• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2017 10:01 pm
[OP]
Jul 23, 2015
44 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Should I do US CPA or Canadian CPA?

I'm a dual citizen in both countries. I'm in 4th year at a Canadian university majoring in accounting. I've worked 2 co-ops at a big accounting firm in Canada and 1 co-op in the US for a Fortune 500
I also plan to do the grad diploma my schools offers, which allows me to skip to the capstones.

However, should I go do a US CPA instead or stick the with Canadian CPA program? I feel like there are more opportunities in the US.

My concern with with US route is I might have do school again from scratch (pretty sure their CPA courses are different). Or I might have to apply for a masters program my gpa isn't really high 3.3...
Just wasn't sure if its worth the time and money
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4776 posts
774 upvotes
Peterborough
I would do Canadian if you plan to work here and US if you plan to work there.

Better route is to get CDN designation, then do reciprocity exams (not sure if still applicable so look into it) and get the US letters after.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2015
44 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dutchca wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:23 am
I would do Canadian if you plan to work here and US if you plan to work there.

Better route is to get CDN designation, then do reciprocity exams (not sure if still applicable so look into it) and get the US letters after.
Would I have to do more schooling to meet the req to do the US exams?
Feb 14, 2016
857 posts
262 upvotes
xxxyyy wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 2:16 pm
Would I have to do more schooling to meet the req to do the US exams?
u clearly need to do more research on your own, bud
it takes 5 min googling to figure out the requirement for each CPAs;

god damn bro, are you seriously asking people for advice with those job experiences?????

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=us+cpa+education+requirement
took me 1s to type this on google,1 minutes to read the education requirement for US CPA; 10s to understand that it only requires to "complete 150 semester hours of education"

Didn't school and coop teach you critical thinking and basic research skill? come on man seriously,

Picking which designation to pursue is pretty big career decision; were you just gonna rely on advice from internet without doing your own research? which took less than 3 minutes?
[OP]
Jul 23, 2015
44 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
JIB9022 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 3:33 pm

god damn bro, are you seriously asking people for advice with those job experiences?????

took me 1s to type this on google,1 minutes to read the education requirement for US CPA; 10s to understand that it only requires to "complete 150 semester hours of education"

Didn't school and coop teach you critical thinking and basic research skill? come on man seriously,

Picking which designation to pursue is pretty big career decision; were you just gonna rely on advice from internet without doing your own research? which took less than 3 minutes?
This is coming from someone with grade 1 grammar... Like seriously who uses "u" anymore? It just takes away all the credibility in your argument.

Clearly, you are an idiot and didn't read my question. I was asking if I needed additional schooling on top of the schooling I did in Canada and if courses would transfer over. A simple google search only tells what American courses I need to take and the route I need to take if I start from scratch.

You have over 800 posts, and if you contribute posts like these that don't add any value... then seriously why are you wasting your time here? Maybe its time to re-evaluate your purpose here. Just a thought.
Feb 14, 2016
857 posts
262 upvotes
xxxyyy wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 8:20 pm
This is coming from someone with grade 1 grammar... Like seriously who uses "u" anymore? It just takes away all the credibility in your argument.

Clearly, you are an idiot and didn't read my question. I was asking if I needed additional schooling on top of the schooling I did in Canada and if courses would transfer over. A simple google search only tells what American courses I need to take and the route I need to take if I start from scratch.

You have over 800 posts, and if you contribute posts like these that don't add any value... then seriously why are you wasting your time here? Maybe its time to re-evaluate your purpose here. Just a thought.
its internet, who cares about grammar;

if you can't decide your own career path even after working at "2 co-ops at a big accounting firm in Canada and 1 co-op in the US for a Fortune 500"; you seriously need to think about what you learned in school and during work

But yes 150 hour education requirement is any school including Canadian universities; again took me 10s to search that on google

people won't always hand you the answers in real work;
Jan 23, 2017
17 posts
3 upvotes
etobicoke
I have been (un)fortunate to work along with the 'next gen'...
They want the answer rather than to find them...
They want someone to listen to them when their feelings are hurt...
They also have collective think, and don't have the social skills to mix and mingle with the old staff (who already believe that these kids are entitled)...

As I teach my 3 year old - Gimme Gimme Gimme, you don't get, don't you know your manners yet?
Aug 21, 2016
7 posts
2 upvotes
JIB9022 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 3:33 pm

I have to agree with OP. You sound like a little kid. OP was asking if its worth the time to pursue a designation in another country over the one he is currently working towards. It's a fair question nonetheless and there's no right and wrong answer/opinion. You sound so immature and act like a "smart-ass" as if you have never asked other people a question before.