Automotive

Should I change my insurance to liability only?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2013 10:25 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
8405 posts
4690 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote: there are some strings attached to the "accident waiver" that insurance companies don't tell you about unless you ask them. Say you switch to a different company, then that "at fault accident" has to be disclosed to the new company and you are going to pay the increase.
That sounds perfectly reasonable. Why would an insurance company overlook your previous accident because you've chosen to pay extra to the first insurance company to ignore the first at-fault accident? ;)
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5156 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
SoroSuub1 wrote: That sounds perfectly reasonable. Why would an insurance company overlook your previous accident because you've chosen to pay extra to the first insurance company to ignore the first at-fault accident? ;)
then people would less favorably on that bull sht "first at fault accident waiver" benefit. That basically gives the insurance company 6 years locked contract with you. Otherwise you're screwed. If its a waiver, then it should be wiped completely off your record without any trace, otherwise its misleading.
Mar 5, 2005
435 posts
78 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote: well the cost of liability only is $190 a month. Yeah complete and utter BS for just liability. The thing im worried about most is theft, so i decided to keep full coverage and hopefully by next year my premium will drop.
I dropped comprehensive some time ago. My coverage is for liability, and theft. So my vehicle is not covered if I cause an accident, but it is still covered if my vehicle is stolen.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
if you dropped comprehensive coverage then you DO NOT have coverage for theft
RoadRunner wrote: I dropped comprehensive some time ago. My coverage is for liability, and theft. So my vehicle is not covered if I cause an accident, but it is still covered if my vehicle is stolen.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
COSMIC5 wrote: if you dropped comprehensive coverage then you DO NOT have coverage for theft
Perhaps this varies by province but in Yukon, Section C Subsection 3 Comprehensive is available. It is commonly used for winter storage.

Summary description is:
Covers the automobile against loss or damage caused other than by collision or upset.

Comprehensive is commonly referred to as fire and theft.
Mar 5, 2005
435 posts
78 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote: if you dropped comprehensive coverage then you DO NOT have coverage for theft

My mistake, what I meant to say was that I dropped coverage for collision and upset. Older vehicle so maybe not worth repairing and I very much trust my own driving. I kept comprehensive coverage as it covers the vehicle for fire and theft.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Go to liability and add fire theft ( fire/theft should be an extra 5$ month approximately ) you don't need full coverage to add fire theft. Some companies also don't even offer fire/theft in their full coverage package its offered as a add on.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
lol thanks for the insurance lesson - however, I do know what comprehensive coverage is and what it covers
Marzipan wrote: Perhaps this varies by province but in Yukon, Section C Subsection 3 Comprehensive is available. It is commonly used for winter storage.

Summary description is:
Covers the automobile against loss or damage caused other than by collision or upset.

Comprehensive is commonly referred to as fire and theft.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience