• Nov 1st, 2015 3:06 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes

Short HDMI Cable

Anyone know where I can find shorter hdmi cables...looking to purchase in store just incase I change my mind and want to return...thx
14 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
Just go the dollar store and get one for a couple of bucks. If you don't like it, just trash it because it would be cheaper to do so than to waste time and resources doing a return.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6144 posts
3613 upvotes
Toronto
kenvin100 wrote: Anyone know where I can find shorter hdmi cables...looking to purchase in store just incase I change my mind and want to return...thx
What do you consider "shorter"?
You didn't provide a location, so it is hard to recommend a store.
Online I'd say http://www.infinitecables.com/mon_hdmi.html#140 they have 1.5' and up for $2.30 and up.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6144 posts
3613 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote: If you don't like it, just trash it because it would be cheaper to do so than to waste time and resources doing a return.
I'd keep it for the same reasons. Guess that is why I'm a bit of a packrat.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
Dollarama: 3ft $2 /6ft $3
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought the 1.5 foot monoprice ones but they have that annoying ferrite core which isn't easy to remove, so I can't close up the flap behind my Dell monitor. They are also thick and don't bend much if you are trying to route the cables

Has anybody tried the Monoprice Ultra Slim cables?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6306 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Think you can remove them. They are usually two pieces that snap fit together over the cable.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes
EdT586 wrote: Dollarama: 3ft $2 /6ft $3
This comment it is. Looked online for shorter length cables and it's more than double the price of dollarama. Insane.

Maybe I'll go even cheaper and just tie-wrap the cables. The true RFD solution LOL

Thanks all :)
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
betamaxman wrote: Think you can remove them. They are usually two pieces that snap fit together over the cable.
I tried, if they do snap apart, I couldn't figure out how to unsnap them. Almost gouge out my finger trying to pry it. Maybe I should smash them with a hammer
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: I tried, if they do snap apart, I couldn't figure out how to unsnap them. Almost gouge out my finger trying to pry it. Maybe I should smash them with a hammer
The ones on the cable are molded onto the jacket insulation, just heat up the plastic on the ferrite with a soldering iron and remove the plastic casing, but there will be indentation marks on the jacket once you remove the ferrite.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6306 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
EdT586 wrote: The ones on the cable are molded onto the jacket insulation, just heat up the plastic on the ferrite with a soldering iron and remove the plastic casing, but there will be indentation marks on the jacket once you remove the ferrite.
Could be, but it doesn't appear to be.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: Could be, but it doesn't appear to be.
It's mostly these types of ferrite on these retail cables. There is really no need for ferrite on a HDMI cables as they use a twisted network type cable like CAT5E.
Ferrite are put on these cable for the simple reason to pass EU certification, once they see a ferrite these cables the EU will give them a pass, so I might not even be surprised if there is no ferrite in the casing !

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)