Automotive

Should I buy this these warranties on my new car?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2011 11:55 am
Tags:
None
Jan 9, 2010
638 posts
112 upvotes

Should I buy this these warranties on my new car?

Just bought a new car, and I was offered this warranty. I know that warranties are usually a scam, but this one that I'm offered is a pretty much no nonsense, no questions asked lifetime warranty for rust/corrosion, paint, and stain on my upholstery.

The cost is $999 plus tax, and covers the entire life of the vehicle. If there is any corrosion at all, they will repair it free of charge, with the exception that the rust is caused by damage to the vehicle because of an accident, etc. The warranty also covers lifetime paint protection. Every 2 years they will reapply a coating to protect the paint, and if there is any fading, discolouring, oxidizing due to the sun, road salts, etc. they will repair it and then retreated with the coating. Same thing with the upholstery.

I know the general consensus with warranties such as this is a scam, but I've read the protection certificate and there pretty much is no fine print to limit the coverage; and the fact that it is a lifetime guarantee. I figure that if I were to replace any rust it would still cost me some money in the long run. I'm also thinking of purchasing the paint warranty as well since I bought a white car and white paint is most susceptible to fading, sun damage etc.

The product that they use is called "Platinum Shield Diamond-Kote".

Any inputs?

Thanks in advance.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2007
1219 posts
82 upvotes
moofur wrote:
Feb 14th, 2011 10:42 pm
Just bought a new car, and I was offered this warranty. I know that warranties are usually a scam, but this one that I'm offered is a pretty much no nonsense, no questions asked lifetime warranty for rust/corrosion, paint, and stain on my upholstery.

The cost is $999 plus tax, and covers the entire life of the vehicle. If there is any corrosion at all, they will repair it free of charge, with the exception that the rust is caused by damage to the vehicle because of an accident, etc. The warranty also covers lifetime paint protection. Every 2 years they will reapply a coating to protect the paint, and if there is any fading, discolouring, oxidizing due to the sun, road salts, etc. they will repair it and then retreated with the coating. Same thing with the upholstery.

I know the general consensus with warranties such as this is a scam, but I've read the protection certificate and there pretty much is no fine print to limit the coverage; and the fact that it is a lifetime guarantee. I figure that if I were to replace any rust it would still cost me some money in the long run. I'm also thinking of purchasing the paint warranty as well since I bought a white car and white paint is most susceptible to fading, sun damage etc.

Any inputs?

Thanks in advance.

I spent about $1000 ten years ago on paint/rust/fabric protection for my Corolla. Then I moved out of the city where I had bought it, never upped the rust-protection (since I thought that I had to go to the original dealer) - and the fabrics have been fine, I guess.

Looking back, I wouldn't have spent a cent on that package. My car has a few rust spots now, but I have over 335,000 km on it, so no big deal.

IMO, you'd be better putting aside that money towards future maintenance, your next car or general savings.
Dec 23, 2010
451 posts
27 upvotes
don't buy rust proofing
you can get the same thing for $150 from krown
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7664 posts
761 upvotes
North York
moofur wrote:
Feb 14th, 2011 11:15 pm
Care to elaborate? Thanks.

Okay ... you pay the $999 + tax. You get NOTHING in return. NOTHING. NOTHING. (It is not a scam. Some buyer have this illusion a car will last a lifetime and will not change from the day they buy it. So they try to protect their "investment". A car is not an investment, it is an expense. This is the buyer's fault, not the sales people.)

After 3 years, the car doesn't look like a NEW car anymore. Paint scratches, door dings on the side, rock dings on the hood ... you won't care about a 100% perfect finish on a car.

Save the $999 and spend it on normal car maintenance that will come up ... new tires, new brakes.

Or have the car detailed inside & out every year (much better use of money if you want to keep the care clean and looking great.)
Oct 25, 2010
348 posts
23 upvotes
Northern Onterio
if it was a new car it should already has factory undercoating which last for at least 2-3 years after that you can krown it.

interior upholstery protection is pretty simple method, most dealers dont even do it themself...they send the cars to us and we clean and spray it with scotch guard...the same product you find in a spray can at CT for 9.99...I would use about 2 cans for a mid size sedan.

clear coat protection on a new car? even if the car was 5 years old it would have signs of scratches and rock chip...a clear coat cannot remove everything...just buy a good wax kit
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes
moofur wrote:
Feb 14th, 2011 10:42 pm

Any inputs? Thanks in advance.
I'm with the others - don't waste your money.

btw - how long do you plan on hanging on to your car ?

" also thinking of purchasing the paint warranty " - how much more is that ?
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2011 12:21 am
Okay ... you pay the $999 + tax. You get NOTHING in return. NOTHING. NOTHING. (It is not a scam. Some buyer have this illusion a car will last a lifetime and will not change from the day they buy it. So they try to protect their "investment". A car is not an investment, it is an expense. This is the buyer's fault, not the sales people.)

After 3 years, the car doesn't look like a NEW car anymore. Paint scratches, door dings on the side, rock dings on the hood ... you won't care about a 100% perfect finish on a car.

Save the $999 and spend it on normal car maintenance that will come up ... new tires, new brakes.

Or have the car detailed inside & out every year (much better use of money if you want to keep the care clean and looking great.)
+1
TRAIN HARD !!!!
[OP]
Jan 9, 2010
638 posts
112 upvotes
Thanks guys. Declining it it is. That's why I love RFD :p

Btw, it was $999 for all the protection.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1294 upvotes
moofur wrote:
Feb 15th, 2011 7:47 am
Thanks guys. Declining it it is. That's why I love RFD :p

Btw, it was $999 for all the protection.

Smart move. ;)
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8656 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto
Take that $999 and put it in a HISA. That's your own warranty fund :)
× < >