Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 24, 2008
9 posts
Cloverdale, BC, Cana…

Should I buy the Weber BBQ or Napolean?

Napoleon Ted Reader 485 Series 3-Burner Natural Gas BBQ
$499 on sale, 40% off from $849 at [rfdlink=1]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink].
(Box is tagged, made in PRC...peoples republic of China

Or

the Weber Genesis, black powder coat lid, not full stainless, without a sideburner is $850, and with a sideburner is $1000 I think.

vc

Thanks!
25 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2003
1526 posts
3 upvotes
I vote for the Weber, I've had mine for 5 years still going strong. Who cares about Stainless Steel surface, its a fad....
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4451 posts
594 upvotes
I checked the Ted Reader BBQ on for $840 at CTC - not much "real" stainless steel - just the lid. IR is a nice touch, but the IR burner was not manufactured to the same specs as the "real" Napleons made in Canada. The CTC Napoleon warranty is NOT the same as the regular Naploeon warranty.

I would stay away from the $500 model - more like a $300 model with the Naploeon name IMO.

Weber is the way to go given your choices, but I would reccomend getting a "real" Weber. The ones at HD are watered down to meet a price point - just like the Napoleon at CTC, but the Nap is really watered down. You will find more stainless on the real Webers and a better warranty.

I just bought a BK XLS90 - had all I wanted and more. Very well appointed BBQ and it's huge. The Weber had just a small grilling area IMO and a rotisserie was important to me, which was extra on the Weber. I was on the fence between a real Weber and the BK and my wife liked the BK better - so we went with that.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1148 posts
73 upvotes
Brampton
the IR burner was not manufactured to the same specs as the "real" Napleons made in Canada. The CTC Napoleon warranty is NOT the same as the regular Naploeon warranty.
How does the Napoleon warranty differ from CT vs a Napoleon purchased from a dealer? How is the IR burner different?

Obviously the Napoleon dealers can't be happy with the CT models and they are probably justified in being a little disappointed with Napoleon but what are the warranty differences?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
1896 posts
326 upvotes
GTA
dutchca wrote:
Sep 7th, 2008 4:52 pm
I checked the Ted Reader BBQ on for $840 at CTC - not much "real" stainless steel - just the lid. IR is a nice touch, but the IR burner was not manufactured to the same specs as the "real" Napleons made in Canada. The CTC Napoleon warranty is NOT the same as the regular Naploeon warranty.

I would stay away from the $500 model - more like a $300 model with the Naploeon name IMO.

Weber is the way to go given your choices, but I would reccomend getting a "real" Weber. The ones at HD are watered down to meet a price point - just like the Napoleon at CTC, but the Nap is really watered down. You will find more stainless on the real Webers and a better warranty.

I just bought a BK XLS90 - had all I wanted and more. Very well appointed BBQ and it's huge. The Weber had just a small grilling area IMO and a rotisserie was important to me, which was extra on the Weber. I was on the fence between a real Weber and the BK and my wife liked the BK better - so we went with that.
I'm not about to argue about this, but you are wrong about the higher priced Napoleon grill at CTC.

The IR burner is the same, and the warranty is the same as the Napoleon Mirage series grill that the Ted Reader 605 model is based on. As has been stated many times in other threads, the major difference is the grilling surface: the Mirage 605 has stainless steel, where the Ted Reader 605 has a porcelain-coated cast iron grill. The Ted Reader model is also missing a side burner and the cart storage area is somewhat smaller.

However, it is still a good quality piece.
[OP]
Aug 24, 2008
9 posts
Cloverdale, BC, Cana…
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the insight. At homehardware they actually have the weber with the 9mm Stainless Steel cooking grates. I think that's the way I'm going to go, they're just way too nice to pass on for a few hundred more, and sounds like they last forever. I wish I could find one on sale though!!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2101 posts
28 upvotes
I have the "real" Napoleon, and my dad has the Weber Summit. The huge 9mm grills on the Summit are fantastic, but the 6mm on the Napoleon aren't bad, either. They are both real bar stock - not bent out of stainless sheets.

Both companies make great grills. I'm just partial to the IR on the Napoleon. Steaks are amazing on IR (try a 2" thick tenderloin with a good steak rub). Otherwise, the Weber has some nice touches that set it apart, like the drip tray and the smoker box and burner.
JasonK wrote:
Sep 8th, 2008 10:11 am
I wish I could find one on sale though!!
I waited a year for a sale on a top-end BBQ. Never found one. Best I could do was 10% off.
Dec 27, 2007
644 posts
4 upvotes
I picked up the TR485 earlier in the summer. I originally wanted the Weber Genesis 320, but couldn't justify the price difference (I got a really good deal). I also wasn't crazy about the knob placement on the Weber.

The TR is a fine grill. Customer support and warranty seems like the same as any other Weber. I was treated no differently when I called in a couple times (including a replacement for a part that I mangled on installation).

I never liked using side burners, and I preferred storage space on the side. So, the TR's "deficiency" in this respect doesn't bother me.

I rather like the grill on the TR. I didn't know that it was porcelain coated. It looks like cast iron....
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4451 posts
594 upvotes
venice_it wrote:
Sep 7th, 2008 5:59 pm
How does the Napoleon warranty differ from CT vs a Napoleon purchased from a dealer? How is the IR burner different?

Obviously the Napoleon dealers can't be happy with the CT models and they are probably justified in being a little disappointed with Napoleon but what are the warranty differences?
Very similar except for:

CTC warranty goes to 25 years, Mirage Series is lifetime

Mirage series - "Components such as stainless steel sear plates, stainless steel cooking grids, valves with ignition system, temperature gauges, knobs, ceramic infrared burners are covered and Napoleon will provide parts free of
charge during the first two years of the limited warranty."

CTC - "Components such as stainless steel sear plates, cast iron cooking grids, valves with ignition system, temperature gauges, knobs, ceramic bottom and rear infrared burners are covered and Napoleon will provide parts free of charge during the first two years of the limited warranty."

You can see that they don't refer to the bottom burner as infrared in the CTC Model. Further backs up my claim that the IR burners are not made the same for the CTC and "real" Napoleon. In my tests the Stainless on the real IR burner did not react with a magnet (good), where the stainless in the CTC model did (bad).
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4451 posts
594 upvotes
N8Magic wrote:
Sep 8th, 2008 12:07 am
I'm not about to argue about this, but you are wrong about the higher priced Napoleon grill at CTC.

The IR burner is the same, and the warranty is the same as the Napoleon Mirage series grill that the Ted Reader 605 model is based on. As has been stated many times in other threads, the major difference is the grilling surface: the Mirage 605 has stainless steel, where the Ted Reader 605 has a porcelain-coated cast iron grill. The Ted Reader model is also missing a side burner and the cart storage area is somewhat smaller.

However, it is still a good quality piece.[/QUOTE ]

I don't want to argue either, but it depends on how you define "wrong". See my post above.

The more expensive TR model is nothing like the Mirage 605 - 20,000 BTU's difference among other things....
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1148 posts
73 upvotes
Brampton
On the CT website, it lists the warranty as "limited lifetime" for Napoleon.

The reference to the ceramic bottom burner is the infrared burner since most of these are ceramic. This is really a desired feature if you like steaks because you just can't get the same temps from the main burners. I would think webers are nice for chicken and little to no flareups, but their smaller models don't have the btus to get super hot.

Looking at the Napoleon grates at CT, they appeared to be cast iron minus the porcelain even though the website states porcelain coated. I could be wrong though. If you really wanted stainless grates, I'm sure you could purchase the grates directly from Napoleon several years down the road if these fail, and if the grates are covered under the warranty you might possibly get new ones.

I'm not in the market for a bbq and I don't have a Napoleon, but I think it's an awesome deal for someone in the market to get one for basically less than half price by getting it at CT. You don't really see good discounts on the major name brand bbqs and this might be a rare opportunity. I agree the Broil Kings are good value bbqs for the money, but I don't think you'd go wrong with this deal for a good name brand with an IR searing burner.

I'm guessing some of the bad talk about these Napoleons is really from high end retailers that have had to justify their higher prices and have lost some sales.
Dec 27, 2007
644 posts
4 upvotes
Yeah, cuz I fully expect to be using the same bbq in 25 years.... :D
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2101 posts
28 upvotes
bythehour wrote:
Sep 8th, 2008 5:04 pm
Yeah, cuz I fully expect to be using the same bbq in 25 years.... :D
My dad got 20 years out of an old Weber Genesis I. Same basic geometry as the new ones with left-to-right burners and valves on the right. The side burner went years ago, and by this year, the old grills were sagging and it needed new burners. Instead, new Summit S-450.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1424 upvotes
Pickering
I think everybody is worrying a little too much about an IR burner.I've had no problems searing a steak with charcoal, and definitely no problems with the BK XLS 90 @ 700+ degrees. Most IR burners are not large enough to sear four decent sized steaks. IR for the rotisserie does no magic either over a regular burner. Mine on half easily does 350 and on full it'll do 600+ degrees.
A full grill IR might be different, but one element is just about as useless as trendy stainless...
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1148 posts
73 upvotes
Brampton
I think everybody is worrying a little too much about an IR burner.I've had no problems searing a steak with charcoal, and definitely no problems with the BK XLS 90 @ 700+ degrees. Most IR burners are not large enough to sear four decent sized steaks. IR for the rotisserie does no magic either over a regular burner. Mine on half easily does 350 and on full it'll do 600+ degrees.
A full grill IR might be different, but one element is just about as useless as trendy stainless...
I think it all depends on what you like to cook. If you like steaks and can reach 1000+degrees of temperature in a few minutes it is better than waiting for a whole grill to hit 700 degrees. You can sear the steaks and put them to the main grill to cook to the desired level. For the most part this is a premium feature on premium grills and a nice item to have if you like juicy steaks without having to wait forever for a grill to reach only mediocre temps.

You could also argue that very little about a bbq is absolutely necessary except heat and a grill. But one person might like a rotisserie burner and another like a side burner or a searing burner or a ridiculous amount of btu's or shiny stainless body or a fancy name. Personally, I don't really use a side burner, but if a grill had one, I wouldn't knock it and might find uses for it.
× < >