• Oct 11th, 2017 9:08 am
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
273 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville

Shortbread cookie company?

Hi,

I was thinking of doing a shortbread cookie company and was wondering it feasible to do it?

Open to public, wholesale and online/ship across canada

Is it a profitable enough business?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8074 posts
2877 upvotes
Toronto
What's special about them that'll make you successful?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
273 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 7:33 pm
What's special about them that'll make you successful?
Going to do interesting flavours that uncommon with shortbread cookies like add tea flavours, espresso, cheese, fruits, veggies, and spices combo

The cookies can pair up with tea, coffee and wine beverages..great as a host/ess gift to pair with the beverage

Don’t know if I want to do this aspect as well which is to make desserts using shortbread cookie dough and sell it to the public like shortbread jam bars, tarts out of it... which means more production and more people to hire

I have tasted local shortbread cookies and blind taste to people I know and 95% of them liked my cookies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14164 posts
4629 upvotes
Personally I think that making just shortbread cookies (and even other shortbread based dessert items) is far too small of a market to support a physical location. I think you would be better off finding a following through farmer's markets / online before making the jump. If you cannot succeed at a farmer's market type atmosphere, you will find it very challenging to find success in a retail store.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
273 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
TrevorK wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 9:59 pm
Personally I think that making just shortbread cookies (and even other shortbread based dessert items) is far too small of a market to support a physical location. I think you would be better off finding a following through farmer's markets / online before making the jump. If you cannot succeed at a farmer's market type atmosphere, you will find it very challenging to find success in a retail store.
if i don't do it in a retail store .... am i allow to make the cookies at home and sell them online and farmer markets or do i have to find cheap commercial space that is not a retail storefront
Aug 10, 2017
43 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga
toshibaaa wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 10:58 pm
if i don't do it in a retail store .... am i allow to make the cookies at home and sell them online and farmer markets or do i have to find cheap commercial space that is not a retail storefront
This site may answer your questions;
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/foo ... t-opt3.htm
and this;
http://www.farmersmarketsontario.com/Do ... 0Guide.pdf
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
273 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
pean42 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 4:23 pm
This site may answer your questions;
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/foo ... t-opt3.htm
and this;
http://www.farmersmarketsontario.com/Do ... 0Guide.pdf
Seem like I can make the cookies at home and sell them at the farmers market

Doesn’t show that I need to have a food safety permit on the kitchen but a vendor permit to sell things, but at least read up on food safety. My cookies will packaged in a sealed plastic bag and put it in a box at home and sell them by the box. So there is no cross contamination at all between handling money or outside stuff and direct contact on the cookies
Nov 8, 2006
561 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
toshibaaa wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 8:35 pm
I have tasted local shortbread cookies and blind taste to people I know and 95% of them liked my cookies
Just reading through, your 95% positive feedback, what is the sample size? Does your audience know they are testing a product? Are they friends giving you a good feedback?

Start with a branding, and package into cute boxes. Start small, giving them as gifts and include your business card. See if you get any call backs.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4800 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
I like your idea, likely even more if I tried them.

I just think to execute this it might be better to go to trade shows and try to sell to cafes first.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
273 posts
13 upvotes
Oakville
marketb wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 9:00 pm
Just reading through, your 95% positive feedback, what is the sample size? Does your audience know they are testing a product? Are they friends giving you a good feedback?

Start with a branding, and package into cute boxes. Start small, giving them as gifts and include your business card. See if you get any call backs.

Good luck!
the uncooked size is 1/4 inch thick and 1.75" inches diameter so when it baked, it will expand a bit obviously

yes my family and friends know they are tasting a product but they don't know which one is mine so I'm getting unbiased opinions where majority of them liked mine

I thought of using my full name and have a subtitle of either "shortbread company" or "shortbread co." below it ... I got a buddy who did a graphic designer that did my logo and name.

I was thinking of putting like 15 shortbread cookies in a sealed plastic bag and put it in a box and sell them for like $7.50 each
No Frills wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 9:09 pm
I like your idea, likely even more if I tried them.

I just think to execute this it might be better to go to trade shows and try to sell to cafes first.
thanks... lol

I'm thinking of doing it at the Milton farmer market in January and see the results if people like it or not ... cafes are ok to sell it to them? knowing my cookies aren't made in a commercialize kitchen