• Feb 25th, 2014 7:35 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2012
3095 posts
1332 upvotes
West
Make sure there are drivers available for all your components....or your comp may run pretty bad with a new OS (overheat, glitchy, etc...).

P.S. Windows 7 is free if you use the Daz Boot loader....
Banned
Jul 25, 2007
797 posts
48 upvotes
Richmond Hell
WhatsTheRush wrote: Make sure there are drivers available for all your components....or your comp may run pretty bad with a new OS (overheat, glitchy, etc...).

What is daz boot loader?
signature removed for being offensive
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
WhatsTheRush wrote: Make sure there are drivers available for all your components....or your comp may run pretty bad with a new OS (overheat, glitchy, etc...).
Yeah most people forget about this part. Just because your have a computer that runs Win7 doesn't mean all the parts have a compatible driver for Win8. This is one of the biggest headaches of upgrading to a new OS.

I suspect it's Micro$oft and PC manufacturers that want you to buy new computers every time there's a new OS release.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
May 29, 2008
828 posts
374 upvotes
jjboy wrote: Perhaps computer illiterate people will find it " ***** " but anyone who spends a minute clicking a few options and installing startisback will find that Windows 8.1 is a far superior OS...
Apparently I'm computer illiterate because Windows 8 is confusing to me. The user interface is soooo bad. I hate when I have to remote into someone's computer when they have Windows 8 installed. Even if you install startisback, like you suggested, it's not the only problem I have with the interface.

[IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img853/4116/imu9.jpg[/IMG]

So... ribbon and wording... hardcore fail IMO. Ribbon takes up too much space for a bunch functions that are basically a one time setting according to your preferences. Or things like copy/paste which most people know shortcuts to. Even if they didn't know the shortcut, a right click and selecting from the context menu would likely be faster due to the shorter distance of mouse movement.

And wording.... oh boy... 'Hidden items'??? What is that supposed to mean? Does it delete 'Hidden items'? Show them? Hide them? I know the answer is 'show' but that's just a very poor wording choice. It doesn't tell you what it actually does; it just lists something there in the options. They may as well put an option up there that says 'Water' if we're just listing random things.

Windows 8 might be right for some people and Windows 7 may be better for others, it's all about your preference. I prefer a good interface that doesn't frustrate me and slow down my own efficiency. For myself, that's Windows 7. Some people like to group their programs in the taskbar. I do not because it doesn't make sense to me to add more steps to see and/or open a specific window. But again, it all comes down to preference. Grouping programs might seem cleaner and help other people's efficiency, although it objectively takes more steps to get to the window that you want.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6697 posts
266 upvotes
St. Catharines
Russell wrote: Windows 8 is the leanest and best performing windows currently on the market. Purchase that and download some free software (classic shell) to restore the classic start menu. The performance difference from Windows Vista is substantial.
:lol: That's joke right?
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2012
3479 posts
609 upvotes
Nova Scotia

I discovered you can reuse a key off an old dead PC on a new one also (not that this is an option for the OP).

A lot of the pre-built's come with an OEM version that ties to the motherboard/parts when you first validate, so when it comes to validate the key on a new machine it won't go through.

But you can call MS and explain you're repairing/upgrading the original PC when you're attempting to do this, as long as the key is only going to be used on 1 PC they let you do it. Apparently half the time you just get an automated service when you call, and as long as you answer a certain question by saying "one" (PC) it will spit out a new key for you.

This was last posted about in 2013 when I was checking into it earlier.

Good news for me though, I'm in that situation now if my new PC order ships, going to need that OS a d already spent the budget for it.

FYI full retail discs of windows can be downloaded legally (search digital river) but you still need to get a legit key. I have it loaded up on a USB boot drive right now with the old PC key and waiting impatiently lol.
I'm not on the can right now, I swear
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
toomuchpie wrote: Apparently I'm computer illiterate because Windows 8 is confusing to me. The user interface is soooo bad. I hate when I have to remote into someone's computer when they have Windows 8 installed. Even if you install startisback, like you suggested, it's not the only problem I have with the interface.

[IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img853/4116/imu9.jpg[/IMG]

So... ribbon and wording... hardcore fail IMO. Ribbon takes up too much space for a bunch functions that are basically a one time setting according to your preferences. Or things like copy/paste which most people know shortcuts to. Even if they didn't know the shortcut, a right click and selecting from the context menu would likely be faster due to the shorter distance of mouse movement.

And wording.... oh boy... 'Hidden items'??? What is that supposed to mean? Does it delete 'Hidden items'? Show them? Hide them? I know the answer is 'show' but that's just a very poor wording choice. It doesn't tell you what it actually does; it just lists something there in the options. They may as well put an option up there that says 'Water' if we're just listing random things.

Windows 8 might be right for some people and Windows 7 may be better for others, it's all about your preference. I prefer a good interface that doesn't frustrate me and slow down my own efficiency. For myself, that's Windows 7. Some people like to group their programs in the taskbar. I do not because it doesn't make sense to me to add more steps to see and/or open a specific window. But again, it all comes down to preference. Grouping programs might seem cleaner and help other people's efficiency, although it objectively takes more steps to get to the window that you want.
If you don't know how to use Windows 8, should shouldn't be allow to use Windows 7. Windows 8 was created for people like you. If you don't know what the heck is "Hidden Items or File Name Extension" is how will you know where to look for it in Windows 7 in the first place?

Anyway Ribbons are there mostly for Touch Tablet. The ribbons only show up when you click on it and goes away when you click away from it or you can minimized it so I don't know what you are whining about.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
150 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Windows 8 is BETTER on a desktop than a tablet. I have Windows 8 on a HTPC, workstation and tablet, and it's by FAR the worst on a tablet.

Most people that say you need a touchscreen for Windows 8 just don't know what the hell they are talking about.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
Actually Windows 8 "DESKTOP" was never really meant to be use on a tablet. The touch part is mainly for the start screen. Microsoft really need to go back to the drawing board and make it more seamless because as a PC desktop user the start screen is fine but as a tablet user the touch Start Screen is what is meant for but become a total mess when you switch over to desktop.
May 29, 2008
828 posts
374 upvotes
LEXX911 wrote: If you don't know how to use Windows 8, should shouldn't be allow to use Windows 7. Windows 8 was created for people like you. If you don't know what the heck is "Hidden Items or File Name Extension" is how will you know where to look for it in Windows 7 in the first place?

Anyway Ribbons are there mostly for Touch Tablet. The ribbons only show up when you click on it and goes away when you click away from it or you can minimized it so I don't know what you are whining about.
Lol... Windows 8 is definitely not designed for people like me, who like user-friendly interfaces and are familiar with many shortcuts already. I know where it is because it's been there forever in past versions of Windows. Here is an example of good design:

[IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img600/6271/pr2y.png[/IMG]

Notice how those the text beside the checkboxes and radio buttons actually TELL you what checking the checkbox or selecting the radio button will do (it's Windows 7 btw)? Have you ever written a program, or designed anything that users are supposed to interact with? Or hell, just designed anything at all. It's a principle of good design to make things clear and obvious. That's why when you see good code, there are clear, obvious variable names and comments that explain exactly what's going on. BTW this isn't just some programming principle, but as I stated earlier, a principle of good design. Windows 8 is a complete design fail in my eyes. Things are complicated, not clear and hinder understanding and efficiency. If it looks good to you, and you find it helps your efficiency, good for you. But I've shown examples of Windows 8's bad design and all you've shown is that you can insult people without being informed.

Lastly, I acknowledge that it can be minimized, but in my experience on a few desktop computers running Windows 8, the ribbon most certainly does not "only show up when you click on it and goes away when you click away from it". Also, I read an article somewhere that if you minimize it, it will restore itself upon a reboot. And of course you can install something to get rid of the ribbon but the point I was making is that Windows 8 was poorly designed, period.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
toomuchpie wrote: Lol... Windows 8 is definitely not designed for people like me, who like user-friendly interfaces and are familiar with many shortcuts already. I know where it is because it's been there forever in past versions of Windows. Here is an example of good design:

[IMG]http://imageshack.com/a/img600/6271/pr2y.png[/IMG]

Notice how those the text beside the checkboxes and radio buttons actually TELL you what checking the checkbox or selecting the radio button will do (it's Windows 7 btw)? Have you ever written a program, or designed anything that users are supposed to interact with? Or hell, just designed anything at all. It's a principle of good design to make things clear and obvious. That's why when you see good code, there are clear, obvious variable names and comments that explain exactly what's going on. BTW this isn't just some programming principle, but as I stated earlier, a principle of good design. Windows 8 is a complete design fail in my eyes. Things are complicated, not clear and hinder understanding and efficiency. If it looks good to you, and you find it helps your efficiency, good for you. But I've shown examples of Windows 8's bad design and all you've shown is that you can insult people without being informed.

Lastly, I acknowledge that it can be minimized, but in my experience on a few desktop computers running Windows 8, the ribbon most certainly does not "only show up when you click on it and goes away when you click away from it". Also, I read an article somewhere that if you minimize it, it will restore itself upon a reboot. And of course you can install something to get rid of the ribbon but the point I was making is that Windows 8 was poorly designed, period.
How is it a bad design? It's given people more options so that they don't need to go messing with other options inside that Folder in Control Panel. I don't know what the hell you are blabbing about because Windows 8 still have all that stuff under COntrol Panel if you want to use it. "Also, I read an article somewhere that if you minimize it, it will restore itself upon a reboot". I don't see it's happening here. Maybe try and use it instead of letting others decide for you. Windows 7 is exactly like Windows 8 on desktop. Explain to me how Windows 8 on desktop is any less efficient than Windows 7 and how is it stopping you from doing your normal regular stuff? How exactly does it slow you down? Seriously stop prejudging it if you haven't been using it and stop reading or following others on the bang wagon of bashing Windows 8 just because of the Start Screen or the missing Start button.
May 29, 2008
828 posts
374 upvotes
It's bad design by unclear options due to poor wording... Are you selectively reading only what you want to see to in order win an argument? What I read about minimizing the ribbon may be untrue, but I have in fact used Windows 8 on a few occasions. It's just that I hated it every time I used it and would never install it on any of my own computers. I didn't jump on any bandwagon. I formed my own opinion of Windows 8 after using it. You would have known that I used Windows 8 if you weren't selectively reading only what you wanted to see.

Edit: Also, I don't know what prejudice you're talking about. I stated earlier that Windows 8 is right for some people, but not for me. I'm not forcing anyone to not use it. I simply showed how poorly designed I personally thought it was after experiencing it for myself.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4899 posts
100 upvotes
Local
you know what i like about windows 8.1??? skydrive is integrated into windows. in windows 7, i would download wallpapers from interfacelift.com.....if i wanted those wallpapers on another pc at home.....id either re-download them.....copy from a device like a flash drive and paste...or make sure the folder was being shared on the home network......in windows 8.1 i just save to my skydrive when ot asks me where i want to download.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Win 8.1, why you ask? Extended support, faster, everything win 7 has, metro can be disabled. How is this even an argument? If you disable metro and have classic start it's practically win 7.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2008
5754 posts
475 upvotes
toomuchpie wrote: It's bad design by unclear options due to poor wording... Are you selectively reading only what you want to see to in order win an argument? What I read about minimizing the ribbon may be untrue, but I have in fact used Windows 8 on a few occasions. It's just that I hated it every time I used it and would never install it on any of my own computers. I didn't jump on any bandwagon. I formed my own opinion of Windows 8 after using it. You would have known that I used Windows 8 if you weren't selectively reading only what you wanted to see.

Edit: Also, I don't know what prejudice you're talking about. I stated earlier that Windows 8 is right for some people, but not for me. I'm not forcing anyone to not use it. I simply showed how poorly designed I personally thought it was after experiencing it for myself.
Windows 8 is clearly not for you, even if it's the best OS ever. It might be perfectly good for some other people, even if it's worst OS ever . I am not sure why you guys bother arguing about personal preferences?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2008
5754 posts
475 upvotes
fromunda kid wrote: Thinking about upgrading from windows xp to either 7 or 8. Which do you all think is better? I like to game and browse mainly.
I found a site like this http://windows8online.net/
Do you all know if this is legit or not?
Coming from Windows XP, I would upgrade to Windows 8 directly. Despite what some people say, Windows 7 actually changed a lot from Windows XP (as was Windows XP from Windows 2000). I still remember hating Windows XP and switching to Classic theme all the time.

Might as well jump to the latest version. It takes some getting used to, but the improvements easily outweigh the initial learning curve (which is not a lot to begin with). Install a third party start menu if you have to, but I never found the needs to.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
toomuchpie wrote: Apparently I'm computer illiterate because Windows 8 is confusing to me. The user interface is soooo bad. I hate when I have to remote into someone's computer when they have Windows 8 installed. Even if you install startisback, like you suggested, it's not the only problem I have with the interface.
There are 2 camps. Ones who live by the File Explorer and ones who don't and have no idea what it is. I live by it and was so glad to see it in Win8. Those who use MS Word/Excel a lot will adapt to the File Explorer office-esk navigation UI easily. Too bad Win8's version doesn't have tabs.
Even when using somoene elses computer (Win7) I'll always tell them to add the copy to/move to registry entries.
Ive used other file explorers that have the UI office-esk features for years now (have tried Unreal Commander, Explorer++, Better Explorer) on past Windows OS's and wouldn't use any plain oem Explorer now without them.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
2045 posts
638 upvotes
BC
This is crazy. Asking this question will get other peoples subjective views, GO to a store and try both OS. See what suits you the best. Personally I use Windows 7. I like it and see no reason to change to Windows 8, not because its not good, but I just don't need to.
If you haven't used either then you should go with the newest OS, since you will never know the difference.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
People not supporting the platform and not buying it has caused microsoft to take a step back in terms of forcing Metro on everyone. My preference not to buy was based on my own personal principles. I agree with everyone else in the forum that Windows 8 is a better OS under the hood (I don't think anyone disputes that), but the interface was a step in the wrong direction.

I didn't want to buy windows 8 because I did't like that direction and didn't want to support it. Had everyone bought windows 8, installed 3rd party software to make it more like win 7, then Microsoft probably would of made metro more prominent in windows 9.

The poor sales of Windows 8 has it going in the other direction where Microsoft is slowly backpedalling on the decision for force metro. Classic windows options are coming back. Start Button came back in 8.1. Boot to desktop should come in the next 8.1 update. Classic Start Menu in 8.2 (or windows 9) etc. For me that just leaves aero.

I'll probably skip 8 and buy 9 when it comes out. It's all on my own preference. I don't like buying things when the company changes then for the worse. If people do, then the company things the changes are good. There's only one way to companies to notice and that's by not buying their product. I'm only one person, but it seems a lot of other people felt the same way, and now Microsoft is listening.....
Sep 24, 2012
347 posts
30 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
MS should have stopped developing after win xp. It had all the stuff right in first place and they could have just charged for service packs and keep making it more secure.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)