Sports & Recreation

Should I buy a boat?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2017 12:11 pm
Tags:
Sep 1, 2017
1 posts
I am thinking the same as you, but possibly a longer boat and not sure in sail or power. I bought an awesome cottage a few years ago and sold it as I was the only one in the family that used it, along with Sailor Jerry ;-) . So now I'm looking into it but would like to start off cheap or "intro boat" to see if it's for me.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
Vi20161128 wrote: Actually I would like to buy a cottage, but I cannot afford one, so I am starting to consider buying a boat. Something not big - maybe about 26 feet that could be towed to different lakes if there is a need, but most likely I will keep in the same marina every year. I am considering boats that would let sleep my family - like MacGregor 26 (Tattoo). Idea is - I would have it docked in some marina that is up to 1hr drive from my home. I would go there just like you go to cottage, do some boating and fishing and then sleep in it for the weekend and be back home for work days.
I investigated, and I believe that I would have to pay about:
- Docking/mooring marina fees - about 3000$/year
- Winterizing, storeage - about 1500$/year
- Insurance - about 500$/year
- Maintenance - about 10% of boat value, so on 50k boat that would be 5000$/year
So basically I would pay about 10,000$/year

Has anyone done/doing this?
What would be the issues with such setup?
Are my calculations for expenses accurate enough?
Boats and cottages both have there good points and bad points. Just remember cottages can be used all year or if only a seasonal cottage March to October. Being on a boat in march and October in bad weather not fun.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Is it easy sleeping on a boat? I'm not a light sleeper by any means and sleep through most things, but on water, I just don't know. I get that (assume) the waters are calmer at night at the dock, but it still moves.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
In a marina, movement is negligible. But when there's any kind of wind, every sailboat becomes a bell!

The slapping of the halyards against the hollow aluminum mast makes a ringing sound. DING DING DING DING DING....

It's like trying to sleep amidst 50 alarm clocks, all going off at once. :)
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1331 posts
1060 upvotes
Hamilton
makaturing wrote: You are absolutely right, a MacGregor is NOT a regular sailboat, it is very much a compromise boat, and most sailors would tell you it's a piece of junk. I would expect anyone considering buying one to be an experienced sailor with a very specific need for trailerability, which is the only reason people buy these things.
Seafaring snobbery!

This must be a first on this site!
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
shwab wrote: This must be a first on this site!
The great thing about this site is that purse carrying males such as yourself are still allowed to express an opinion about topics of which they know absolutely nothing. ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1331 posts
1060 upvotes
Hamilton
makaturing wrote: The great thing about this site is that purse carrying males such as yourself are still allowed to express an opinion about topics of which they know absolutely nothing. ;)
Relax, don't be so sensitive.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion here without your put-down's.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
You carry a purse, and I'm the sensitive one?

Suppose you explain why you think calling a MacGregor 26 a compromise boat is "seafaring snobbery". Do you know anything about seafaring? I suspect not. Perhaps you know a little about snobbery. Hee!
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
kenchau wrote: Is it easy sleeping on a boat?
Further to my previous comments.... I spent a few nights on my boat, and I can honestly say I never got a decent night's sleep, not even once.

If you are tied off properly, in a marina your boat will barely move at all, and I never even noticed the movement, even on super windy days. But the noise from the sailboat halyards slapping the masts is another story.

Some sailors are savvy and use bungee cords to secure the various lines a sailboat carries, but most don't give a flying f*ck.

Take a walk through a marina when the wind is blowing 20 knots and you will understand what I'm talking about. It is a very loud place.

Most marinas have a live-aboard community, and these people will tell you that after a while, you don't hear the slapping any more.

All I can tell you is this... I've been around marinas all my life, and I definitely do hear that slapping, and it keeps me awake. Sucks to be me, I guess. :(
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1331 posts
1060 upvotes
Hamilton
makaturing wrote: You carry a purse, and I'm Do you know anything about seafaring? I suspect not.
When I was a kid, my father built four (4) boats from scratch.

I know a lot.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
shwab wrote: When I was a kid, my father built four (4) boats from scratch. I know a lot.
Well then, you grew up in a family that knew something about boats! This is to be congratulated!

You seem upset that someone who grew up around boats would claim some expertise. Odd, that.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
I must add that I have no expertise regarding purses. I bow to your superior knowledge in this area.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1331 posts
1060 upvotes
Hamilton
makaturing wrote: I bow to your superior knowledge in this area.
I'm glad we can finally agree on something!
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
shwab wrote: I'm glad we can finally agree on something!
You took my shots, and kept it clean. You have my respect. Peace and out.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
makaturing wrote: Further to my previous comments.... I spent a few nights on my boat, and I can honestly say I never got a decent night's sleep, not even once.

If you are tied off properly, in a marina your boat will barely move at all, and I never even noticed the movement, even on super windy days. But the noise from the sailboat halyards slapping the masts is another story.

Some sailors are savvy and use bungee cords to secure the various lines a sailboat carries, but most don't give a flying f*ck.

Take a walk through a marina when the wind is blowing 20 knots and you will understand what I'm talking about. It is a very loud place.

Most marinas have a live-aboard community, and these people will tell you that after a while, you don't hear the slapping any more.

All I can tell you is this... I've been around marinas all my life, and I definitely do hear that slapping, and it keeps me awake. Sucks to be me, I guess. :(
Any idea what it takes or costs to have a boat in let's say Bluffer's Park in Scaroborough? Or some other higher profile location in Lake Ontario? It seems to be a great life! But it looks like boating is something that's often passed down from parent to child (from knowledge to $$ required).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)