Cell Phones

should I expect Wind to raise prices like everyone else?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2014 9:51 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
soccerboy wrote: true for people who have no self-control.
You are good then. When my LTE colleagues need some data because they are at quota before month end, I am there to help as long as I have enough battery to support tethering.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Why try to under-cut WIND for a measly $20 sim card when in the bigger picture they are trying to save you money ?
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
370 upvotes
Vancouver
It's a $28 sim card. And if you don't use it for 60 days, it becomes deactivated, and you have to buy another one. What kind of non-sense is that? I paid for it, it should be good for the next 100 years. How come I have to pay for it, and then they get to deactivate it within a few weeks of time.

You know who else charges $25 + tax for a sim card? The big five (Bell, Rogers, Fido, Telus, and Virgin). Isn't Wind supposed to be less evil than them?

Mobilicity only charges $10 for a sim card. They even given them out for free if you find the right location. Mobilicity provides a better monthly package too. If I wasn't too poor to afford a monthly package I would still be with Mobilicity. Unfortunately, Mobilicity doesn't offer by the minute plans.

PLUS, are you really telling me to "oh come on, just let them make a profit!" If that attitude were accurate, why shouldn't we just feel the same way about Rogers charging $80? That whole attitude would put the work we're doing at Red Flag Deals to shame. Frankly, as a consumer I feel it is my right to pay as little as possible for the best service that money will buy, in the same way that corporations are here to profit as much as possible by offering as little service as possible. I feel like the two attitudes, greed and penny-pinching, they breath the other into existence. It's like two opposite poles of a spectrum.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
LostInTruth wrote: Why try to under-cut WIND for a measly $20 sim card when in the bigger picture they are trying to save you money ?
No and yes.
The sim costs $25 + tax
Wind service does save us money
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
mofesto wrote: It's a $28 sim card. And if you don't use it for 60 days, it becomes deactivated, and you have to buy another one. What kind of non-sense is that? I paid for it, it should be good for the next 100 years. How come I have to pay for it, and then they get to deactivate it within a few weeks of time.

You know who else charges $25 + tax for a sim card? The big five (Bell, Rogers, Fido, Telus, and Virgin). Isn't Wind supposed to be less evil than them?

Mobilicity only charges $10 for a sim card. They even given them out for free if you find the right location. Mobilicity provides a better monthly package too. If I wasn't too poor to afford a monthly package I would still be with Mobilicity. Unfortunately, Mobilicity doesn't offer by the minute plans.

PLUS, are you really telling me to "oh come on, just let them make a profit!" If that attitude were accurate, why shouldn't we just feel the same way about Rogers charging $80? That whole attitude would put the work we're doing at Red Flag Deals to shame. Frankly, as a consumer I feel it is my right to pay as little as possible for the best service that money will buy, in the same way that corporations are here to profit as much as possible by offering as little service as possible. I feel like the two attitudes, greed and penny-pinching, they breath the other into existence. It's like two opposite poles of a spectrum.
Telus charges $10 for a sim
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote: No and yes.
The sim costs $25 + tax
Wind service does save us money
This is the customer base they chose to go after. Ones that don't want to pay more.
Banned
Mar 14, 2014
258 posts
25 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: LTE clients of the big 3 have to be careful as 20 minutes of usage of LTE will result in overage charges LOL. They can use data only in the beginning of billing cycle
And clients of wind/mobi don't have to worry about it since data is too slow to be of use ..so don't even have to get data add on
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
rfdmorons wrote: And clients of wind/mobi don't have to worry about it since data is too slow to be of use ..so don't even have to get data add on
If people don't mind waiting... they can be doing something else...

Next thing you know, they won't be using data at all and look how much they can save!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
soccerboy wrote: Self control is also a virtue
So we are both virtuous in different ways. I can make more "friends" with the data giveaway. :razz:
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
soccerboy wrote: or lose friends because they relied on your data but was disappointed with the speed.
Beggars can't be choosers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
soccerboy wrote: or lose friends because they relied on your data but was disappointed with the speed.
Those 4 Seasons clients may not understand people going into a motel with no pool, no party room and no gym.

By your definition people with a 24/7 T1 line will have a lot more friends than one with no phone at all. LOL
Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I am not going to bother with those so-called friends who take offence because of me not responding fast enough their Facebook/twitter/whatsapp...messages
Daniel

Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
370 upvotes
Vancouver
rfdmorons wrote: And clients of wind/mobi don't have to worry about it since data is too slow to be of use ..so don't even have to get data add on
I was with Mobi and data was fine when I needed it outside the house. I only used it for email and the occasional Google Maps directions. Android reported that I was using ~250mb most months. That means I was receiving and sending email non-stop as needed, checking Google directions as needed, and browsing the occasional website as needed -- and I only used 175-350mb per month. And I even found that you can now restrict apps which get to use mobile data, so if I had a data plan again, I would be using even less than that since I restricted a bunch of background apps (like Play Store update, etc).

Actually, there was the rare occasion when I had to wait for my spouse 30+ minutes, so I would stream an HD video, or ShoutCast internet radio, or even tether my laptop too (not because I needed to, just because I could... but I would have been able to manage without it too), and both were more than fast enough to watch/listen without interruption. So yes, Mobi data was fast enough for even my high bandwidth usage.

At one point we moved into a new apartment and we had to wait ~16 days for TekSavvy to come hook up our internet. So I got the 20GB add-on for Mobi, and the spouse and I were tethering our laptops at home. At times, both of us were watching YouTube videos and browsing. It was enough for us to survive until we got hooked up with internet at home. I was maxing out at 4.5 mbps download (on a Nexus i9250, so we didn't have LTE).

With that said, I would be a candidate for a Fido 400/400 plan, where I would benefit from being zoneless and have a stronger signal. However right now I'm unemployed, so I'm spending $10 a month with Wind's pay per minute. For the two of us, that is $60 a month in savings (compared to having monthly plans), or $720 a year. I would rather have that $720 at the end of the year than spend it just to get data on my phone. That's almost a month of rent for us. I could take a vacation for a whole month from work, just because I got a cheaper cellphone plan.

So if Mobi/Wind is offering "unlimited data", it really does need to be fast, because it's for people who want to use it for YouTube videos et al. If it's not going to be fast, than yes, it is pointless, because even the competitors have plans that cost the same but provide better value (sans access to HD video and radio streaming).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Mofesto: Go for Fido and let you billed for overage LOL.
Only Wind or Mobi (of all carriers) have that additional protection against overage. That is your consumer right to go for unlimited overage.
BTW a cell plan is not a substitute for home network . It is not geared for vdo streaming or hotspoting for on line game.
Daniel

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
258 posts
25 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: Mofesto: Go for Fido and let you billed for overage LOL.
Only Wind or Mobi (of all carriers) have that additional protection against overage. That is your consumer right to go for unlimited overage.
BTW a cell plan is not a substitute for home network . It is not geared for vdo streaming or hotspoting for on line game.
Speak for yourself...3G isn't..LTE is

I torrent movies and play xlive on tethered LTE on a rogers plan and used it as my primary internet for 7 months

The ping times are horrid for non LTE..makes everything seem unresponsive

But where do you get the absurdity that its anybody's right for unlimited anything from? A business should give its consumers unlimited everything?

I agree! The banks should let me have unlimited money withdraw! Lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
rfdmorons wrote: But where do you get the absurdity that its anybody's right for unlimited anything from? A business should give its consumers unlimited everything?
I said it is your consumer right to go for unlimited overage LOL
The big 3 of course would love to satisfy people's appetite
Only Wind is so dumb in limiting overage
Daniel

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)