Automotive

Should I bring a 2 seater sport car to my family?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2017 8:57 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
B0000rt wrote: Have a Golf R MK6 and a 3rd gen RAV4, and with two car seats in the back of each car, the Golf has more width in the center seat then the RAV4, due to the odd seatbelt setup in the RAV. I suggest you bring the car seat when shopping for cars to see what actually fits and makes sense.

I'm not sure why a new driver is more afraid of driving the SUV, it's higher off the ground and gives you much more visibility over the whole road..
Depending on which urban soccermom vehicle it is, could be more blind spots and harder to maneuver around.

But best bet is WRX, GTI, or even Golf R if it's in your budget.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Dec 6, 2015
55 posts
27 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
YoungPostiefrom92 wrote: Lol I don't get why every "needs" an SUV. My family raised 2 kids without one. A 4 door civic did just fine..
And how else would the majority of Canadians haul their roly poly blubber guts covered in bacon grease nose-pickin spermlings around? Have you seen the size of some of these creatures waddling around?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
EP32k2 wrote: No suv can match the utility of a minivan. Minivan is the most practical when it comes down to it. That said I would never want one lol

CUV's are completely pointless. I don't even understand the point of it.
+1 CUV's are about showing off, not about practicality. If it were, they'd be driving minivans/wagons/hatches. CUV's are jacked up cars that are more likely to rollover and have worse visibility.
BeaverLiquor wrote: Depending on which urban soccermom vehicle it is, could be more blind spots and harder to maneuver around.

But best bet is WRX, GTI, or even Golf R if it's in your budget.
I hate driving SUVs. Too big, poor visibility, poor handling.

When we first had kids we had a BMW E46 coupe and a 1st gen MINI Clubman until our kid was 2. Both were super fun cars and we even did 1000KM trips in the MINI. I find it insane that people have SUV's but still need the Thule box on top! Thule is probably just another show off device that's never used.

Wife has migrated to a Q5 SUV (which I dislike) and I'm still driving my BMW. My kid loves riding in the back of it.

OP, I would suggest a BMW 5-seat coupe, hot-hatch (GTI, Focus ST, WRX, etc), Audi A5/S5.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
EP32k2 wrote: No suv can match the utility of a minivan. Minivan is the most practical when it comes down to it. That said I would never want one lol

CUV's are completely pointless. I don't even understand the point of it.
I believe the buick enclave and variants are the lnly ones.

Its an oddity... but the trunk is useful with the third row in place
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41800 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
UrbanPoet wrote: I believe the buick enclave and variants are the lnly ones.

Its an oddity... but the trunk is useful with the third row in place
You're going to have to go bigger with the Yukon.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
engineered wrote: I find it insane that people have SUV's but still need the Thule box on top! Thule is probably just another show off device that's never used.

Goes to show you don't ski. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
I don't think it is illegal to place car seat on front seat with SRS disabled but probably not good when highway driving.

Once toddler walks and climbs, a coupe is possible. I still drive our Accord coupe when I go out. I prefer to drive it over a RAV4 hybrid. 3 year old even wants to fasten her own seat belt.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Jul 16th, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: In Ontario yes. As long as the passenger airbag is disabled. My 911 automatically turns off the airbags and I put the seat all the way back. I think the airbag off is only a requirement if the seat is rear facing.
Had my wife do that during city driving but because there are no tethers to latch on too, I don't think it is super safe at highway speed. Regular seatbelt alone won't secure our evenflo car seats well.

Actually come to think of it, I had used front facing seat on the passenger side once our child was old enough but it was temporary as she asked for a SUV.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: In the back of a porsche 911

front passenger seat has to be rolled all the way forward...

So it becomes a 1+2
Good luck putting an infant/toddler into a rear racing in the back of a Porsche LOL. Especially if you're in a parking lot or parking garage, or garage.

OP I would get the WRX. Had a 2016, and it was pretty practical with a kid. Trunk was large for stroller and groceries. I wouldn't bother getting a 2 seater, unless you're 110% you'll never have to pick the kid up from daycare or any emergencies. Also its not practical putting a car seat in a 2-seater, since if you and your wife ever want to go out together, you'll have to move the car seat, and after a few times of installing/removing, it just becomes a pain in the ass. I'm assuming car seat at the front seat of a 2-seater can only be used with seat belts? Not with the latch system?
engineered wrote:

When we first had kids we had a BMW E46 coupe and a 1st gen MINI Clubman until our kid was 2. Both were super fun cars and we even did 1000KM trips in the MINI. I find it insane that people have SUV's but still need the Thule box on top! Thule is probably just another show off device that's never used.
SUV with cargo carriers on top are for people that do lost of camping/outdoor activities. Think about a full SUV with 6-7 people, need to put the luggage/crap somewhere other than trunk with stroller/portable crib etc...
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote: Had my wife do that during city driving but because there are no tethers to latch on too, I don't think it is super safe at highway speed. Regular seatbelt alone won't secure our evenflo car seats well.

Actually come to think of it, I had used front facing seat on the passenger side once our child was old enough but it was temporary as she asked for a SUV.
I did it too. Had my child seat front facing in the 370Z for a while. The SRS is disabled but I didn't trust it, because if I jiggled the seat with my arms, I could get SRS on light to come back on. Who knows what would happen in a real world accident. If there was an actual manual switch I would have felt better about it (like my MX-5 had).

I also read the laws carefully to make sure that I wasn't doing something illegal in Ontario. In the end the two seater was just a pain in the butt if the other car was in the shop or we had to change schedules. You tend to drive a lot slower once you get kid(s)....more people are depending on you. So a fast car that begs you to corner hard isn't as much of a priority as it used to be. Maybe if you lived near a track and could do it safely, it would make more sense.
aquariaguy wrote: I wouldn't bother getting a 2 seater, unless you're 110% you'll never have to pick the kid up from daycare or any emergencies. Also its not practical putting a car seat in a 2-seater, since if you and your wife ever want to go out together, you'll have to move the car seat, and after a few times of installing/removing, it just becomes a pain in the ass. I'm assuming car seat at the front seat of a 2-seater can only be used with seat belts? Not with the latch system?
Without the latch in the front seats, the child seat didn't feel all that secure in the 370Z sport seats. I could never get it tight enough
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
It's too bad the WRX isn't hatchback anymore. That removes a lot of its practicality. I had a 1st gen WRX hatch and that thing was so practical, I hauled a full sized treadmill home.

Subarus are super safe too. The structure of the frame has a ring shape reinforcement which is very strong for side impacts. Almost all subarus rate "good" for side impact.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
May 7, 2006
484 posts
277 upvotes
Ontario
The 911 can be a 2 + 2

Diono Radian RXT FTW
Images
  • 20170705_075430.jpg
  • 20170716_204823.jpg
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
jzmtl wrote: Goes to show you don't ski. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
I do ski and snowboard. Always carry my gear inside the car, but it's usually just 2 or 3 of us.
aquariaguy wrote: SUV with cargo carriers on top are for people that do lost of camping/outdoor activities. Think about a full SUV with 6-7 people, need to put the luggage/crap somewhere other than trunk with stroller/portable crib etc...
Most of those cars are driving with one person in the car year round for a few trips a year. Leaving the roof box on full time is just lazy and gets you poor mpg.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON
banban wrote: The 911 can be a 2 + 2

Diono Radian RXT FTW
That is very unsafe for those poor children whose heads would be smashed against the glass if in an accident.

Think about the safety of your new child with all these stupid drivers out there. They will NOT be as safe sitting in the back of a 2 seater. Find a fun to drive 4 door sedan with good crash ratings and rear side airbags.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
sixer wrote: That is very unsafe for those poor children whose heads would be smashed against the glass if in an accident.

Think about the safety of your new child with all these stupid drivers out there. They will NOT be as safe sitting in the back of a 2 seater. Find a fun to drive 4 door sedan with good crash ratings and rear side airbags.
The kids are completely encapsulated by the chair. How would they hit the glass?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3526 upvotes
sixer wrote: That is very unsafe for those poor children whose heads would be smashed against the glass if in an accident.

Kid's heads don't stick above the seats, the Radian RXT as a really high height and weight limit, good for most 5-8 years olds even.

Also, I'm not an engineer but I believe a 2 door has more rigidity than a 4 door car. Rear side airbags are not safe for kids, rear side curtains are that come down.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3526 upvotes
I know a family with a Scion TC coupe with kids aged 3 and 4 , old enough to hop in. Some coupes have roomy backseats made for 2, not necessarily for 3.

Shop with car seats in hand, or look online for examples and experiences.

Although you could to a two seater with airbags disabled....i could imagine the biggest danger is driver distraction! Unless your little one can snooze on command...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41800 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
bhrm wrote: Kid's heads don't stick above the seats, the Radian RXT as a really high height and weight limit, good for most 5-8 years olds even.

Also, I'm not an engineer but I believe a 2 door has more rigidity than a 4 door car. Rear side airbags are not safe for kids, rear side curtains are that come down.
+1 for Diono, as their car seats are currently the only type compatible with vehicles; equipped with inflatable seatbelts.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill

What an idiotic post. Clearly you have never been inside a 911. Hell Porsche years ago even had a commercial that showed the 911 being used as a daily car for the family.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
The 911 looks pretty safe to me with the child seats. It's an adult who would be screwed if they are sitting in the back (assuming they are amputated at the legs already to fit into the back)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)