• Aug 18th, 2017 2:24 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 3, 2015
908 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto

Should I get a VPN with kodi?

Never used a VPN. But lately with all this stuff with kodi I'm starting to rethink. Maybe I should get a VPN. Or am I still safe to stream? I don't download or torrent. I just stream like I do with Netflix. What do you guys think?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7344 posts
730 upvotes
Victoria
I don't think so? It seems to me that every lawsuit out there has been based on p2p technology, because it's super easy for anyone to hop on p2p (aka torrent) and get a list of all the ip addresses sharing. Download and Streaming are harder for copyright trolls because it's between you and what server is hosting the stream. The can't just hop on and find a list of everyone else accessing it.

They always go after the low hanging fruit (torrents/p2p) because it's super easy. I've rarely (if ever) heard of copyright trolls going after anything else.
Aug 9, 2017
4 posts
It is upto you to use a VPN with Kodi. You can still find entertainment content that is not pirated and view that on Kodi without any VPN.

But to access humongous amount of entertainment you probably will need a VPN as most of it is pirated content, geo blocked.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3850 posts
348 upvotes
Montreal
The only issue could be add-ons that depend on p2p. For example, at one time, popcorn time was based on p2p. I don't really know if it is now.
Phils
Aug 9, 2017
4 posts
Yes if you want to view pirated content you might want to use a VPN but then again there are lot of other resources but that is only limited. Pirated content is itself a whole galaxy of entertainment.
[OP]
Feb 3, 2015
908 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
But I'm using beenu and convent on the Colossus repo. Don't think that p2p but does have alot of new Pirated stuff. Anyone else have a say?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2155 posts
166 upvotes
Can't comment on a VPN for Kodi user but will comment on VPNs in general. You have to be careful even with a VPN, they may use you to make a profit but tracking you as is the case with most free VPNs aka hotspot shield.

With the way things are you just don't know who to trust, I'd stick to a Canadian based VPN or if you find can find a reputable US based one.
Jan 12, 2017
122 posts
27 upvotes
Don't bother with a VPN, it'll throttle your bandwidth and if you don't download p2p or torrents, it's all good. Most legal issues revolve around 'loaded' boxes that stream illegal stuff; they're going after the box sellers/distributors, not the individual user. In the case of illegal streams, they go after the source, not the user at this point.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4171 posts
2519 upvotes
North York
PatK621 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:27 pm
Don't bother with a VPN, it'll throttle your bandwidth and if you don't download p2p or torrents, it's all good. Most legal issues revolve around 'loaded' boxes that stream illegal stuff; they're going after the box sellers/distributors, not the individual user. In the case of illegal streams, they go after the source, not the user at this point.
I am not sure what you meant by throttle bandwidth. If you meant speed, I agree there will be a slow down, but throttle, I don't think so

PIA off

PIA on - connected to US East

I am on WIRELESS by the way
How do I downvote this voting system?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6826 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
As stated above a vpn is only as good as the company behind it. Encrypting end to end traffic is entirely pointless if the company drops its pants and gives away your personal details at the first opportunity.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6263 posts
72 upvotes
Vancouver
konsensei wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:41 pm
I am not sure what you meant by throttle bandwidth. If you meant speed, I agree there will be a slow down, but throttle, I don't think so

PIA off

PIA on - connected to US East

I am on WIRELESS by the way
Those are phenomenal vpn speeds. Are you 100% certain you're 100% stealth and not "leaking" in any way? It would be interesting to see results from Speedtest.net. The share link has your ip address and other personal information removed. Typically, with a VPN one expect "great" speeds when you can get 60% of your maximum ISP speeds. PIA doesn't have a great reputation of stable and great VPN speeds btw.
ichpen wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 5:50 pm
As stated above a vpn is only as good as the company behind it. Encrypting end to end traffic is entirely pointless if the company drops its pants and gives away your personal details at the first opportunity.
Correct. One needs a verified logless VPN provider, preferably outside of the "14 eyes" countries.
Aug 9, 2017
4 posts
These are some of the fully loaded kodi boxes and could get along easily with a VPN
  • Roku Ultra 4k
  • Ebox T8 V
  • Google Chromecast Ultra
  • Xiaomi Mi
A lot of are available at https://www.kodivpn.co/best-kodi-boxes/
And you might need to make sure you use a paid VPN as free VPNs would be a pain!
Dec 3, 2007
864 posts
190 upvotes
Pavel wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:23 am
Those are phenomenal vpn speeds. Are you 100% certain you're 100% stealth and not "leaking" in any way? It would be interesting to see results from Speedtest.net. The share link has your ip address and other personal information removed. Typically, with a VPN one expect "great" speeds when you can get 60% of your maximum ISP speeds. PIA doesn't have a great reputation of stable and great VPN speeds btw.
I use PIA as well with Bell Fibe 50up/10down, and I don't notice my connection being slower on the computer I have PIA running on. There is a tiny bit of reduction, but when you start wit ha 50mbps connection, you don't even notice it. And it's worth the free reign it gives you :). The service has also gotten better since I started using it in January 2016. I would enable to kill switch so that my computer would disconnect if PIA stopped working, and now and then it would randomly stop working, but it hasn't done that in over a year now. I can set it and forget it.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3434 posts
286 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
No point in using a VPN for Kodi... You're just streaming which isn't illegal in Canada. Waste of money. You only need it if you're actively uploading copyrighted content (e.g., torrenting).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6263 posts
72 upvotes
Vancouver
Typhoonz wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 12:05 pm
No point in using a VPN for Kodi... You're just streaming which isn't illegal in Canada. Waste of money. You only need it if you're actively uploading copyrighted content (e.g., torrenting).
Eventually, this will likely change. But you're right. For now, a VPN is not necessary unless you want to watch UK sports or other UK media.