Automotive

Should I bring a 2 seater sport car to my family?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2017 8:57 pm
[OP]
Jul 13, 2017
57 posts
16 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC

Should I bring a 2 seater sport car to my family?

I got a family of 3, the baby is just 8 month old. Now we have a 4 seat sedan as a daily family car, also a 5 seat SUV that's sitting on storage insurance.
Soon my wife will get her license, she will be driving the sedan. She is afraid of driving the SUV, even it is easier to load baby.
I don't like driving a SUV as it is bulky, heavy, stupidly tough on gas and no fun to drive at all.

So we both agree to trade in the SUV. The question is what to get.
I always wanted to get a sport car with manual transmission. I have checked out brz, miata and WRX. I prefer to get either BRZ or Miata, as it would be my primary commute car
Just wonder if a 2 seater + a 4 seater would do good for the family.

Anyone had tried out this??
94 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1129 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
What will happen if you get called To pick up said child from daycare? Will you detour to wife's work to pick up the sedan?
Typical car and law enforcement enthusiast
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5090 posts
724 upvotes
we have a 2 seater manual fun car and a toddler

as long as you don't need to pick up your child at last minutes notice ever i don't see why it's not feasible
Dec 10, 2007
242 posts
125 upvotes
Arviat
Just get a 4 dr GTI. Fun car, check.. room for baby and baby stuff, check.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
7916 posts
2049 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I wish I could fit a car seat in the rear of my 911. Sadly no rear seats.

OP: As sucky as the SUV is I wouldn't get rid of it and have a 4 seater sedan and a 2 seater car, that's just cray cray. We are a household of 3 as well (4 year old) and we have 3 cars. A 2 seater will never be a good daily car EVER.
Jul 14, 2002
934 posts
267 upvotes
DavidZ1118 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 9:05 pm
I got a family of 3, the baby is just 8 month old. Now we have a 4 seat sedan as a daily family car, also a 5 seat SUV that's sitting on storage insurance.
Soon my wife will get her license, she will be driving the sedan. She is afraid of driving the SUV, even it is easier to load baby.
I don't like driving a SUV as it is bulky, heavy, stupidly tough on gas and no fun to drive at all.

So we both agree to trade in the SUV. The question is what to get.
I always wanted to get a sport car with manual transmission. I have checked out brz, miata and WRX. I prefer to get either BRZ or Miata, as it would be my primary commute car
Just wonder if a 2 seater + a 4 seater would do good for the family.

Anyone had tried out this??
i guess i don't see why not, but did you ask us before you asked her?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3579 posts
632 upvotes
Alberta
When we were a family of 3, I got rid of my Mustang GT and got a Honda Odyssey. And soon after we were a family of 4. Best decision and vehicle we ever. So easy to get the car seats and kids in/out and an carry a ton of stuff, the strollers and everything they else when we went somewhere. Tons of room when the grandparents want to come along etc. But to each their own.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5481 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Another thing to note is that you ARE allowed to put a baby seat in the passenger seat of a two-seater
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5373 posts
1162 upvotes
A 2 seater is highly impractical. It's fine as an extra family fun vehicle and trips always have to be planned to ensure that a 3rd person will never require a ride.
I have a Miata (NB) - my wife and I are empty nesters - even when we visit our son in university (a 1.5 hr drive) we don't take the Miata as we can't take our son shopping or out to a restaurant (outside of walking distance from his abode).
We have 2 other family vehicles (Honda Odyssey and a Toyota RAV4 hybrid).
That being said, the Miata is one heck of a fun vehicle to drive.
Jan 19, 2007
606 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
DavidZ1118 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 9:05 pm
Well may be you don't have the right SUV....
A. from functional perspective bigger car can haul many and various bulky items.
B. Ignoring brands, engines, and interiors, I simply can't sit that low and on a long trips SUV safety and size makes such rides very comfortable.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14626 posts
3947 upvotes
Ottawa
I tired for a summer, but gave up and reserved my two door coupe for weekends only.
Not too bad, if your kid is a bit older and can jump into the carseat themselves and you just need to buckle them in.
Jul 8, 2017
9 posts
13 upvotes
Lol I don't get why every "needs" an SUV. My family raised 2 kids without one. A 4 door civic did just fine..
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
7916 posts
2049 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 8:11 am
When we were a family of 3, I got rid of my Mustang GT and got a Honda Odyssey. And soon after we were a family of 4. Best decision and vehicle we ever. So easy to get the car seats and kids in/out and an carry a ton of stuff, the strollers and everything they else when we went somewhere. Tons of room when the grandparents want to come along etc. But to each their own.
No suv can match the utility of a minivan. Minivan is the most practical when it comes down to it. That said I would never want one lol

CUV's are completely pointless. I don't even understand the point of it.