• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2017 2:51 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2014
498 posts
120 upvotes
Manitoba

Should a 5 month pregnant woman PAINT?

Can a pregnant woman paint a single bedroom? Should we be concerned about the fumes odour / it may have health risks for the baby ?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3656 posts
1109 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't use oil based paints and I'd be cautious using ladders, but otherwise, sure ... just keep the room well ventilated.
Oct 15, 2008
106 posts
32 upvotes
Windsor
First off, good luck telling a pregnant woman she can't do something. :) It depends on the paint being used and the VOCs. Determine the type of paint and look up the MSDS and/or consumer recommendations for it.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4977 posts
2478 upvotes
Edmonton
Yeah, use one of the zero VOC paints, keep the area well ventilated, and wash your hands of it...

C
[OP]
Aug 21, 2014
498 posts
120 upvotes
Manitoba
Thanks for the comments. She has yet to decide on brand but was contemplating the Sherwin-Williams Harmony line, anti-microbial and no VOCs.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15157 posts
1109 upvotes
Thornhill
If you're unsure about it, why bother? It'll bug you for the rest of your life. When we were expecting, I painted a few rooms while my wife avoided the whole thing. We then went on a two week vacation the next day.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16295 posts
1751 upvotes
Langley
I wouldn't.

In fact, I don't even paint when I'm not pregnant. And since I'm a man, I'm always not pregnant.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9232 posts
3349 upvotes
Ottawa
jetsfan69 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 7:58 pm
Thanks for the comments. She has yet to decide on brand but was contemplating the Sherwin-Williams Harmony line, anti-microbial and no VOCs.
Why aren't you doing the painting? She's carrying that baby around solo for 9 months....
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
16387 posts
4997 upvotes
Ottawa
Cas77 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 9:26 am
Why aren't you doing the painting? She's carrying that baby around solo for 9 months....
Probably the same reason why my wife doesn't let me paint...shit gets messy realy quick.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5287 posts
666 upvotes
I built the bedroom for our second when my wife was 8 months pregnant. I primed it, she painted it. Two coats. Gave birth a couple weeks later. They are pregnant, not incapable of doing things.

I remember my wife 7+ months pregnant with our first doing the front gardens while I stood over the railings, beer in hand giving direction, lol. We got some odd looks by some passing neighbors, but oh well, she wouldn't let me do it.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15157 posts
1109 upvotes
Thornhill
^ sure, some are able to do it, some are able to take it. I would be very hesisitant to give health advice based on one experience alone.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5287 posts
666 upvotes
t3359 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2017 8:22 pm
^ sure, some are able to do it, some are able to take it. I would be very hesisitant to give health advice based on one experience alone.

bjl
Agreed, every pregnant woman will be different, but this is hardly health advice, we are talking about painting here.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3608 posts
1436 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I did everything like normal when I was expecting. The paint she is choosing won't be a problem. It isn't like pregnancy is a disability. I could do all the normal stuff right up to the end.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4977 posts
2478 upvotes
Edmonton
Chickinvic wrote:
Jul 25th, 2017 3:56 pm
I did everything like normal when I was expecting. The paint she is choosing won't be a problem. It isn't like pregnancy is a disability. I could do all the normal stuff right up to the end.
Minus the cigarettes and tequila shots? :)

C
Sep 16, 2006
671 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
Paint yes, paint with any trace whatsoever of VOC's (volatile organic compounds), absolutely not. Want to prevent any and all toxins from affecting the baby!

Cheers and congratulations.