Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 19, 2007
314 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto

Should I hold off a winter jacket?

Currently, I have no jacket for the winter but I might need one soon. I was thinking of waiting for black Friday to get a jacket, but it's not until the end of November.

There's a sale on a nice winter peacoat at Guess.ca that will cost about $150 after discounts http://www.guess.ca/ProductDetails.aspx ... 94474F00L0
Is this a decent price for a peacoat jacket? Or are there any other upcoming sales that I should wait for? I would prefer getting a jacket before it begins snowing :evil:

Should I just purchase this now? The thing is, I usually wear small sized clothing and I don't know how which size the jacket should be. Should I just go for one size up (a medium)?
Guess size chart is here http://www.guess.ca/PopUps/SizeCharts/scM-Tops.html
Last edited by heyhey on Oct 23rd, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
20 replies
Feb 23, 2008
222 posts
Toronto
honestly,
guess has one of the best boxing day sales....50% everything in the entire store...so if i were you, i would try and hold off for as long as you can and wait till boxing day. I mean in a week or so its going to be november so try and hold off.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8186 posts
1124 upvotes
Until then why not pickup a coat at Goodwill? Who knows, you might just decide not to get the Guess one.
Jul 5, 2004
23828 posts
3392 upvotes
There's being reasonable when it comes to looking for deals, then there's being ridiculous. Freezing in the winter because you're waiting for a deal is ridiculous. Sorry, but my comfort is worth something to me. Somethings just don't have a price, and comfort is one of them.

Go get yourself a coat!
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2006
1731 posts
105 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 9:55 pm
Until then why not pickup a coat at Goodwill? Who knows, you might just decide not to get the Guess one.
Seriously if you're this deal hungry the Salvation Army or Value Village may be a good choice. I live in Vancouver and I still wouldn't wait into November to buy a winter coat.
Shaner wrote:
Oct 24th, 2009 12:20 am
There's being reasonable when it comes to looking for deals, then there's being ridiculous. Freezing in the winter because you're waiting for a deal is ridiculous. Sorry, but my comfort is worth something to me. Somethings just don't have a price, and comfort is one of them.

Go get yourself a coat!
Yeah I mean really there's saving on buying food and then there's only eating Kraft Dinner because it's a buck a meal. Get a coat.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3870 posts
3040 upvotes
Toronto
Since you don't have a winter jacket/coat, I assume this is your first winter in Canada? Unless you're from a northern country, you might think the next couple of weeks will get fairly chilly, so you would want one sooner rather than later. A peacoat isn't that warm when it gets really cold anyway; you'll need something down-filled.

That being said, a lot of people are quite comfortable in the winter without a thick coat as long as you wear several layers.
Nov 28, 2007
54 posts
1 upvote
Get the coat!
Its a slippery slope. First several cold days you are going wish you had a coat but then once those days pass, you are mostly going to consider waiting some more since you've already gone through several days.
Once a few more days of bum freezing temperature hits, you'll REALLY wish you bought something sooner.
So... again.. get a coat!
winter blows...
Feb 8, 2005
122 posts
8 upvotes
Calgary
Frankie3s wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 9:55 pm
I kid you not when I say I picked up a G-Star Pea Coat very similar to this one...
http://www.urbanminx.com/product.asp?pfid=UMX06710

at Value Village for only $9.99. I don't think anyone wore it to be honest with you. It looks brand new! I couldn't believe it.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4350 posts
603 upvotes
I got a nice one at H&M for $49.99. Sale ends today (November 4th)
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
MccM wrote:
Nov 4th, 2009 11:42 am
I kid you not when I say I picked up a G-Star Pea Coat very similar to this one...
http://www.urbanminx.com/product.asp?pfid=UMX06710

at Value Village for only $9.99. I don't think anyone wore it to be honest with you. It looks brand new! I couldn't believe it.
Value Village and the like are fuelled by donations so you can either find some real steals or some trash. Worth a look in any case.

If you really like that Guess? one, just treat yourself to it. It's not like that $50 will mean you don't get to eat for a month and if it is, then you shouldn't even be considering it in the first place.

Always buy things that are out of season.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Apr 21, 2009
308 posts
8 upvotes
trini_gyalie wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 6:56 pm
honestly,
guess has one of the best boxing day sales....50% everything in the entire store...so if i were you, i would try and hold off for as long as you can and wait till boxing day. I mean in a week or so its going to be november so try and hold off.
Yeah but don't bother - you won't find the jacket on Boxing Day. Get a coat now if you really need it, be it the Guess one or another one.
Apr 1, 2005
238 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
i thought their boxing day sales were about 25% off regular price and then 50% only on stuff on sale? i didn't see that everything was 50% during last year's boxing day sale.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
1708 posts
743 upvotes
heyhey wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2009 4:21 pm
Currently, I have no jacket for the winter but I might need one soon. I was thinking of waiting for black Friday to get a jacket, but it's not until the end of November.

There's a sale on a nice winter peacoat at Guess.ca that will cost about $150 after discounts http://www.guess.ca/ProductDetails.aspx ... 94474F00L0
Is this a decent price for a peacoat jacket? Or are there any other upcoming sales that I should wait for? I would prefer getting a jacket before it begins snowing :evil:

Should I just purchase this now? The thing is, I usually wear small sized clothing and I don't know how which size the jacket should be. Should I just go for one size up (a medium)?
Guess size chart is here http://www.guess.ca/PopUps/SizeCharts/scM-Tops.html
I would sign-UP to the GUESS email list
they send out coupons and you can sign-UP INSTORE to be a GUESS MEMBER
They give you a CARD, then you go online and REGISTER it :)

also starting now for ONE WEEK, Old Navy is having a 50% OFF OUTERWEAR SALE!..........YEAH! :)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
5418 posts
680 upvotes
Yes, I rather stay warm and healthy. Go get a Canada Goose jacket. Problem solved.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3855 posts
45 upvotes
Mississauga
1xTiMeR wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 9:11 pm
Yes, I rather stay warm and healthy. Go get a Canada Goose jacket. Problem solved.
FTW - me and my GF both have CG jackets. Was about $400-550, but it'll last at least 10 years if not more. Insane warmth for $55/year if not longer is totally worth it.

We can wear polos and t-shirts in the winter. It's awesome.