Fashion & Apparel

Shortening arms of down jacket

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2017 11:23 am
[OP]
Dec 11, 2016
2 posts

Shortening arms of down jacket

I recently bought a Mackage Dixon Bomber thats perfectly fitted except the arms. Its about an inch or an inch and a half too long. The elastic cuffs end in my hand as opposed to my wrists. Has anyone had a tailor shorten their down jacket here? If you know a tailor please let me know.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1305 posts
203 upvotes
Never had it done, but an inch and a half is not that big of a difference. For a bomber jacket especially I'm sure it's not noticeable. You can't just pull up the sleeves past your wrist?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6749 posts
971 upvotes
^That is what most people would do... plus, altering will voids the lifetime warranty, too.

OP, do a search on tailor in your area here if you still want to go ahead, can't recommend if people don't know where you are ,too.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Dec 11, 2016
2 posts
I was pulling the sleeves past my wrist but the top part of the arm becomes kind of bunched up. Also I'm from Mississauga but I don't mind travelling around the GTA for alterations.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
8937 posts
323 upvotes
Mississauga
Can be done. Might need to be done from the shoulder or the cuff depending on the cuff and how its sown. Used to work for Saks and we had people do alts on CG. jackets all the time
RFD 36-0-0
Ebay 20-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1215 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
I'd love to have OP's problem. I have a hard time finding long enough sleeves plus I like having the extra length in winter to pull over my hands. I would not do the alteration but it is definitely do-able at any decent tailor or seamstress.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10012 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
OP will be happy for that extra 1.5" when it's -30C out. You can snug your fists inside which creates a thermal environment for your hands. Also if you wear gloves with thin cuffs the cuff of the jacket can go over top preventing cold air leakage. Show us a pic of what you look like with the jacket on. At least from the shoulder on down to hands. I dont believe it's that big of a deal.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING