Art and Photography

Should I get the sony a6000 if I already have an s7 phone for video recording purposes?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2018 7:59 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes

Should I get the sony a6000 if I already have an s7 phone for video recording purposes?

I mainly use my phone for recording videos and while I am quite satisfied with its quality for the most part, I do wish there was a zoom option without a degrade in video quality. I currently just use a dolley zoom technique to get the zoom shots. Another thing I don't like is when recording in slow mo 240 fps, the phone only allows me to record in 720p. I was thinking about getting the sony a6000 since I have heard a lot of good things about it, but I noticed there is no 4k recording, it only records up to 60fps at 1080p which my phone can already do and the battery life is pretty bad. There's also no image stabilization on the a6000 and no external mic input. I do know the autofocus on the a6000 is supposely good and I can purchase different lens like the 55-210mm but I'm wondering if I should get it for recording videos or should I just save my money and use my s7 and maybe later down the line save up for an a6300?

I'm not really interested too much in photography only video recording if this helps.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7211 posts
1208 upvotes
For video, may be later model Rx100 or Panasonic GH5 / GH5S, which has some of the best video for a Camera if budget is not a problem.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
May 5, 2010
951 posts
268 upvotes
If what you want is video only, has good zoom and not mess around with lenses, the Sony RX10 mk II, III or IV are the best for that.
It has 4k, 1080p at 960 fps and the integrated lens is a 24-200mm (mk II) or 24-600mm (mk III & IV). The biggest con is the price.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
Unfortunately my budget is $1000 tops including tax. So I guess getting the a6000 is a waste of money then huh? Better just to save up for a better camera.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 5:17 am
If what you want is video only, has good zoom and not mess around with lenses, the Sony RX10 mk II, III or IV are the best for that.
It has 4k, 1080p at 960 fps and the integrated lens is a 24-200mm (mk II) or 24-600mm (mk III & IV). The biggest con is the price.
All of those camera's look really nice especially that 960fps slow motion and camera zoom except for the size and price :(
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 12:19 am
For video, may be later model Rx100 or Panasonic GH5 / GH5S, which has some of the best video for a Camera if budget is not a problem.
How about this one Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ1000K?

I need a bit more zoom then the rx100 can offer.
May 5, 2010
951 posts
268 upvotes
OP, can you make a full list of what you'll like to get with a camera? That way we can recommend you something that fits your criteria.

So far we know it has to be small since RX10 is too big for you, RX100's zoom isn't far enough and your budget is $1000 top including taxes. You mentioned 4k and slomo but are they a must? Are you looking to get an external mic right away? It'll eat into your budget too.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3728 posts
338 upvotes
tiny body, decently long zoom reach, higher-res slow-mo

i'm no camera shop but that doesn't exist?
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 3:15 pm
OP, can you make a full list of what you'll like to get with a camera? That way we can recommend you something that fits your criteria.

So far we know it has to be small since RX10 is too big for you, RX100's zoom isn't far enough and your budget is $1000 top including taxes. You mentioned 4k and slomo but are they a must? Are you looking to get an external mic right away? It'll eat into your budget too.
I would prefer a mirrorless camera, I don't want to carry around a 3-5lb camera all day but this isn't a set in stone requirement.

Lightweight and compact as I'll be bringing it for travel, however after looking at the rx10, I would be willing to get that camera considering the amount of features it has, pretty much checks off everything except size so I'm willing to compromise there. Although the price is abit high though and it doesn't look like you can change the lenses although the optical zoom on it is more then sufficient for my needs.
4k recording (not a must be preferable to futureproof)
1080p slow mo (must)
external mic input would be preferable otherwise I would need to get an external audio recorder like the zoom h1 which cost over $100.
either has zoom or I can purchase lenses to increase zoom (must)
good autofocus for videos (must)
OIS but if not, its ok as I will be getting a stabilizer to use the camera

I had a look at some videos earlier today regarding the rx100 5 and it seems to be a good choice except for maybe the optical zoom but I guess I could live without that for now. However I read that it only allows you to record up to 15 sec of slow motion video, is that true? I also checked out the 4th gen model of it and there doesn't seem to be much difference if I'm not mistaken but its like $100-200 cheaper.
Last edited by wolf30 on Mar 10th, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 6:04 pm
tiny body, decently long zoom reach, higher-res slow-mo

i'm no camera shop but that doesn't exist?
an a6300 or a6500 would fit the bill but quite pricey.
May 5, 2010
951 posts
268 upvotes
Like you said, RX10 seems to be the best choice and since you need a long range zoom, even if you get a A6300 or A6500, with a tele lens that is half or less reach than what the RX10's integrated lens (not removable) offers, they will be about the same size. Tele lenses are big.

In the case of RX100 mk V vs mk IV in term of super slow motion, if I recall correctly, the IV only does 2 seconds. Also, 15 seconds is more than plenty for 960 fps. If you play back 15 seconds video of 960 fps to 30 fps, it'll last 8 minutes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 11:34 pm
Like you said, RX10 seems to be the best choice and since you need a long range zoom, even if you get a A6300 or A6500, with a tele lens that is half or less reach than what the RX10's integrated lens (not removable) offers, they will be about the same size. Tele lenses are big.

In the case of RX100 mk V vs mk IV in term of super slow motion, if I recall correctly, the IV only does 2 seconds. Also, 15 seconds is more than plenty for 960 fps. If you play back 15 seconds video of 960 fps to 30 fps, it'll last 8 minutes.
Ya it does seem to be the best choice but it's quite pricey and I can't afford it right now. I think I might end up going with the Rx100 V and looking for an open box from bestbuy or something. It sucks that I have to spend an extra 100 or so just to get an external mic because sony chooses not to include mic inputs on their camera's unless you go for the top end models. Man this camera is gonna end up costing a fortune after I add in all of the extras I need to get (camera bag, extra batteries, stabilizer, etc.) Later down the line when I've saved up I'll pick up the RX10 M3.

Do you have any other recommendations for camera's under 1k?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3458 posts
769 upvotes
Toronto
wolf30 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 11:50 pm
Ya it does seem to be the best choice but it's quite pricey and I can't afford it right now. I think I might end up going with the Rx100 V and looking for an open box from bestbuy or something. It sucks that I have to spend an extra 100 or so just to get an external mic because sony chooses not to include mic inputs on their camera's unless you go for the top end models. Man this camera is gonna end up costing a fortune after I add in all of the extras I need to get (camera bag, extra batteries, stabilizer, etc.) Later down the line when I've saved up I'll pick up the RX10 M3.

Sony is your best option.

If no rush, wait for the A6500 deals from Dell.

Or wait for the 6700/7000 to be announced so the A6500 goes on sale, either from sellers or resellers.
May 5, 2010
951 posts
268 upvotes
wolf30 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 11:50 pm

haha, that's the classic tale of someone who buys a camera but doesn't planned the cost of all the extras. I do that all the time as well :(

With your criteria, you're pretty limited to Sony's camera. Unless you're willing to give up 960 fps, the new Panasonic ZS200 is supposed to do 120 fps at 1080p with a lot of other features like 5 axis OIS and it cost $1100. It'll also give you a 24-360mm equiv lens, but it is quite slower in term of aperture than the RX100 mk 5 so you'll be limited in low light. It's also for preorder right now.
The Sony RX100 mk 5 has being out for a while and tested & reviewed by many and praised a lot. You'll have to wait for reviews if you want to go for the ZS200.

https://www.downtowncamera.com/product/ ... rbon-grey/
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4767 posts
230 upvotes
Bro just use your phone, this is a deep rabbit hole$$$$$ especially if you're shooting outdoors where the light is good.