Travel

Short layover time in YYZ. Will I have problems?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2017 3:53 am
[OP]
Dec 26, 2015
250 posts
73 upvotes
Manitoba

Short layover time in YYZ. Will I have problems?

Flying to Gatwick (London) via WestJet next saturday.

Flying from Winnipeg (YWG) --> Toronto (YYZ)
90min layover
Toronto (YYZ) --> London (GTW)

Will I have any issues with only a 90 minute layover? From what I understand, my checked bags will be transferred straight to my following flight, so that should save me time. Any chances I'll have issues? I understand weather is unpredictable, but am I shooting myself in the foot with such a short layover?

Both flights are booked with WJ and I called them a few days ago to ask about switching to an earlier flight, but they said its not necessary.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1480 posts
788 upvotes
The positives...

No Customs to deal with
Same airline for both legs of your trip... This one is HUGE
Especially when doing a short turnover (recommended minimum I still beleve is 90 Minutes)
Means your luggage can be checked thru, and has a higher chance of making the 2nd flight
And if you are delayed "higher chance" that the 2nd WestJet flight will wait for "one of their own"

For further info on connecting thru YYZ see Toronto Pearson's website:
https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#
May 7, 2017
290 posts
120 upvotes
you'd have a problem yesterday took 1hr to get through customs after collecting baggage.

But your fine. 45mins is min
[OP]
Dec 26, 2015
250 posts
73 upvotes
Manitoba
BeanFinn wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 7:56 pm
you'd have a problem yesterday took 1hr to get through customs after collecting baggage.

But your fine. 45mins is min
Thanks. Fortunately I wont have to go to baggage to collect. From what I've heard, going to international instead of US is supposedly quicker. thats what I've read online atleast, which you know, is never wrong
[OP]
Dec 26, 2015
250 posts
73 upvotes
Manitoba
PointsHubby wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 7:29 pm
The positives...

No Customs to deal with
Same airline for both legs of your trip... This one is HUGE
Especially when doing a short turnover (recommended minimum I still beleve is 90 Minutes)
Means your luggage can be checked thru, and has a higher chance of making the 2nd flight
And if you are delayed "higher chance" that the 2nd WestJet flight will wait for "one of their own"

For further info on connecting thru YYZ see Toronto Pearson's website:
https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#
Thanks. I'll flip through the website. Just really hoping theres no hickups
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3348 posts
905 upvotes
Moncton
On outbound, a 90 minute connection at Pearson is plenty as you don't go through security. 15 minutes is probably the longest walk. If you stop to eat breakfast at Tim Hortons or stop to shop for a plug adapter you might arrive at the gate while they are already boarding, but that just means less time sitting. Even 30 minutes would be fine, giving you a 60 minute late plane buffer.

On the return to Canada, 90 minutes would be a bit more stressful. I had a 60 minute layover in Halifax (a small airport), but Canadian customs ate that up looking at my photos and emails and so I missed my connection. You have to go through security again.

Anything above a 4 hour connection you have to pay airport and security fees (as part of the ticket price).

One thing that really annoys me: people who think they need to arrive early for the domestic portion of the flight. Granted you don't want to miss that flight, but there is no extra paperwork.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
Veeshmack wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 6:38 pm
Flying to Gatwick (London) via WestJet next saturday.

Flying from Winnipeg (YWG) --> Toronto (YYZ)
90min layover
Toronto (YYZ) --> London (GTW)

Will I have any issues with only a 90 minute layover? From what I understand, my checked bags will be transferred straight to my following flight, so that should save me time. Any chances I'll have issues? I understand weather is unpredictable, but am I shooting myself in the foot with such a short layover?

Both flights are booked with WJ and I called them a few days ago to ask about switching to an earlier flight, but they said its not necessary.
90 minutes is not short. All you need to do is get off your flight and go to the gate for your flight to Gatwick.
The only think whit Pearson is you may have to get out of the secure area and then get back through security for international flights. I do not know why Pearson is like that a but is is a certain level of PIA that is unnecessary....so, make sure you don't have too much in your carry on :)
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5294 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Going to Gatwick there shouldn't be a problem as it's domestic from Winnipeg to Toronto. 90min is plentiful assuming no delays.

If it's the same itinerary on return though (90mn layover in Toronto from Gatwick), you'll have potential issues as you'll have to go through customs & immigration, and collect your luggage, all before you catch your Winnipeg bound flight.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Feb 11, 2009
880 posts
154 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 12:26 pm

The only think whit Pearson is you may have to get out of the secure area and then get back through security for international flights. I do not know why Pearson is like that a but is is a certain level of PIA that is unnecessary....so, make sure you don't have too much in your carry on :)
I don't think this is true. At terminal 3, the secured zone is the same for Canada and International departures.

Most international departures happen at the Hammerhead 'C' gates but sometimes they use 'B' gates. Domestic always uses B gates.

At worst your flight from Winnipeg will arrive at Satelittle concourse (Gates B1 to B5) and you'll have to take the underground tunnel (with moving walkway), and schlep over to C gates, but this can be done in 15 minutes.

Nov 24, 2009
353 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
As long as your flight is not delayed, 90mins is sufficent enough to catch flight because you don't need to go through custom/immigration and you'll probably be checking through your baggage to your final destination. But, I hope your return flight isn't that close. I flew to manila few years ago with AC twice in a month and I didn't pay attention to layover time in YYZ for return tickets when I bought them (I was in rush). Layover was about an hour. Unfortunately, it took me at least 1.5 hrs to go through immigration and collect my baggage. So, by the time I got to the AC desk, my flight was already left. And that happened on both trips.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
4seasonscentre wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 1:38 am
I don't think this is true. At terminal 3, the secured zone is the same for Canada and International departures.

Most international departures happen at the Hammerhead 'C' gates but sometimes they use 'B' gates. Domestic always uses B gates.

At worst your flight from Winnipeg will arrive at Satelittle concourse (Gates B1 to B5) and you'll have to take the underground tunnel (with moving walkway), and schlep over to C gates, but this can be done in 15 minutes.

Thanks for this but it seems every time we travel through Pearson for intentional departures (even coming back from international back to domestic), we somehow find ourselves outside of security. I pay attention each time, look for the arrows to connections and the next thing I know, I am out. I go slow, pay attention to the arrows and everything but then, I am out. I discuss this with others and th are in the same situation. Something is wrong, Don't know what but it is wrong.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Jul 21, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes
90 mins is fine for the outbound. I'd be more concerned with your return flight, if you are returning on Westjet to Toronto. They seem to have severe challenges getting their 767s to fly on sked. Not sure if that is still the case but last summer it was just horrendous.
Aug 16, 2010
254 posts
35 upvotes
Flew WJ last friday connecting in TO to Cancun. 2hr layover. Lots of time. We got to our connection gate after tim horton's stop, bathroom breaks, and still had 15-20 mins of waiting before they started boarding.

On monday flew back on AC. 75 min layover. Probably 55 mins to the connecting gate.
Aug 16, 2010
254 posts
35 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 10:57 am
Thanks for this but it seems every time we travel through Pearson for intentional departures (even coming back from international back to domestic), we somehow find ourselves outside of security. I pay attention each time, look for the arrows to connections and the next thing I know, I am out. I go slow, pay attention to the arrows and everything but then, I am out. I discuss this with others and th are in the same situation. Something is wrong, Don't know what but it is wrong.
Outbound I didn't see a choice but going out and coming back in through security(connecting with same airline) Maybe I got it wrong but I didn't see any way not to.

Inbound it could be easy to make the mistake. After luggage collection and passing the declaration card pickup point you exit sliding doors. There's the exit secure area doors right in front of you. So it is easy to walk out. But if don't go through second set and take a left it eventually gets you where you need to go without having to come back through security.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2015
250 posts
73 upvotes
Manitoba
Thanks everyone. Coming home I've got a lot more time so I'm not worried about it, just gonna hope for a smooth transition on my way out. Reassuring to hear everyone say I should be ok