• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2018 3:36 pm
[OP]
Feb 19, 2013
289 posts
535 upvotes
Toronto

Should i get a part time job during my full time MBA program

Hi - I am starting my full time MBA next month at Schulich and was offered a couple of hours a day consulting opportunity with my current employer. The hourly rates are pretty good. Just wondering if it is a good idea to work part time when pursuing a full time MBA. My current schedule shows all my classes from Mon- Thurs 2.30-5.30 PM so i would probably work from 9-11 AM .
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9797 posts
1346 upvotes
Toronto
If it doesn't seem that bad, why not. But I know Rotman 1st year is very busy where I would recommend against it. Find out if Schulich is like that.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1919 posts
310 upvotes
GTA
Congratulations on getting into Schulich's MBA. It might be best to focus on your full time program but everyone works differently so try it out the first few weeks and see if you can balance it.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4591 posts
830 upvotes
Focus on crushing it (really, really crushing it) in order to land a top internship and ultimately a top job.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Aug 12, 2017
12 posts
3 upvotes
TodayHello wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 11:06 pm
Focus on crushing it (really, really crushing it) in order to land a top internship and ultimately a top job.
I would agree with this.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1739 posts
277 upvotes
Brampton
I know people doing MBA full time who are graduate assistants/invigilators and so on part time, 10 to 15 hours a week at most though pay rates are very good as well especially for GA’s.

Studies are important but a little bit of work can help with money, references, more work experience, meeting new people, better school balance and so on. Schulich MBA is a 2 year program (shorter with a lot of transfer credits) I know.
[OP]
Feb 19, 2013
289 posts
535 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks all for your kind inputs, i have decided to give it a shot. I talked to my manager and he is ok with a flexible schedule. I set the expectations that there may be times i will give a very short notice as to when i can work and if i am not available on a particular day. If it doesn't work out in the first 2-3 weeks, we will end it.

I will probably make around $2k before taxes working 8-10 hours a week which would help cover all the expenses while my wife gets her PR and can work.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2411 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
guptasulabh7 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 4:37 pm
Thanks all for your kind inputs, i have decided to give it a shot. I talked to my manager and he is ok with a flexible schedule. I set the expectations that there may be times i will give a very short notice as to when i can work and if i am not available on a particular day. If it doesn't work out in the first 2-3 weeks, we will end it.

I will probably make around $2k before taxes working 8-10 hours a week which would help cover all the expenses while my wife gets her PR and can work.
Damn brah $50/hr? What do you do?