• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2009 12:47 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 23, 2009
408 posts
1 upvote

Shortening Raw Denim Jeans and another question

Hey everyone, I'm in the U.S right now typing from my phone on Wifi so sorry if my message appears messed up. I was at Woodbury Commons yesterday (great deals) and bought a pair of G-Star raw denim original slim fit jeans for $65USD. They're the ones without the knee pad design and have yellow stitching. The problem is they're too long and I don't like to stack them. Is there any good places you guys recommend I should go to in Toronto once I come back? I hear it's more complicated to hem raw denim jeans and that you should soak them before doing this. Can anyone explain that? I also have a pair of Energie jeans I bought in Vaughan Mills 3 months ago and suddenly I have a hole in the inner upper tigh region which has forced me to stop wearing them for the fear of it getting bigger. Is there anyone that can fix this problem, because I don't feel at ease throwing there jeans away. Thanks for all your help guys!
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6365 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
ALBGunner04 wrote: Hey everyone, I'm in the U.S right now typing from my phone on Wifi so sorry if my message appears messed up. I was at Woodbury Commons yesterday (great deals) and bought a pair of G-Star raw denim original slim fit jeans for $65USD. They're the ones without the knee pad design and have yellow stitching. The problem is they're too long and I don't like to stack them. Is there any good places you guys recommend I should go to in Toronto once I come back? I hear it's more complicated to hem raw denim jeans and that you should soak them before doing this. Can anyone explain that? I also have a pair of Energie jeans I bought in Vaughan Mills 3 months ago and suddenly I have a hole in the inner upper tigh region which has forced me to stop wearing them for the fear of it getting bigger. Is there anyone that can fix this problem, because I don't feel at ease throwing there jeans away. Thanks for all your help guys!
You can get them hemmed at pretty much any tailor. Its a simple procedure. It doesn't matter if they are raw. Some people prefer chain stitching and at the moment the only place that did it was Sydneys and they no longer do it. You only do a pre soak if they are unsanforized (meaning they will shrink a lot). Whether or not your particular pair is or isn't... I'm not too sure since I'm not familiar with them. Sanforized jeans don't really shrink so you don't need to soak them before you wear/hem them. As for your other jeans... most places can patch it up for you.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
3133 posts
16 upvotes
Does anybody know the benefits of chain stitching?
Wealth Is Of The Heart And Mind, Not The Pocket
Jul 23, 2009
408 posts
1 upvote
Havo wrote: You can get them hemmed at pretty much any tailor. Its a simple procedure. It doesn't matter if they are raw. Some people prefer chain stitching and at the moment the only place that did it was Sydneys and they no longer do it. You only do a pre soak if they are unsanforized (meaning they will shrink a lot). Whether or not your particular pair is or isn't... I'm not too sure since I'm not familiar with them. Sanforized jeans don't really shrink so you don't need to soak them before you wear/hem them. As for your other jeans... most places can patch it up for you.
Thanks for the help :) I looked on the internet and apparently, G-Star jeans are sanforized, so I'm good there. I was wondering though, should I get the original hem? Will it look better if I do get the original hem? (These jeans have a straight slim style)
Oct 12, 2008
167 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Cruel_Angel wrote: Does anybody know the benefits of chain stitching?
There arent any "real" benefits. It looks better if you cuff your jeans and its the method they used to use to stitch before lock stitching but it is more likely to unravel (weaker)

edit: it also fades slightly differently if your jeans are raw
Jun 3, 2007
279 posts
Toronto
Chainstitching is just for real denim heads. It doesn't hold any better but it gives you the 'roping' effect on the bottom of your jeans. I don't really care either way, personally.
Jul 19, 2003
778 posts
106 upvotes
Markham
I don't think G-star makes raw denim despite their name.
Jul 23, 2009
408 posts
1 upvote
morpheiz wrote: I don't think G-star makes raw denim despite their name.
Well, on the tag it says "Color: Raw" and the lady selling it to me told me it was raw denim. Not to mention I have a couple of friends who have Nudies, Naked & Famous, and other raw denim jeans and these resemble theirs. I really don't see how a company can put Raw Denim in their name without selling the actual product.
Oct 12, 2008
167 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
G-Star and Diesel too I think used to sell "Raw washed" jeans that were not raw. Not sure if they still do this. If you want to know for sure just scratch the jeans with your finger nail. If blue rubs off, then they are probably unwashed.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6365 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
super_paws wrote: If you want chainstitching, go to Blue in Green in SOHO.. Sydney's machine in Toronto is down until the new year.
I don't think a lot of people are going to go through all of the trouble to have it done in NY.
Jul 19, 2003
778 posts
106 upvotes
Markham
ALBGunner04 wrote: Well, on the tag it says "Color: Raw" and the lady selling it to me told me it was raw denim. Not to mention I have a couple of friends who have Nudies, Naked & Famous, and other raw denim jeans and these resemble theirs. I really don't see how a company can put Raw Denim in their name without selling the actual product.
I could be wrong. If it looks and feels like raw denim then it could be and not just dark indigo dye. It's just that I've never seen G-star Raw put out raw denim before in their recent collections.