Home & Garden

Should I get extended warranty for this Fridge and Stove?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2008 1:43 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 10, 2003
2553 posts
1 upvote
GTA

Should I get extended warranty for this Fridge and Stove?

(At Sears)

I'm getting these 2 appliances. Should I get the extended warranty for these?

LG fridge LFC23760
Kitchen Aid electric range stove YKESS907SS

The plans cost about $260-270 for a 5 year plan

I've read good and bad things about different brands and models but since [rfdlink=3]amazon[/rfdlink] doesn't sell large appliances it's hard to gauge.

Thanks
14 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
15237 posts
529 upvotes
Niagara Falls
For the most part I always say no to extended warrenties, but I don't know enough about these products to give you a proper reply.

However when was the last time you heard of a fridge or a stove breaking?

Out of everybody I know only my father in laws fridge has had a issue, and it was about 7 years after he bought it. It cost about $60 to fix but he did the repairs himself. Not sure how much it would have cost to have somebody come down and look at it.
HEATWARE (21 - 0) - evilbaby
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
2358 posts
315 upvotes
Kitchen Aid electric range stove YKESS907SS
---------------------------------------------------

We had this for a year and had no issues. Make sure you test self-clean within warranty period.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2003
2553 posts
1 upvote
GTA
thanks guys

my only qualms were that

1. LG has been making fridges for only 2-3 years, but then again I read on a previous RFD thread that lots of fridges share a common structure and just have a different brand stamped on

2 .Kitchenaid electric range oven: for that model I read some stories (including on RFD) that the glass top shattered in pieces (pretty dangerous no?)
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
1952 posts
568 upvotes
Saint-Bruno
My stove and fridge broke in the first 5 years. Stove the digital pannel busted (279$)+tx +installation. Fridge compressor died after 2 years.
Both are Frigidaire Gallery stainless, top of the line back then.

IMO, the firdge is the one that has the most channe of breaking in the first 5 years.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1338 posts
12 upvotes
Kitchen Aid do not have a good reputation. Repairs to the computer control module can run $800.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1784 posts
13 upvotes
we have a kitchenaid stainless steel fridge and gas range, both 4 years old now, only problem is one of the gas burner's igniter thing is mess up and the problem is that its a sealed unit, got a quote from a repairguy, its at least $150 to fix, i just left it. If I need to used it, out comes one of those lighter things for the bbq. But besides that, we're still glad we got the kitchenaid
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2003
2553 posts
1 upvote
GTA
is there anyway to negotiate on prices of the extended warranty plans??
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1338 posts
12 upvotes
espeed wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 12:16 am
is there anyway to negotiate on prices of the extended warranty plans??
I haven't tried it on a larger appliance but I "negotiated" the extended warranty on a TV I was buying. I had no intention of buying it (the warranty not the TV) just wanted to see how low the salesman would go. He dropped the price by about 60% before I finally said pass. On some smaller appliances where I have actually picked up the extended warranty, I normally don't pay more than 30% of what they are asking and in retrospect it has been money in their pocket. ON the older appliances, I never picked up the extended warranty. With todays appliances particularly the higher end ons (price was not necessarily quality wise) I would consider the extended warranty on the stoves.
You probably have more room negotiating extended warranty prices at FS as opposed to Sears but perhaps others can chime in.
May 11, 2002
199 posts
15 upvotes
GTA
nornet wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 3:12 pm
Kitchen Aid do not have a good reputation. Repairs to the computer control module can run $800.
I agree. Kitchenaid isn't like what it was 15 or more yrs ago. I bought the YKESA907PS02 range in Sept 2006 and the stove's electronic off button does not work. I have to shut it at the breakers. I googled this condition and it seems many people have the same problem. Never again for Kitchenaid. My first purchase of Kitchenaid stove and frig was in 1994 and when I replaced it all in 2006, it was still working well. They make cr@p now.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2006
1007 posts
nornet wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2008 10:27 am
I haven't tried it on a larger appliance but I "negotiated" the extended warranty on a TV I was buying. I had no intention of buying it (the warranty not the TV) just wanted to see how low the salesman would go. He dropped the price by about 60% before I finally said pass. On some smaller appliances where I have actually picked up the extended warranty, I normally don't pay more than 30% of what they are asking and in retrospect it has been money in their pocket. ON the older appliances, I never picked up the extended warranty. With todays appliances particularly the higher end ons (price was not necessarily quality wise) I would consider the extended warranty on the stoves.
You probably have more room negotiating extended warranty prices at FS as opposed to Sears but perhaps others can chime in.
At Sears the salespeople don't get involved with the extended warranties. The customer will get a phone call around the time the appliances are to go out of warranty and you are offered it over the phone. I'm not sure if there is any room for negotiation, I got the feeling it was take it or leave it. When I declined they did not call back or offer a reduced price for the extended warranty.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1536 posts
Toronto
nornet wrote:
Dec 21st, 2008 3:12 pm
Kitchen Aid do not have a good reputation.
That is so not true. My applicances are Kitchen Aid, have had them for 20 years and they operate and look like the day I bought them. I've replaced one heating element in the oven about 5 years ago.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1338 posts
12 upvotes
1yellowdog wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2008 11:27 am
At Sears the salespeople don't get involved with the extended warranties. The customer will get a phone call around the time the appliances are to go out of warranty and you are offered it over the phone. I'm not sure if there is any room for negotiation, I got the feeling it was take it or leave it. When I declined they did not call back or offer a reduced price for the extended warranty.
You are correct and since the OP said they were looking at Sears, there would be no negotiation. I forgot about the Sears call back. You might broach this subject with the sales people at Sears. Maybe they would move a little more on the price if they knew you were taking the EWP.
Dec 27, 2007
644 posts
4 upvotes
I usually decline EWP as a matter of practice. But, after researching for our appliances, we bought EWP for everything (It worked out to about $300 or $60 each).

We shopped Appliance Canada and Brick first, then we went to Sears (best EWP).

Sears sales staff are "not allowed" to mess around with the EWP prices. However, we held our ground on the all-in price. They ended up adjusting the prices of the appliances to make up for charging "full price" on the EWP.
× < >