• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2019 3:59 pm
Tags:
Oct 16, 2018
225 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto

Should I buy a PS4 now?

I'm thinking of buying a PS4 right now, but I'm worried that the price might drop. Does anyone know or heard of any price drops coming in the next few weeks or months? Thanks that would make my decision a lot easier.
29 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1236 posts
1688 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Yes, you should buy it now.. Prices aint gunna drop
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1236 posts
1688 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
No, you shouldnt buy it now... Price might drop
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3486 upvotes
Victoria
I always thing the best $$ per how long you're going to use the device is to buy it earlier rather than later. I've had a ps4 since the year after it came out. Prices aren't that much different now. That's a lot of usage for 50 or 100 bucks or whatever it's dropped so far. I think I've gotten good value by having the console that much longer during it's useful life.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
Prices are always going to drop on electronics and honestly the MSRP for the base model of a PS4 seems quite high so I would expect a price cut sometime later this year. Having said that unless you are willing to wait for black friday, you are looking at maybe 50$. There is no deals now that christmas is over so you are best to wait for a deal to pop up or just take a senior to shoppers on a tuesday to get 20% off.

The best time to get a PS4 was probably that 270$ spiderman bundle for boxing drop, but that was a limited one time only SKU but I don't think that price will be beat for a while.
zod wrote: I always thing the best $$ per how long you're going to use the device is to buy it earlier rather than later. I've had a ps4 since the year after it came out. Prices aren't that much different now. That's a lot of usage for 50 or 100 bucks or whatever it's dropped so far. I think I've gotten good value by having the console that much longer during it's useful life.
Interestingly enough the launch price of the PS4 (500GB) in Canada was 400$ CAD, the current MSRP is 380$ (1TB) CAD, folks who bought in at or shortly after launch got a pretty good bargain.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
Lookingfordeals911 wrote: I'm thinking of buying a PS4 right now, but I'm worried that the price might drop.
Why do some of you people do this 2 months after all the Black Friday deals? Black Friday was your opportunity.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
3174 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto
Lookingfordeals911 wrote: I'm thinking of buying a PS4 right now, but I'm worried that the price might drop. Does anyone know or heard of any price drops coming in the next few weeks or months? Thanks that would make my decision a lot easier.
Buy one now at Shoppers Drug mart when they have Friends and Family 20% off or Senior's Day 20% off.

That would likely be more savings than if you were to wait for a price drop.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
Lookingfordeals911 wrote: I'm thinking of buying a PS4 right now, but I'm worried that the price might drop. Does anyone know or heard of any price drops coming in the next few weeks or months? Thanks that would make my decision a lot easier.
Hi @Lookingfordeals911

I sent you a Private Message. Cheers!
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
Scorpionsy wrote: Hi @Lookingfordeals911

I sent you a Private Message. Cheers!
Why not share that in the forum?

To OP: with electronics, prices go down and sometimes up. You need to feel comfortable jumping in on tech when you do. If it is only about money, you will be waiting until it is no longer being developed for. So in this case, look at the PS4 library. It ain't going to grow too much more than what has been revealed as PS5 is supposedly around the corner. Heck, Sony is skipping E3 this year because they have nothing to show. If you are happy with that, jump in now and don't look back. Based on what we have seen, the next discount might be $50 if/when Microsoft announces their disc-less Xbox One console later this Spring and/or if/when Sony reveals PS5.
Oct 16, 2018
225 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
marcsterr wrote: Buy one now at Shoppers Drug mart when they have Friends and Family 20% off or Senior's Day 20% off.

That would likely be more savings than if you were to wait for a price drop.
What about that no tax at superstore?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
This is a weird question... I mean, if you're willing to wait, then wait until a sale comes because there will undoubtedly be an eventual sale or bundle or no tax day at superstore or shoppers drug mart redemption deal or whatever...

But if there are some games you really want to play, then maybe just grab one now and enjoy it, instead of ruminating over when to jump in.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Nov 24, 2006
567 posts
684 upvotes
Winnipeg
Your best bet in the near term is to get one on a 20X points day at Shoppers, assuming that you collect and use PC points.

I agree with others. Rather than worry about saving an extra 50 bucks, just get it and enjoy it. (Did I just violate RFD community guidelines by saying that?)

Also, get a PSVR. It's fun.
Last edited by gojetsgo on Jan 20th, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4548 posts
2623 upvotes
Lookingfordeals911 wrote: What about that no tax at superstore?
So you think saving tax of 13% or whatever it is in your province is better than saving 20%? I think you need to buy a calculator rather than a PS4.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
3174 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto
Lookingfordeals911 wrote:
What about that no tax at superstore?
boonjaca wrote: So you think saving tax of 13% or whatever it is in your province is better than saving 20%? I think you need to buy a calculator rather than a PS4.
Please see above reply ^
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Stop contemplating and start buying sonny boy!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Oct 16, 2018
225 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
boonjaca wrote: So you think saving tax of 13% or whatever it is in your province is better than saving 20%? I think you need to buy a calculator rather than a PS4.
Not everyone shops at shopper's drug Mart. And thanks for the math lesson, but it's just option's I was listing
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2007
2301 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto
If you're tight on cash then you might want hold off until the summer, as there could be another price drop of the PS4 Slim. I doubt the PS4 Pro will get a price drop, but you never know. Also, keep in mind that more than likely PS5 will debut in 2020 Q4. Rumour has it that it'll be backwards compatible with PS4 games, so you could always pick-up some PS4 games that go on sale later on. I know there's no guarantee, but Sony knows that the fans would be outraged if PS5 isn't backwards compatible.

If I may recommend MTC Outlet, they have certified refurbished PS3 and PS4 consoles for reasonable prices. MTC was a place I used to go to in order to get some of my PS3 accessories to be looked at or be repaired.

I read your other post, and I wanted to share that I've pre-ordered Days Gone from Amazon.ca for $49.96, and I really want to play that! I'm into apocalyptic survival-horror games, such as The Last of Us, Metro, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., SCUM, DayZ Standalone edition, and State of Decay. Days Gone is one survival game that I've been itching to play, and since it's a Sony first party game, you know there's not going to be any BS microtransactions or cash-grabbing antics. The story and characters look really solid, and that's the type of quality gaming that I want to play.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
Lookingfordeals911 wrote: Yeah might just. Want to try that game days gone.
... Days Gone isn't out until April, so unless there are other games your want to play, you've got time... I think someone on the Hot Deals forum posted that Shoppers was going to have a redemption deal though, so you might not have to wait long.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Oct 16, 2018
225 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
tigerhawk33 wrote: If you're tight on cash then you might want hold off until the summer, as there could be another price drop of the PS4 Slim. I doubt the PS4 Pro will get a price drop, but you never know. Also, keep in mind that more than likely PS5 will debut in 2020 Q4. Rumour has it that it'll be backwards compatible with PS4 games, so you could always pick-up some PS4 games that go on sale later on. I know there's no guarantee, but Sony knows that the fans would be outraged if PS5 isn't backwards compatible.

If I may recommend MTC Outlet, they have certified refurbished PS3 and PS4 consoles for reasonable prices. MTC was a place I used to go to in order to get some of my PS3 accessories to be looked at or be repaired.

I read your other post, and I wanted to share that I've pre-ordered Days Gone from Amazon.ca for $49.96, and I really want to play that! I'm into apocalyptic survival-horror games, such as The Last of Us, Metro, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., SCUM, DayZ Standalone edition, and State of Decay. Days Gone is one survival game that I've been itching to play, and since it's a Sony first party game, you know there's not going to be any BS microtransactions or cash-grabbing antics. The story and characters look really solid, and that's the type of quality gaming that I want to play.
Think I'm going to stick with the pro just because of the longevity and the bigger fan and better build quality. I will also be future-proof. MTC sounds great and cheap and all but I've read some pretty bad reviews on them. But thanks for your input.