts
1385 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 4:15 pm
I regularly use month old cream and milk.

Hell if it's still sealed (I don't use much milk) I regularly use weeks past milk to make cheese.
I used 4 month past dated whipping cream with no issues. I think I used 6 month old cream cheese too (this was unopened).

Lot of "food police" stuff out there which is not true. Yogurt is periodically short dated and sold at Asian grocers sitting in the aisle. No issues there considering Yogurt is made with warmed up milk. Similarly Kefir is made with milk at room temp. If anything, the yogurt/kefir will just be a bit more sour than usual.

A lot of dairy related stuff is UHT (Ultra High Temp stable). Smell test is the way to go.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18163 posts
4744 upvotes
Especially if it's sealed.
Once it's opened though all bets are off.

One other reason I buy 4L of Yogurt and vacuum pack it into 4x 1L bags.